Jalen Hurd will be a SUPERSTAR in the NFL

James Conner was outplaying all of Le'Veon's season highs for most of the season. Were you not paying attention? ESPN kept showing the stats all the time. Its how Conner ended up being the starting RB for the AFC in the Pro Bowl.

Conner = 4.5 ypc, 113 ypg, 1 TD per game

Bell last year = 4.0 ypc, 129 ypg, 0.75 TD per game
Bell '16 = 4.9 ypc, 157 ypg, 0.75 TD per game
Bell '14 = 4.7 ypc, 138 ypg, 0.69 TD per game

He's definitely got him on TD's.

Reactions: NashVol11
I finally got around to watching Hurd's Baylor tape from this past season. I was impressed with him the few times I saw him on TV but all I gotta say after doing a more through review is WOW!!! Jalen Hurd looked so good this year at WR that its almost unbelievable to think he used to be a RB. This guy is so insanely talented. Losing that extra weight really improved his explosiveness. He was always quick for his size, now he's insanely quick even for a receiver. I can't wait to see what he does at the senior bowl and combine. I have a feelings he puts on a show. Jalen Hurd is a freak athlete and should test extremely well.

Just wanted to say this before the hype train starts on him in the lead-up to the 2019 NFL Draft.

Oh look, that didn't take long. Remember this exchange?

Once again keep getting excited over one season. The NFL is about SUSTAINED SUCCESS. Talk to me in 2-3 years.

Doubling down on your apparent need of a cat scan or psychiatric help; are you even remotely aware of how many times you've cited how good someone is (in your view at least) on small sample sizes, up to and including before ever taking a snap? You call out HOF predictions under those circumstances FFS.

And here you are, not even to the combine, calling out how good someone is going to be. Look, you wanting to make a prediction is your choice, party on. You need this post (and others like it) smashed over your head every time you try to move the goal posts on timelines when people cite examples of where actual field results contradict your predictions.

It's important you understand this isn't even about Hurd specifically. If you're going to swoon over how good someone is going to be before they're even drafted then you get to choke down what actually happens (or doesn't) on the field even if it contradicts your attempts at being an oracle.

Reactions: feathersax
My apologies D4H, you predicted AK to go for 1k rushing and receiving next year, not this one but did predict him to for 1750 this year which, well, he barely surpassed last years production. Here are a handful of other D4H doozies to go along with it .. my favorite is when you said "Guice and the UGA backs won't be that good" along with stating AK would be the best RB in the league the next few years. LOL

Almost every D4H prediction is for "next year".

Reactions: feathersax
By this time in 2001, Tom Brady was starting for New England right? It was his second year. 1992, Brett Favre was starting for Green Bay, in his second year. Philip Rivers was starting every game by year 3 (don't see Dobbs starting the 2019 season as the Steelers starting QB). Drew Brees was starting by year two. Luck, Manning and Stafford all started from day ONE. If Dobbs ends up having a Jeff Garcia type career you should be happy with it.

You serious dude? After one season as a starter and a rookie season as a backup you are already touting his "pace" for breaking records? Land of make believe you live in.

Rivers is the only one that wasn't starting by sometime in Year 2 of that group, and he was starter from Day 1 of his 3rd season.

About the only QB that he can point to right now is Kurt Warner, a guy he has both used as an example of why Dobbs will be a HOFer and bashed as a "system QB". And Warner didn't become an NFL starter until 5 years after he went pro, because he was cut by the Packers in 1994 and didn't even make the final roster. He then played 3 seasons in the Arena Football League, then signed with the Rams in 1998 and they had him play in NFL Europe in the spring, and then hardly played at all in 1998. And yet even Warner was starting by the beginning of his second actual NFL season.

Rivers is the only one that wasn't starting by sometime in Year 2 of that group, and he was starter from Day 1 of his 3rd season.

About the only QB that he can point to right now is Kurt Warner, a guy he has both used as an example of why Dobbs will be a HOFer and bashed as a "system QB". And Warner didn't become an NFL starter until 5 years after he went pro, because he was cut by the Packers in 1994 and didn't even make the final roster. He then played 3 seasons in the Arena Football League, then signed with the Rams in 1998 and they had him play in NFL Europe in the spring, and then hardly played at all in 1998. And yet even Warner was starting by the beginning of his second actual NFL season.
Wasn't that more the fact Trent Green got hurt than Warner winning the job outright?

We've wandered off Hurd but I don't think it's fair to make too much of Josh's position other than what it is right now...2nd string to Ben. Strident histrionics from a certain individual aside there's basically nothing to be made of anything unless and until it's reported Rudolph is overtaking him before the season or Ben isn't playing.

Also I'm taking this as a sign pretty soon D4H is going to move on from his Dobbs predictions and hype up someone else as the best ever, since it's becoming clear to even the most blind fanboy that Dobbs isn't going to be an NFL superstar.

Also I'm taking this as a sign pretty soon D4H is going to move on from his Dobbs predictions and hype up someone else as the best ever, since it's becoming clear to even the most blind fanboy that Dobbs isn't going to be an NFL superstar.

Actually he's already burned that bridge, at least if he's to be taken at his word.

No. I've already said it before that if Dobbs isn't a SUPERSTAR in the NFL, I'll stop making player evaluations. PERIOD.

Cause if I miss on him, then I don't know anything. Why? Cause I've never been more confident in a prospect as I am in Dobbs.

Maybe you should stop telling me what I should do and start learning how to evaluate QBs .. it isn't your thing by any stretch. Maybe you should start looking at history a little more before trying to predict the future. Also not your thing. You mention two QBs as your comparison yet one, Cunningham, was already starting games by his second season (google much?) taking over for an Eagle legend in Ron Jaworski.
Randall Cunningham Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Excuse me. I meant "full-time starter". Randall started a few games as a rookie but struggled and then was benched in favor of Jaworski. Then in his second season he was primarily used as a 3rd down running QB. This was the year the Eagles tried to use a two-quarterback system. Randall only supplanted Jaworski as the full-time starter in Year 3. And I think we can all agree Big Ben is much better than Ron Jaworski. Thus its not really a fair comparison.

And yes, you did predict AK to go 1k rushing and receiving this year and went wild about how we were going to see him become a bell cow RB with Ingram out the first four games. I pay attention to the NFL, just not ESPN's (sorry, BSPN) wild analysis. Further analysis showed that Conner (who I love his running style BTW) had six games, all prior to the Chargers game which you are where he had less than 65 yards rushing. Then you keep touting the injury but he still had 15 carries that game and 14 the game after, the final two games of the year. To finish this, Bell had 860 yards rushing his first season and over 1,300 his second which Conner was on pace for neither. Add in the fact that Bell's second season he went over 2,200 yards from scrimmage and we are back to not in Conner's league yet. Maybe you should do your own research and quit letting BSPN do it for you.

I know what I predicted with Alvin. And like I said with Dobbs, he has time to accomplish it. He just needs Payton to stop splitting reps between him and Ingram.

You can keep trying to lie all you want about Conner but everyone who watches ESPN saw the graphics. He was ON PACE to smash all of Bell's season highs until that ankle injury against the Chargers. Nonetheless, he was still voted the starting RB for the AFC in the Pro Bowl. I would say that is SUPERSTAR status. Not many guys are named the starter at their position in the Pro Bowl. That's a small step below being an All-Pro.

I don't know .. he could be that superstar WR and garner a top round pick with a strong combine. Has a Mike Evans body type but the laser 40 times will be the thing people are watching. A 6'4+ kid with a sub 4.5 time would thrust him into the first round most likely too.

First thing you've posted I agree with.

Good post. Mike Evans is a good comp for Jalen.

My apologies D4H, you predicted AK to go for 1k rushing and receiving next year, not this one but did predict him to for 1750 this year which, well, he barely surpassed last years production. Here are a handful of other D4H doozies to go along with it .. my favorite is when you said "Guice and the UGA backs won't be that good" along with stating AK would be the best RB in the league the next few years. LOL

Guice, Michel, and Chubb won't be superstars. As you can see I clearly said they would be good NFL RBs. Sorta like Mark Ingram. Solid back. Lots of yards. Maybe one or two Pro-Bowl selections in their careers. However, for me SUPERSTARS are guys who are perennially in the Pro Bowl, breaking records, and making the All-Pro team every now and then. Guice, Michel, and Chubb won't be doing that. Alvin is already doing that. And I expect Rashaad Penny and John Kelly to do that as well from the 2018 RB class.

And yes, I kinda felt this season would be a down year for Kamara and the Saints. Now the Saints definitely didn't have a down year and Alvin was about as good as I thought he would be. Once Mark Ingram is let go and the Saints turn the offense over to Alvin he'll have the 1,000 yard rushing/1,000 yard receiving season that I've been predicting.

@Dobbs 4 Heisman whats you take on the Duke QB in the upcoming draft ?

Haven't watched any film of him. I'll be watching the senior bowl closesly this week and then delving into my film study of all the top prospects. Don't worry I'll have a full breakdown of all the QBs in due time like I did with last year's class.

All I can say right now based on my early impressions, this QB class is not as talented as last year's class but it does have some solid prospects. The top-end talent is not incredibly elite but there is gonna be a lot of solid depth in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Reactions: 508mikey
Conner = 4.5 ypc, 113 ypg, 1 TD per game

Bell last year = 4.0 ypc, 129 ypg, 0.75 TD per game
Bell '16 = 4.9 ypc, 157 ypg, 0.75 TD per game
Bell '14 = 4.7 ypc, 138 ypg, 0.69 TD per game

He's definitely got him on TD's.

Once again, Conners stats took a dip after that ankle injury in Week 13. Before that he was on pace to beat all of Le'Veon's season highs. Or at least that is what ESPN keep saying.

Reactions: 508mikey

No. I can also point to Aaron Rodgers. Who like Dobbs had to sit behind a future Hall of Fame QB.

Not many QBs get drafted into a team with a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB. I always said Dobbs was only gonna supplant Big Ben due to injury. Luckily for Big Ben he's been pretty durable this year. We'll see if that continues.

Aaron Rodgers spent 3 full seasons on the bench playing behind Brett Favre. Dobbs has only spent 2 years behind Big Ben as of now. I would say he's right on track to having a legendary career like Aaron Rodgers.

No. I can also point to Aaron Rodgers. Who like Dobbs had to sit behind a future Hall of Fame QB.

Not many QBs get drafted into a team with a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB. I always said Dobbs was only gonna supplant Big Ben due to injury. Luckily for Big Ben he's been pretty durable this year. We'll see if that continues.

Aaron Rodgers spent 3 full seasons on the bench playing behind Brett Favre. Dobbs has only spent 2 years behind Big Ben as of now. I would say he's right on track to having a legendary career like Aaron Rodgers.
The thing about Favre/Rodgers was that everybody knew Rodgers was good. That's why the Packers didn't mind letting Favre go when he couldn't decide if he wanted to retire or not. Pittsburgh has reworked Ben's deal to keep him there, they don't want him to leave.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan

Nope. I've already said this many times. If Dobbs isn't a SUPERSTAR, I will stop evaluating players all together. There isn't a QB prospect I can remember that have been more sure of than Dobbs. If he isn't a SUPERSTAR, then obviously I don't know what I'm talking about and I will refrain from doing it anymore. As you can see, even becoming a decent starting QB in the NFL isn't enough for me. Dobbs will have to become a superstar.

All I'm waiting for is for Dobbs to get his chance. You guys are the ones that want to write him off before he's even been given a chance to show us what he's got. A few snaps against the Raiders doesn't prove anything. Let's wait until Dobbs gets a couple of starts under his belt before writing him off. As of now, ya'll are basically trying to write him off because he hasn't supplanted a future Hall of Fame QB or he hasn't been perfect in his limited opportunities. I will remind ya'll once again that Aaron Rodgers was in a similar position and he spent 3 years sitting behind Brett Favre.

Dobbs is fine. His time will come. And I'm confident when he gets his shot he will succeed.

The thing about Favre/Rodgers was that everybody knew Rodgers was good. That's why the Packers didn't mind letting Favre go when he couldn't decide if he wanted to retire or not. Pittsburgh has reworked Ben's deal to keep him there, they don't want him to leave.

But when did they know that? Was it after his first season? His second season? Or after the third year on the bench?

Josh just finished his second season. He played great in the pre-season. Had one great play against the Ravens in a critical moment. And then a couple of unimpressive drives against the Raiders. That is hardly enough time to make any sort of determination. Rodgers definitely came in with more expectations as a 1st round pick and the assumed successor. I'm not saying their situations are exactly the same. All I'm saying is its very rare to see a young QB supplant a future Hall of Fame QB after a year or two. I'm citing Aaron Rodgers to show that it took even him 3 years to supplant Brett Favre.

Dobbs is fine. Just cause he hasn't taken the job from Big Ben after Year 2 doesn't mean he can't be a SUPERSTAR in this league. You guys just want to declare victory in saying I was wrong about Dobbs before letting the story play itself out.

VN Store

Back