Tennessee Football is done

Just kidding here...but please turn in your man card as you leave....even if I believed all this stuff I wouldn’t have the coconuts to post it... so... maybe I need to turn in my man card...whichever :eek:

It hurts me to say this, but it's time we face the facts as a fanbase. This program will never be relevant in the SEC again. At least not any time soon. Bama and Georgia are getting too many elite athletes at too quick of a pace and Florida is about to be dominant again with Florida State and Miami falling apart along with them having the 2nd best coach in the SEC at the helm. Combine that with having to play 1 other team out of the west every year and a decent South Carolina program that seems to be improving, and it doesn't make for a promising outcome. There's no reason to think recruiting will pick up any time soon either. 7-5 doesn't sell any better than 5-7 when you're going up against Florida, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, and LSU for talent. Not to mention very few proven coaches want to coach in Knoxville. There may be years where an 9-3 finish happens, but there's no possibility of us going to Atlanta over the next 5-10 years unless it's for a kickoff game

I imagine Georgia fans were saying the same thing a few short years ago, and Florida fans were last year.

It's not over but it will take time. Unfortunately, we don't have the recruiting base of those other schools so we have to take the time to develop the talent we get.
Our recruiting base is getting better. The Nashville metropolitan statistical area was estimated to have 1.75 million people in 2016. That is up from 1.59 million people in 2010. Throw in Murfreesboro and middle Tennessee is booming. We need to do a better job of holding on to the talent that is coming out of our state.

Hey, give OP a break. It's a matter of perspective - the last of our glory days was years before he was born. He'll figure it out someday.

Reactions: TWVol
It hurts me to say this, but it's time we face the facts as a fanbase. This program will never be relevant in the SEC again. At least not any time soon. Bama and Georgia are getting too many elite athletes at too quick of a pace and Florida is about to be dominant again with Florida State and Miami falling apart along with them having the 2nd best coach in the SEC at the helm. Combine that with having to play 1 other team out of the west every year and a decent South Carolina program that seems to be improving, and it doesn't make for a promising outcome. There's no reason to think recruiting will pick up any time soon either. 7-5 doesn't sell any better than 5-7 when you're going up against Florida, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, and LSU for talent. Not to mention very few proven coaches want to coach in Knoxville. There may be years where an 9-3 finish happens, but there's no possibility of us going to Atlanta over the next 5-10 years unless it's for a kickoff game
If we go by what you say. Then there is no use in hiring a OC. Glad your not in charge of recruiting. You would tell them to go elsewhere.

Everyone is the right coach away.
Too many times, a Gator fan ends up posting a level headed and sensible post to counter an over-emotional OP. This is exactly right. Were we scared of Alabama before they hired Saban? Hell, no. We were 10-2 against them from 1995 to 2006. Things can change very quickly when a program with great resources makes the right hire.

Yeaaaaaa ooook

Do you need directions to the Gay St bridge?

OP...congratulations...you are the winner of the "cool story of the year" bro...there were a lot of outstanding entries but you have definitely upgraded the category...thanks OP, I needed that...now, go and sleep it off...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

I understand your pain...Just gotta keep the faith...we until CJP, it has been almost 10yrs since we had an "IRON FIST" leader... Overnight, you CAN bring out the fierce fight in people, but it takes a little time [NOT 10-15yrs] to get the TOP players back...I feel we are heading in the right diretion...TOP guys are interested in us again...gonna take a couple more yrs to really get them onboard, but it's already starting to happen 🙂 VFL

Thank goodness you made another thread about the same old crap that's been said over and over, actually it was said after Dooley, after Butchs first season, and now. 15 and 16 we were in the conversation but no one wants to admit that. At one point we were ranked 9th in the country, now I will say those seasons didn't go as we wanted but if relevance is what your saying we were those years. Coaching was the problem then, we had the players but relied on their God given talent rather than schemes. Do want you want and cry all you want but I'd suggest waiting perhaps past the first season under a new coach that you don't come off looking so unintelligent

Reactions: VolNExile
Yep usc was absolute trash before carrol got there....same with Oklahoma before bob stoops.
And Georgia was terrible before Mark Richt. LSU was terrible before Saban. South Carolina won a grand total of one game from 1998-1999. Things can change, people.

I am friends with a guy who is close to the Alabama program, and has been for years. He does some radio work and drives Coach Saban around when he is recruiting in our neck of the woods. He knows enough to be dangerous. His quote to me on New Year's Eve..."Jeremy Pruitt will be the first Saban assistant to beat him." I hope that rings true, but this guy says Coach Pruitt knows his football AND will bring the talent in to accomplish the task.

VN Store

Back