Could it be Chaney?

What I remember about the Chaney offense was effective between the 20s and red zone death. Would go down field throwing it ten, fifteen yards a completion, overthink it in the redzone and get cute, run left, run right, trick plays. Next time he'd run, run, run it down their throats, then throw 3 into the endzone from the 18. If he is still doing that, I'll need to shave my head if he comes here.

Side note, why does everyone forget that every offensive coordinator that's out there didn't start off being that. Some of the best ones have blown up after their first season in the driver's seat. Do we have to have some 5 year experienced play caller? I'd rather a guy who knows how to coach his position assignment and utilize his assistant coaches to come up with a game plan. Most of us have played some form of football game, picking what play we think works best at what point, what's working and what isn't. It isn't rocket science. Not saying I could do the job, but to believe that person has to be one of the top 5 OCs or it's a bust is crazy to me. Out of the 700 or so, non coordinator/head coaches, there has to be many who are very good coordinators who haven't had their turn at the helm.

Yeah, Bama and Clemson donโ€™t have DT QBs and they seem just fine.

Lol bama? They have all the talent in the world, as does Clemson. They're already at the peak, we're trying to beat those with more, using less. And fwiw both use spread and rpos with tempo.

Chaney cant get UGA, #3 in team talent, over the hump. How would he do it here with a lot less talent?

Reactions: 08Vol
Good. He can tell him what NOT to do.
If it is Chaney, it would be interesting that Pruitt would be choosing the guy that he completely shut down in the second half of the NC game last year.

This logic never stopped Tennessee before. EXAMPLE: Dooley coached team beat Butch coached team, but we hired Butch regardless

Reactions: jbr82
We need to be realistic. Chaney is good in my opinion
There are some on here that would not have been in favor of hiring Urban Meyer out of Utah. Unproven. Junior Varsity league
There are some who would not approve of hiring Saban as head coach out of Toledo.
Saban got hired out of Toledo and did well at Michigan State.
Tressell coached at Youngstown State and did well but it is not the Big 10, so some would not have wanted to hire him either.

So would most be on board withChaney? If not why? Curious to see what kind of negatives people have about him.
Chaney would be a good hire. Can help mentor CJP as well, with his experience. If Pittman comes with him its an outstanding hire, but I doubt that happens cause CJP wouldn't want to replace CWF.

Dawgs are very upset at Chaney, Fields leaving, and other players declaring early. Would be a nice get for us to take advantage of their chaos. Not sure if he fits the fast paced style Pruitt is considering but Chaney knows how to call plays.

Where do you get the information Pruit is looking for fast paced style of offense?? Not disputing you statement, but I have not heard he is considering a fast pace style. I thought he wanted clock control, run football. I know he has interviewed some oc that were fast paced, but not seen where he made any offers to them with exception of possible yurich. And I say possibe cause in my opinon I don't think we made an offer to him. I know one source says we did, but no confirmation on it. I hope you are right on the fast paced style from Pruitt.

Chaney is a great coach, but like what another poster said...his playcalling was frustrating when he was at Tennessee. Great between the 20s and tried to get too cute in the red zone. I do think his stints under coaches who push the power run game has improved his system and his playcalling, but he still makes a lot of head-scratching calls in critical situations. I would be happy if he got the job just because the offense would absolutely improve and at least be productive. Not sure they could be elite, but that probably has much more to do with talent and development.

Lol bama? They have all the talent in the world, as does Clemson. They're already at the peak, we're trying to beat those with more, using less. And fwiw both use spread and rpos with tempo.

Chaney cant get UGA, #3 in team talent, over the hump. How would he do it here with a lot less talent?

I didnt know Chaney coached offense and defense. Maybe Smart in the 2nd half of the Bama game thought he could stop Bama for 2 Qts and win the game. Went all conservative and playing not to lose. Smart is suppose to be the Defensive guru. Chaney did not have any problem putting points on the board here with Bray and Tn did not have all the talent in the world but they threw up some points. Tn had a defense that was giving up 600yds a game it seemed like.

Reactions: memtownvol
Which is more than enough points with the defense CJP is more than capable of putting together. How many points per game do you think are necessary?

It depends on if you want a conference championship. For a conference championship it will take more than 29 points a game. I think we could win maybe 10 games a year with that, and that is with a very good defense.

At this point, Iโ€™m not buying anything until we hear it from Pruitt or the AD. Too much of this 90% done stuff. Weโ€™ve either 100% hired someone OR we havenโ€™t.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Chaney is a great coach, but like what another poster said...his playcalling was frustrating when he was at Tennessee. Great between the 20s and tried to get too cute in the red zone. I do think his stints under coaches who push the power run game has improved his system and his playcalling, but he still makes a lot of head-scratching calls in critical situations. I would be happy if he got the job just because the offense would absolutely improve and at least be productive. Not sure they could be elite, but that probably has much more to do with talent and development.
Some of the pressure to do that was the lack of the threat of a running attack.

If it is Chaney, it would be interesting that Pruitt would be choosing the guy that he completely shut down in the second half of the NC game last year.
Yes shut down 2nd half, but got beat up 1st half. Either way, 23 points was 3rd most given up all year and only by 3 points (Auburn with 26).

Id be more concerned with this year, only having 24 on ut until forced to use fields to jumpstart the run game. They seemed pretty predictable without fields getting reps. And the last 2 scoring drives were pure muscle, not ingenuity or creativity.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart now dealing with toughest part of managing a top-tier program

The movement we witnessed Friday might not be limited to players. Donโ€™t be surprised if we see some coaches leave is all over as well. Tennessee, which has gone well over a month now without filling its offensive coordinator vacancy, is said to be eying Georgiaโ€™s Jim Chaney. Chaneyโ€™s three-year contract is due to expire at the end of the academic year. He had to share coordinating duties with James Coley this past season, as well as move from coaching quarterbacks to tight ends, and I;m told still has property on a lake up in East Tennessee. Also, Georgia clearly has one of the best offensive line coaches in the nation in Sam Pittman. With Alabamaโ€™s offensive line coach Brent Key recently leaving to join Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech, donโ€™t be surprised if the Crimson Tide turns their eyes toward Pittman. No way that Georgia would give up Pittman without a vicious fight, but itโ€™s awfully hard to out-compensate Bama.

Mediocre resume, so not that excited, but we could do a lot worse. Just hate hes married to pro style QBs and lack of tempo. 0 innovation. Good enough to get us relevant but not over the hump

You are the know it all. NOT!!!! Quit acting like you know anything. You don't. Your posts have proved you don't know squat! You are like a child with a below average iq posting on this board!!!!

Reactions: Devo182
Chaney did not have any problem putting points on the board here with Bray and Tn did not have all the talent in the world but they threw up some points.

Was this 2010? 27 ppg
2011? 20 ppg
2012? 36 ppg - aww yes, this is the cherry you remember. Let's forget before that.

This is what I mean, people remember his good years but seem to ignore his entire resume.

Thereโ€™s some noise on the Dawg boards about Pittman too but theyโ€™re talking about him going to Bama.

If Pitman goes to bama, Chaney is also a possibility to go. If we wanted Chaney should have already got a contract with him. Has Enos been officially named oc at Bama?

We can't please everyone. No matter if we would've gotten Peyton Manning or Sean Peyton, fans will always criticize play calling.

VN Store

Back