Trump replies to letter from 8 year old

My best friend needed a kidney transplant. I told him where do I go get tested. I stepped up before anyone outside of his mother or father was willing to consider it, basically shaming the rest of his family into action. His mother turned out to be the best match.

Yeah. Greed is the obvious solution here.

The voluntary exchange that is being prevented is the exchange of $. Doctors get paid. Hospitals get paid. The person putting the most skin in the game gets nothing. From an economic standpoint, the system makes no sense. Any economist would predict that this system results in a shortage of kidneys, and thus many unnecessary deaths, and what do you know, it does.
not arguing we have a lack of kidneys. I just have literally never heard this brought up in our government to know if this some active plot to kill off Americans, or another thing they simply haven't addressed.

The voluntary exchange that is being prevented is the exchange of $. Doctors get paid. Hospitals get paid. The person putting the most skin in the game gets nothing. From an economic standpoint, the system makes no sense. Any economist would predict that this system results in a shortage of kidneys, and thus many unnecessary deaths, and what do you know, it does.
This system would only be attractive to the indigent. Would you sell your kidney for $25k? I wouldn’t. If someone I knew needed a kidney and I matched I wouldn’t need the $25k as incentive. So do you favor a system where poor people sell kidneys so people with good insurance can live?

Reactions: Hunerwadel
You never look ahead.

I highly doubt I would donate at market price*, but in most cases, if you have one kidney go bad, they both go bad. So if you lose one, you're going to be in trouble either way.

*when do you say no? $500k? $100k? $50k? I would probably say no at $100k and I imagine market price would be $10-20k.

This system would only be attractive to the indigent. Would you sell your kidney for $25k? I wouldn’t. If someone I knew needed a kidney and I matched I wouldn’t need the $25k as incentive. So do you favor a system where poor people sell kidneys so people with good insurance can live?

We're talking about a system where poor people can get handsomely rewarded for giving away something they don't need, and they can save a life doing it, and you're asking me if I support this system? Yes.

I actually don’t disagree with your first few sentences. Unless it’s a corpse donor the donor might get a reach around that’s it. “Give the gift of life” sounds great but can ring a tad hollow. However playing to this human instinct (greed) seems a tad short sided to me that’s all.

not arguing we have a lack of kidneys. I just have literally never heard this brought up in our government to know if this some active plot to kill off Americans, or another thing they simply haven't addressed.
It’s not an active plot to kill off Americans so much is it’s an active plot to empower a government granted monopoly on organs. Americans dying off in the process is just a tolerable consequence as far as the gov. sees it.

I actually don’t disagree with your first few sentences. Unless it’s a corpse donor the donor might get a reach around that’s it. “Give the gift of life” sounds great but can ring a tad hollow. However playing to this human instinct (greed) seems a tad short sided to me that’s all.

This is where I differ from people like you and Luther. I don't care what the motives are. I don't care about the morality of the methods. It's all about results. If lives are saved because people are greedy, then good.

It’s not an active plot to kill off Americans so much is it’s an active plot to empower a government granted monopoly on organs. Americans dying off in the process is just a tolerable consequence as far as the gov. sees it.

There's no political favor quite like bumping somebody up an organ donation wait list.

FTR, I don't think the government is intentionally doing something nefarious, they're just not economists and they haven't thought the problem through. It doesn't help that people are resistant to the idea of $ for organs the first time they hear about it.

This is where I differ from people like you and Luther. I don't care what the motives are. I don't care about the morality of the methods. It's all about results. If lives are saved because people are greedy, then good.
Way to leap blindly again junior...

I’m worried more about exploitation that’s it.

Edit: and don’t ever play that weak ass “it’s the Christian thing to do” **** again on the illegal immigration topic too then.

We're talking about a system where poor people can get handsomely rewarded for giving away something they don't need, and they can save a life doing it, and you're asking me if I support this system? Yes.
They can save a life right now. If that’s the moral driver why aren’t they doing it?

There's no political favor quite like bumping somebody up an organ donation wait list.

FTR, I don't think the government is intentionally doing something nefarious, they're just not economists and they haven't thought the problem through. It doesn't help that people are resistant to the idea of $ for organs the first time they hear about it.

That’s rich.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
They can save a life right now. If that’s the moral driver why aren’t they doing it?

This is not a relevant question to anything I'm arguing. My whole point is that our system relies solely on charitable donors, and that's why there is a shortage. $ will solve that problem, because we need something more than just "moral drivers" to coax potential donors.

This is not a relevant question to anything I'm arguing. My whole point is that our system relies solely on charitable donors, and that's why there is a shortage. $ will solve that problem, because we need something more than just "moral drivers" to coax potential donors.
Who pays for it?

Who pays for it? You can’t even answer where your magical money will come from? Lame.

I already answered your question. I'm not talking about reinventing the entire health care system. Who pays doesn't change so stop trying to take us down some irrelevant tangent. You didn't ever answer my question. Kick rocks.

VN Store

Back