Pruitt just said offensive coordinators are overrated

another way of saying it...
we can and do have enough talent to beat an Auburn and Kentucky when they play like crap and not enough talent to beat a USCe and Vanderbilt when we get out coached.

See how that works
Or you could say that he outcoached Auburn and Kentucky with less talent and Coached them to their talent level against USCe and Vanderbilt. I guess you could say it any way you want.

Reactions: vol1950
Did Auburn quit before the game, because we beat them from the start.
Kentucky showed up, we shut down Benny Snell and thats really all they have.

The commonality between those two was that the are very one dimensional teams and Pruitt knew our d could stop them. So my guess he was willing to open the offense more because he knew we would do well on defense.
To me, he should have stuck with those type of offensive game plans in all the games and we would have performed much better, or at least looked like we were trying on offense.
We scored once on defense against Auburn, and the rest of the success was mostly 50/50 balls. I don't think we "opened it up" against an opponent all year.

Reactions: vol1950
Same here. Besides, I agree that offensive coordinators are overrated. Important, obviously, but also overrated. And there’s a lot of good ones out there that just aren’t the flavor of the month.
Really? So you don't see any difference in Fulmer's offense compared to with and without Cutty?

It bothers me a bit. If that's true why pay Helton 1.2 mil
Obviously your taking it wrong. He’s not saying an OC isn’t important, he’s just saying Sean Payton wouldn’t be able to move the ball with our current situation and that the focus today is recruits! What’s so hard about this. Listen to the interview before commenting.

It was stupid to say and makes him look foolish/ill prepared to be a head coach
LOL I know! Damn him for thinking the fan base has enough common sense to understand his point! Not sure what he was thinking. He probably should have said it really slow and emphasized the nuance more clearly. Your right he probably isn't ready to be a Head Coach.

Did Auburn quit before the game, because we beat them from the start.
Kentucky showed up, we shut down Benny Snell and thats really all they have.

The commonality between those two was that the are very one dimensional teams and Pruitt knew our d could stop them. So my guess he was willing to open the offense more because he knew we would do well on defense.
To me, he should have stuck with those type of offensive game plans in all the games and we would have performed much better, or at least looked like we were trying on offense.

I totally agree with everything, I have said the exact same thing. I really don't think Helton was running the offense when he was here. I feel he would have tried more passing than we attempted or at least passing more on first down. We can tell if I am right by his offense at Western Ky next year. I'm not against Pruitt at all. I am all in with him and I think he will realize soon that he has to do something different on offense to even be competitive with the better teams. We can't run the offenseive scheme ala. ran before Tua and be very successful here with much less talent. That's why I wanted an oc that is used to scoring a lot of points like Briles or Freeze.

I beg to differ. We are probably in the "lack there of" category. Go back and re-read the quote.

I did, we will have top 20 back to back recruiting classes and will continue to do so. We aren't Kansas or a HS team ffs. To say who our coordinator is doesnt matter is silly. Leach, Briles, Mullen disagree. Mullen took a garbage QB and 5 win team and just put up 35 points per game. Tell Mullen scheming doesnt do anything.

It's a false dichotomy anyway, why not want the best oc possible and the best talent? It's not like you take one or the other.

Obviously your taking it wrong. He’s not saying an OC isn’t important, he’s just saying Sean Payton wouldn’t be able to move the ball with our current situation and that the focus today is recruits! What’s so hard about this. Listen to the interview before commenting.

Well that is just brilliant. He's a great motivator. "One of the greatest Offensive minds couldn't move the ball with these bums but hey I am bringing in 25 kids this year to play along with my current scrubs and once I cycle out all these turds we can talk about an OC" "By the by, please fill up Neyland for the spring game and pack it up when we play at home even though it aint really gonna matter for now."

Cloning Bammer and then expecting to beat them at their own game has NEVER worked out for Saban's pupils. It never will.

You are absolutely right. That's what got Ga. beat in conference championship and also nc. last year. They got a good lead and went conservative and lost. Saban does the same thing when playing a tough team. The difference is he usually has superior talent than any opposing team, including Ga. If Ga. had kept pouring it on when they had the lead they would have won. An example Ole Miss beat Ala. two years in a row. Ole Miss got the lead and did not go conservative, they kept on playing just as they did to get the lead.
s

I did, we will have top 20 back to back recruiting classes and will continue to do so. We aren't Kansas or a HS team ffs. To say who our coordinator is doesnt matter is silly. Leach, Briles, Mullen disagree. Mullen took a garbage QB and 5 win team and just put up 35 points per game. Tell Mullen scheming doesnt do anything.

It's a false dichotomy anyway, why not want the best oc possible and the best talent? It's not like you take one or the other.
You missed the whole point. He was trying to keep the focus on the day not the OC. He said on "some" of these teams the OC is overrated because of talent or lack thereof. He's saying that it doesn't matter how good the OC is if you don't have the players. Hence recruiting being more important right now.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Well that is just brilliant. He's a great motivator. "One of the greatest Offensive minds couldn't move the ball with these bums but hey I am bringing in 25 kids this year to play along with my current scrubs and once I cycle out all these turds we can talk about an OC" "By the by, please fill up Neyland for the spring game and pack it up when we play at home even though it aint really gonna matter for now."
You seriously can't be this dense. Not sure how many more ways that someone can explain it to you. In no way was he saying that the OC is not important. He was simply inferring that on "some" teams the OC is overrated because of talent or a lack thereof. Like Alabama, they have enough talent that a blind monkey could be successful as The OC. Hence the "overrated" inference. Take that blind monkey and put him on a team with less talent and he may suck. Hence why recruiting is more important today.

VN Store

Back