New Ranking after toppling #1

Both of those guys were fawning all over each other about Gonzaga. When Clarke "blocked" the shot by Pons, they literally had the Big O. By the way, Pons was hammered on that play. I watched the replay probably 30 times from 4 different angles, and at the least, the defender did not go up vertically....went into Pons AFTER Pons had already left the floor. I won't even go into the fact the Gonzaga guy crashed his arm directly onto Pons' head. I mean, come on, great block?

All true....but by the end, they were both fawning over Schofield.

Kansas
Virginia
Michigan
Vols
Zags
Duke
Nevada

.... if things were as they should be.
Virginia is playing a steady stream of high school teams. We know that as soon as they run into a team good enough to be a #16 seed, that they are toast.

Kansas (undefeated, top 5 win)
Duke (because they are really good)
Michigan (some really good wins)
Gonzaga (brutal schedule, top 5 loss)
Tennessee

Both of those guys were fawning all over each other about Gonzaga. When Clarke "blocked" the shot by Pons, they literally had the Big O. By the way, Pons was hammered on that play. I watched the replay probably 30 times from 4 different angles, and at the least, the defender did not go up vertically....went into Pons AFTER Pons had already left the floor. I won't even go into the fact the Gonzaga guy crashed his arm directly onto Pons' head. I mean, come on, great block?
You can debate whether there was some contact after the block and whether it mattered/should have been called. You can not argue that it wasn’t an extremely impressive block. He went up against a top 15 athlete in college basketball and ate his lunch cleanly at the ball. The follow-thru and body contact...I had no problem letting that go. It didn’t affect the play. Pons didn’t get his shot blocked as a result of either of those things. Just a really good play. Refs let both teams be pretty physical, which makes Grant’s 4th foul called on him all the more puzzling.

Reactions: BartW and Kristy*
You can debate whether there was some contact after the block and whether it mattered/should have been called. You can not argue that it wasn’t an extremely impressive block. He went up against a top 15 athlete in college basketball and ate his lunch cleanly at the ball. The follow-thru and body contact...I had no problem letting that go. It didn’t affect the play. Pons didn’t get his shot blocked as a result of either of those things. Just a really good play. Refs let both teams be pretty physical, which makes Grant’s 4th foul called on him all the more puzzling.
It was an extremely impressive instance of the officials alllowing a body blow like that to result in a block. Oh yeah, he "blocked" the ball from going in the hole. He was brave and he was determined. I venture to any that most of the time, a foul is called....my opinion. Grant's 4th foul was mind-boggling. It could have ended up being a game changer, but luckily Admiral made sure it wasn't. I appreciate your take on my opinion.

Reactions: JCP201
Yes, about knocked him out with that "great play". I agree about the announcers. There was a point where I was getting ready to turn the sound down, but VOLS started to come back and it shut them up.

Yes, about knocked him out with that "great play". I agree about the announcers. There was a point where I was getting ready to turn the sound down, but VOLS started to come back and it shut them up.
Exactly. I haven't seen that much biased reporting in a long time. I tend to believe in most instances, they are pretty good about being equitable because as professionals they are supposed to be. In this case, no, at least until they knew we could play with Gonzaga.

I thought the announcers were in the tank for Gonzaga. True, they gave UT a lot of props and mentioned this was a final 4 type game several times, but still I felt it was a Gonzaga showcase game.
Yeah right after Pons got denied at the rim they literally cheered when Grant got called on the next possession for a foul

Refs let both teams be pretty physical, which makes Grant’s 4th foul called on him all the more puzzling.

VERY physical game and it was encouraging that the refs let them play.

Except - the cbb game suffers terribly from "moving-pick-itis". Refs only care if the screener is late...even if he barely brushes the defender(or even whiffs entirely) a foul is called. Grant's 3rd foul was a phantom illegal screen call..."point of emphasis" my ass.

My guess:

Kansas
Duke
Zags
Michigan
Vols
Nevada
We should pass the Zags. Both 1 loss teams and both beat the number 1 team in country. We have the head to head. We lost to the number 1 team in the country and zags lost to the number 7.

It was an extremely impressive instance of the officials alllowing a body blow like that to result in a block. Oh yeah, he "blocked" the ball from going in the hole. He was brave and he was determined. I venture to any that most of the time, a foul is called....my opinion. Grant's 4th foul was mind-boggling. It could have ended up being a game changer, but luckily Admiral made sure it wasn't. I appreciate your take on my opinion.
I’m sorry, but Clarke made contact with the ball at the exact same time of any body contact. Your account of which is grossly overstated. You make it sound like he hit Pons’ body with the force of an unguided middle. That kind of contact just isn’t going to get called 9 times out of 10 when a player cleanly blocks the shot at the ball. I’m a fan of rewarding athletic plays that any incidental contact doesn’t affect whether he could have made the shot. Any body contact made there had no effect on Pons making that dunk.

Agree to disagree.

I think we're paranoid as a fanbase after reading about announcer conspiracies lol. It's still December and we have a long way to go.

Still good to see the Vols ranked high. I think #4 with a few first place votes.

I wa
To be honest, I think they’ll keep many teams ahead of us... maybe even Gonzaga. Don’t be surprised if we are #5 or 6. Pundits high on EVERY team in front of us. Michigan Kansas Nevada and Virginia have had close calls, but not lost. Duke and Gonzaga’s one loss was to “top 5 teams”. I realize Vols only loss was in OT to Kansas but I just don’t see them having them above MOST those teams for like #3.

As someone said on here, doesn’t really matter. Just play for a 2 seed. Bound to slip up a few times in SEC, so this win is big come selection Sunday.
tched Nevada get taken to the wire with Grand Canyon... there ranking is a complete embarrassment.

I would agree that it would have been impressive IF he did not murder him after he blocked the shot. There is no way that he could have 'cleanly" blocked the shot without jumping into him. Try this. If this was a three point attempt and the player blocked the shot but landed on him, you don't think a foul would have been called?

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but Clarke made contact with the ball at the exact same time of any body contact. Your account of which is grossly overstated. You make it sound like he hit Pons’ body with the force of an unguided middle. That kind of contact just isn’t going to get called 9 times out of 10 when a player cleanly blocks the shot at the ball. I’m a fan of rewarding athletic plays that any incidental contact doesn’t affect whether he could have made the shot. Any body contact made there had no effect on Pons making that dunk.

Agree to disagree.
To me, that's akin to saying because a pitcher is Cy Young caliber, that you call pitches just off the black a strike, when in fact, it's a ball. So, you don't agree that leaving your feet and going 35 or so degrees vertically with enough force to knock someone to the floor is not a foul? I'm not talking about the ultimate "block." I think what you're saying is that because a great athletic play was made (and it was) that a foul should not be called?

The announcers were definitely in the tank for Gon.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I disagree. The trajectory that he took to make the block was what caused the heavy body and head contact. By your definition, as long as you block the shot clean, you could slam the guy to the floor? He takess a trajectory to keep the play clean, he doesn't block the shot,

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
I wa

tched Nevada get taken to the wire with Grand Canyon... there ranking is a complete embarrassment.
Might also expose the early flaws in the NET ranking system. They haven't really played anyone yet but have won games by large margins and remain at about 6 or 7 NET. Be interesting when the NET is updated today to see where the 9-1 Zags and Tn end up.

I disagree. The trajectory that he took to make the block was what caused the heavy body and head contact. By your definition, as long as you block the shot clean, you could slam the guy to the floor? He tajes a trajectory to keep the play clean, he doesn't block the shot,
Haha...That’s a fairly sensational interpretation of what I said.

My point is that it didn’t appear to me to be enough body contact to warrant a call. Had he hit him with the body first and that enabled him to make the block, my opinion would be different. In this case, the actual block came, at worst, simultaneously, but probably a split second before the contact with the body.

And I’m not calling it a clear no foul situation. Contact was made, clearly. I just disagree that it affected Pons’ ability to finish that dunk, and that more times than not, that won’t be called. It had nothing to do with the refs favoring Gonzaga in that moment.

Reactions: Kristy*
I would agree that it would have been impressive IF he did not murder him after he blocked the shot. There is no way that he could have 'cleanly" blocked the shot without jumping into him. Try this. If this was a three point attempt and the player blocked the shot but landed on him, you don't think a foul would have been called?
You’re example is comparing a physical encounter at the rim with a finesse play on the perimeter. They are going to be judged differently. Obviously if a shooter is fouled to the point that he is knocked down at any point of his shot (the elevation, the shot, the follow-thru, and the ability to land on his feet), then a foul is almost always going to be called.

Most telling about the play in question to me is, Pons doesn’t even go to the ground and doesn’t protest the call in any way. If the contact we’re as egregious as some want to infer, it seems like Barnes, Schwartz, Lanier, Pons, Grant Williams, someone would have protested to some degree. The entire bench, players and coaches alike, just stood there stunned. No one lost their mind or even appeared upset or miffed at the lack of a call.

To me, that's akin to saying because a pitcher is Cy Young caliber, that you call pitches just off the black a strike, when in fact, it's a ball. So, you don't agree that leaving your feet and going 35 or so degrees vertically with enough force to knock someone to the floor is not a foul? I'm not talking about the ultimate "block." I think what you're saying is that because a great athletic play was made (and it was) that a foul should not be called?
I’m saying any contact occurred simultaneously, at best, with a clean block at the ball. Pons doesn’t even go to the ground. If he were hit as hard as you implied with the body, he sure did a bad job of selling it.

And see my above post. Literally, no one protests the call from Tennessee’s bench. Not Barnes, an assistant, a player, not even Pons himself.

VN Store

Back