Statement hire.

Hell if we gonna play the state game if he got to 2 Utah on many plays color me surprised.
Yeah. Its easy to sit here and say "let's do what Clemson or ________ high scoring teams did/does".

UTs OL was a ? to start the season. When Hall couldn't get healthy, Kennedy dropped out after 1 game, and Trey never did look the same and eventually was out, it went from a ? to just flat out bad.
About all they knew about JG was that he could take a hit and get up from last year.
The defense wasn't terrible but it wasn't very deep or dependable late in games for that reason. Leaning on them if you re offense is going 3 and out wasn't going end any better.

At the end of the day (with this specific team and roster), shortening games, limiting the amount of possesions and trying to keep your QB upright and on the field was the game plan. As the team becomes more talented and experienced to can't start to dive into different things but this roster didn't allow it.

I think that he is a good hire, but he is coming into a hostile environment to say the least. He will inherit an undersized O-line (albeit with some incoming freshmen talent) with skill players that are good, but not great by most standards for one reason or the other. He can coach them up no doubt, but the fan base and the administration are frustrated and hungry for wins now. Add to that the fact that he is one of if not the highest paid OC in the country, expectations will be high for him to make an immediate and measurable difference in both offensive production and W's. I am glad that he is here, but he has a lot of work to do to meet expectations and temper the pride that has been hurt in recent years under former HC and OC tandems. I hope he is up for it.

Side note, if he is up for the challenge, he may prove very valuable in helping to groom a somewhat young coaching staff as well as the players.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Yeah. Its easy to sit here and say "let's do what Clemson or ________ high scoring teams did/does".

UTs OL was a ? to start the season. When Hall couldn't get healthy, Kennedy dropped out after 1 game, and Trey never did look the same and eventually was out, it went from a ? to just flat out bad.
About all they knew about JG was that he could take a hit and get up from last year.
The defense wasn't terrible but it wasn't very deep or dependable late in games for that reason. Leaning on them if you re offense is going 3 and out wasn't going end any better.

At the end of the day (with this specific team and roster), shortening games, limiting the amount of possesions and trying to keep your QB upright and on the field was the game plan. As the team becomes more talented and experienced to can't start to dive into different things but this roster didn't allow it.
Im agreeing with you and don't forget Johnson at Center although he is not really a center, he was not effective at leading the OL at all. I think the biggest thing to take away from the Chaney hire is he has been effective at matching a gameplan with the personnel he has to do the job IMO. We should see some blocking schemes that allow the backs to at least get a head of steam or for JG to be able to count to 3 Mississippi of progression before getting smacked. We didn't have that luxury this year.

Reactions: BeecherVol

VN Store

Back