Tennessee Football is done

Lol

I'll take the 85 season going into the 86 Sugar Bowl all day long.
That Sugar Bowl was just about the best game plan that I've ever seen.

88 was the dumper season before Butch came along.

There's no excuse ever to loose to UK and or Vandy.
Honest typo......supposed to be ‘85

We were done, we are now rebuilding by a coach that HATES to lose. IF, JP can't get UT back, it won't be from lack of effort and we'll have much better recruits for next guy.

It hurts me to say this, but it's time we face the facts as a fanbase. This program will never be relevant in the SEC again. At least not any time soon. Bama and Georgia are getting too many elite athletes at too quick of a pace and Florida is about to be dominant again with Florida State and Miami falling apart along with them having the 2nd best coach in the SEC at the helm. Combine that with having to play 1 other team out of the west every year and a decent South Carolina program that seems to be improving, and it doesn't make for a promising outcome. There's no reason to think recruiting will pick up any time soon either. 7-5 doesn't sell any better than 5-7 when you're going up against Florida, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, and LSU for talent. Not to mention very few proven coaches want to coach in Knoxville. There may be years where an 9-3 finish happens, but there's no possibility of us going to Atlanta over the next 5-10 years unless it's for a kickoff game

Cool. So does that mean you are done as a fan?

A LOT dramatic. Boo hoo. Woe is me. We will never be good. Everyone else is better. Wallow in my own pity.

Grow up and suck it up.
Yeah, I guess just accepting mediocrity and continuing to think things will change is self pity huh? We're a Darius Slayton routine catch away from being a 4-8 team this past year. You morons think that because a guy bounced around a few schools with elite talent and has a country accent that he knows what he's doing. Even worse y'all think that because the Tennessee version of Mark Richt hired him that he's the right guy

Reactions: Mtnvol80
If you are convinced UT is done I suggest the following 2 steps: 1. Donate all of your UT gear to a local Goodwill or similar charity. 2. Choose a new team from the following list: UK, Vandy, UGA, Lenoir- Ryne

Reactions: TN_Transplant
Just remember how hard we were rooting to win against Vandy simply for the opportunity to go to a bowl. As fans, that should tell us all we need to know about the state of Tennessee football.

The OP said TN football is done, that we'd never be back. The state of Tennessee football this season doesn't mean anything 10 or 20 years from now. Alabama went 3-8 18 years ago and 4-7 21 years ago.

Cool. So does that mean you are done as a fan?
Not done. I like football too much to be done. I'm sure I'll still watch every game and hope Pruitt can bring them back, but I'm not holding my breath and I'll not step foot inside Neyland Stadium until they give me a reason to. In my honest opinion I think that if they end up hiring an OC that's already on the staff that no one else should either.

If you are convinced UT is done I suggest the following 2 steps: 1. Donate all of your UT gear to a local Goodwill or similar charity. 2. Choose a new team from the following list: UK, Vandy, UGA, Lenoir- Ryne
Lenoir Rune is a prtty good football team in its Conference. They played in their National Championship game when my Grandson was playing for them his Junior year.

I don't have any UT gear. I quit buying it while we were still with adidas and the few shirts I have don't fit me anymore. So I'll more than likely do what you said. Or burn it. People that shop at goodwill have it hard enough and allowing them to wear something that will make people ridicule them isn't right

Reactions: VolAllen
I don't have any UT gear. I quit buying it while we were still with adidas and the few shirts I have don't fit me anymore. So I'll more than likely do what you said. Or burn it. People that shop at goodwill have it hard enough and allowing them to wear something that will make people ridicule them isn't right
I rarely post, but when I do, I troll hard.

Reactions: Old-n-4getful-Vol
I could never pull for Georgia. Clemson may be a good option though. I live in Cleveland so it's a relatively close drive and Dabo is a good guy. Plus they've got a lot of Tennessee guys on their roster. GO BIG ORANGE BAYBEH!!!

As a fan base compared to the excitement about 3 or 4 years ago, it's down. It's down from the glory days but whether we are irrelevant from now until the end of time, we should still support the team. Bad and good management alike, come and go. Just enjoy football and the various emotions it gives you.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It hurts me to say this, but it's time we face the facts as a fanbase. This program will never be relevant in the SEC again. At least not any time soon. Bama and Georgia are getting too many elite athletes at too quick of a pace and Florida is about to be dominant again with Florida State and Miami falling apart along with them having the 2nd best coach in the SEC at the helm. Combine that with having to play 1 other team out of the west every year and a decent South Carolina program that seems to be improving, and it doesn't make for a promising outcome. There's no reason to think recruiting will pick up any time soon either. 7-5 doesn't sell any better than 5-7 when you're going up against Florida, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, and LSU for talent. Not to mention very few proven coaches want to coach in Knoxville. There may be years where an 9-3 finish happens, but there's no possibility of us going to Atlanta over the next 5-10 years unless it's for a kickoff game
Throw away all of your Tennessee stuff, go buy a crimson shirt with a big A on it, and you won’t have to be a cry baby ever again. The A doesn’t stand for Alabama either.......it stands for Ahole

Yeah, I guess just accepting mediocrity and continuing to think things will change is self pity huh? We're a Darius Slayton routine catch away from being a 4-8 team this past year. You morons think that because a guy bounced around a few schools with elite talent and has a country accent that he knows what he's doing. Even worse y'all think that because the Tennessee version of Mark Richt hired him that he's the right guy

I’m surprised you could see the keyboard to type that through your tears. I haven’t accepted mediocrity just as I haven’t accepted we will never be good again. Nobody here believes it will be a quick turnaround and a program that has fallen this far shouldn’t be a quick or easy fix. MOST people don’t feel the need to sit there, cry in their beer and seek pity though.

I rarely post, but when I do, I troll hard.
I wish I was trolling, but I'm being completely serious. That post may be a little bit of a joke, but the original one is completely serious. Now some 8-4 or 9-3 seasons may possibly happen within the next few years, but we're not competing for the east with the talent and coaching Florida, Georgia, and Bama have. It's just not going to happen. Pruitt may be a good coach, but I've not seen anything to indicate that he's good enough to beat teams that are more talented than Tennessee with coaching that is better or at the very least equal. We've only seen 12 games and I hope I'm wrong, but in-state recruiting has been an embarrassment and outside of Crouch, Morris, and Bailey recruiting as a whole hasn't been that great. Plus the OC search has been absolutely embarrassing

Jenny Craig might help.

I go back and forth on whether we are dead or just dying. Opportunities arise for us to convince me we’re still alive, like beating Vandy for bowl eligibility or hiring an exceptional OC, but we continue to make strange moves. Then we have a nice incoming class so there’s that at least.

What Rick Barnes has done is amazing. Does he want to coach some football games?

I’m surprised you could see the keyboard to type that through your tears. I haven’t accepted mediocrity just as I haven’t accepted we will never be good again. Nobody here believes it will be a quick turnaround and a program that has fallen this far shouldn’t be a quick or easy fix. MOST people don’t feel the need to sit there, cry in their beer and seek pity though.
A coach should need no longer than 4 years to turn a program around. I'm not saying Pruitt can't do it, but with the way the rest of the SEC is recruiting right now, and the coaches he has to go up against -particularly our 3 biggest rivals- only a fool would say they think competing for a trip to Atlanta was possible within the next 5 years. And that's the goal right? Because if 8-4 was good enough we should've just kept Butch

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I go back and forth on whether we are dead or just dying. Opportunities arise for us to convince me we’re still alive, like beating Vandy for bowl eligibility or hiring an exceptional OC, but we continue to make strange moves. Then we have a nice incoming class so there’s that at least.

What Rick Barnes has done is amazing. Does he want to coach some football games?
I just hope he's our AD when we make our next hire in 3-4 years from now. Because Fulmer has been terrible. He gave Warlick an extension after not even recruiting an AA that will likely be a 1 and done and letting her go to Kentucky. Along with putting a mediocre team out on the floor by Tennessee standards, and according to some of the things I've read on here showed no balls during the attempted hiring of Freeze

A coach should need no longer than 4 years to turn a program around. I'm not saying Pruitt can't do it, but with the way the rest of the SEC is recruiting right now, and the coaches he has to go up against -particularly our 3 biggest rivals- only a fool would say they think competing for a trip to Atlanta was possible within the next 5 years. And that's the goal right? Because if 8-4 was good enough we should've just kept Butch
Nothing cracks me up more than when a keyboard warrior who has zero experience doing a job like this is able to determine how long something he’s never done before should take to be successful.

That statement could have been made in the 1970’s and early 80’s. Every SEC team has gone through cycles very similar, the frustration for me comes from the fact that much of it could have been avoided with some better decision makers. It only takes one good hire to change a team’s trajectory

I could never pull for Georgia. Clemson may be a good option though. I live in Cleveland so it's a relatively close drive and Dabo is a good guy. Plus they've got a lot of Tennessee guys on their roster. GO BIG ORANGE BAYBEH!!!

Bye

VN Store

Back