The Grill and BBQ thread

Depends on what you're looking for. I've had good luck with Caribbean flavors for smoking.

For the brine:
  • 2 ½ cups water
  • ½ cup dark rum
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 ½ tablespoon molasses
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 tablespoon ginger
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the rub:
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

How many lbs of chicken?

1st swing at Dry aging my own beef in my fridge is underway. Packed an 11lb NY Strip Loin into the UMAI bag and vac sealed it. Took a few tries but finally got a great seal with minimal to no air inside. Now we wait! Going to let this one go 30-35 days

View attachment 188276
I have not dry aged anything for longer than 3 days , but I thought dry aging requires air. Aren't you wet aging. If that's what it's called?

I have not dry aged anything for longer than 3 days , but I thought dry aging requires air. Aren't you wet aging. If that's what it's called?

The membrane (bag) around the meat actually breathes or let’s air out. It’s not a normal bag. This allows it to be safe to let the steak age in any fridge. It also isn’t stored in its own juices like a typical wet age. The results give you tender beef and the “nutty” and “intense” flavors you get with typical dry aged beef.

There’s definitely debate on the process but even then there is very little debate about its effectiveness. Check out some pics and discussion here: Another round with Umai

The membrane (bag) around the meat actually breathes or let’s air out. It’s not a normal bag. This allows it to be safe to let the steak age in any fridge. It also isn’t stored in its own juices like a typical wet age. The results give you tender beef and the “nutty” and “intense” flavors you get with typical dry aged beef.

There’s definitely debate on the process but even then there is very little debate about its effectiveness. Check out some pics and discussion here: Another round with Umai
Thanks, old dog, new trick. It's always nice to learn new things.
I'd like to give it a try, but would never eat that much steak. Dear wife doesn't eat steak. I would need to plan ahead when I know we will have several family members here.
Are you in Nashville? Where did you get the meat?

Thanks, old dog, new trick. It's always nice to learn new things.
I'd like to give it a try, but would never eat that much steak. Dear wife doesn't eat steak. I would need to plan ahead when I know we will have several family members here.
Are you in Nashville? Where did you get the meat?

I’m actually in the same boat as you, wife doesn’t eat red meat. I plan on cutting these up and inviting people over. Not sure on freezing them but may also do that if I any left. Since this was my first try I got that strip loin from costco. Costs less. Usually I get my meat from Porter Road Butcher in East Nashville.

OK Niner....any updates on the Roccbox?
Amazing. I absolutely love it and use it for more than just pizza. I’ve made some of the best steaks I’ve ever had in this thing.
I will say that my first attempt at pizza was pretty bad. I tried doing it with uncooked dough and it stuck to the peel and was an absolute mess. They now sell an accessory to help turn the pizza in the oven in addition to the peel which makes it so much easier. What I personally started doing to make it easier is use cooked bread like naan or pita and make flat breads. It’s way less of a mess and they only take about 20 seconds (yes seconds) to cook.
Roccbox is coming out with new lines of pizza ovens that will be bigger but without a doubt they will be expensive. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Amazing. I absolutely love it and use it for more than just pizza. I’ve made some of the best steaks I’ve ever had in this thing.
I will say that my first attempt at pizza was pretty bad. I tried doing it with uncooked dough and it stuck to the peel and was an absolute mess. They now sell an accessory to help turn the pizza in the oven in addition to the peel which makes it so much easier. What I personally started doing to make it easier is use cooked bread like naan or pita and make flat breads. It’s way less of a mess and they only take about 20 seconds (yes seconds) to cook.
Roccbox is coming out with new lines of pizza ovens that will be bigger but without a doubt they will be expensive. Hope this helps.
Boom! Thanks for the review!

Boom! Thanks for the review!
You got it! I have a ton of cooking gadgets. If you don’t have the char broil big easy do yourself a favor and get one. You can find them as low as $100 and it’s worth every penny. Cook a prime rib in it and thank me later. It’ll take about an hour and a half to cook and it’s the easiest thing in the world to use.

You got it! I have a ton of cooking gadgets. If you don’t have the char broil big easy do yourself a favor and get one. You can find them as low as $100 and it’s worth every penny. Cook a prime rib in it and thank me later. It’ll take about an hour and a half to cook and it’s the easiest thing in the world to use.

Nice!For $100 you can't go wrong with that.

I just got a Ninja Foodi and so far, I'm impressed. I've only made wings, ribs (baby back & St. Louis) and fries, etc. The ribs were excellent.

I haven't cooked beef in it, yet. It has so many settings.

With it cranking out that much heat does it get hot underneath? What do you place it on?

With it cranking out that much heat does it get hot underneath? What do you place it on?
So it has metal legs that fold out like a tripod so it sits elevated (not very high though). The body of the Roccbox get very hot, but it cools relatively quickly. I have a small patio table that I put the Roccbox on when I use it. So far no issues and it hasn’t done any damage to the table. I definitely would’ sit it on plastic, but besides that you should be good. Just know the Roccbox isn’t very big. It’s only 10 inches wide. It weighs roughly about 50 pounds so they say it’s “portable” but trust me you don’t want to be lugging it all over the place- especially because you’ll need a propane tank too.

So it has metal legs that fold out like a tripod so it sits elevated (not very high though). The body of the Roccbox get very hot, but it cools relatively quickly. I have a small patio table that I put the Roccbox on when I use it. So far no issues and it hasn’t done any damage to the table. I definitely would’ sit it on plastic, but besides that you should be good. Just know the Roccbox isn’t very big. It’s only 10 inches wide. It weighs roughly about 50 pounds so they say it’s “portable” but trust me you don’t want to be lugging it all over the place- especially because you’ll need a propane tank too.
Only 10 inches wide. Means small pizzas?
Did you use a wood or metal peel? Did you put corn meal (preferred) or flour on it before placing dough? Place hot ingredients on the dough? There are good recipes available. Usually with very little oil.
I've been cooking pizza on a big Green egg for about 15 years, and it takes a while to learn. Both dough and your oven. Good flour from Italy is good place to start.

For Christmas I did a 24 hour sous vide brisket at 155 then a 3 hour smoke at 250, was very pleased with the results.
That’s a great idea. Never thought of sous vide brisket. I bet the moisture was fantastic. How was the texture?

How is it dry aged if it’s vac sealed in a bag?

See my second post after my original one. On different BBQ forums there’s def some debate on it but the results at the end are prototypical dry aged results. I’ll share my results in 3 weeks. It’s definitely turning colors now though and hardening up like leather on the outside.

Thanks for the answer! I appreciate it.

Only 10 inches wide. Means small pizzas?
Did you use a wood or metal peel? Did you put corn meal (preferred) or flour on it before placing dough? Place hot ingredients on the dough? There are good recipes available. Usually with very little oil.
I've been cooking pizza on a big Green egg for about 15 years, and it takes a while to learn. Both dough and your oven. Good flour from Italy is good place to start.
Yea, they are definitely small pizzas. I have a metal peel. I only tried once to do raw dough. I used flour kept the dough cold then put the ingredients on and quickly put it in and it stuck to the peel or just fell apart. The naan bread works wonders and is so much easier but I will eventually try dough again. Thanks for the suggestion!

You got it!
Do you plan on getting one? If you do your friends and family will be super jealous.

I was telling my brother about it and he's into cooking contraptions and gadgets. I'm also considering pulling the trigger even though I have very little room!

Yea, they are definitely small pizzas. I have a metal peel. I only tried once to do raw dough. I used flour kept the dough cold then put the ingredients on and quickly put it in and it stuck to the peel or just fell apart. The naan bread works wonders and is so much easier but I will eventually try dough again. Thanks for the suggestion!

Use corn meal tossed on the peel then place the dough on top of the corn meal.

Use corn meal tossed on the peel then place the dough on top of the corn meal.
Yep, corn meal (not corn meal mix). Kind of like letting the dough slide over rollers or ball bearings. Sound like the dough might be too moist too. A coarse ground might be more effective??
I have a wood peel that I use to load the pizza. I have never tried my stainless peel except to take a cooked pizza off.

Last edited:
Reactions: UT_Dutchman

VN Store

Back