ESPN reporting Locksley to Maryland.

You wonder why everything has to be so difficult. Make your best offer to Freeze give him a couple days to decide yes or no and either hire or move on. I wouldn't leave him hanging and I wouldn't let him leave me hanging you either want the job or you don't. You either want to offer him the job or you don't.

I wonder who he confirmed that with??? Sexton?

I’m sure Sexton confirmed that same statement with FSU and Auburn. Auburn gives him the best chance at what he wants, to be HC again. Gus is done in a year.
He can get that without being on their staff when Gus gets fired.

price was just on the swain show, and he confirms that Freeze definitely prefers the TN job over FSU or Auburn. but he may be waiting to see if the Bama job opens should Locksley go to MD. and if that happens, then it's a choice for Freeze, he likely chooses Bama.

so we're kinda back to....."what do we want to do here? and if it's Freeze we want, the time is now"

I agree that if you know that Freeze is your guy then wrap it up !

I'm beginning to think CJP and Fulmer are just sitting around sucking on one thumb with the other one stuck up their butts.

Reactions: BIGAL27
At this point we've almost certainly offered freeze. The ball is likely in his court. This is the type place where Pruitt needs to be a CEO of the team. I made a post earlier about how he talks (we tried but they done gooder than us...) and a lot of y'all said it doesn't matter. Well...it does matter. A head coach wears a lot of hats. One of them is getting the best assistants to come here and buy in. Saban doesn't speak that way. He's an excellent communicator. We were way out ahead of these other jobs. I'd like to believe that our coach could've went to freeze and said this is the place for you to rebuild your legacy, but we're not sitting around and waiting for you to assess every other job. You have 24 hours to let us know otherwise we're moving on.
Does Pruitt have timhe ability to close a deal like that? That's why it matter that your coaches is a well spoken/intelligent guy right here.
So the deal isn't done because of Pruitt's bad grammar? Now I've heard everything.

I know that Locksley has had two stints at Maryland before and has good recruiting ties there, but his name has come up in several recruiting violations accusations over the years and he was 2-26 as a Head Coach ! I'd be a tad surprised if the Terrapins go that route.
yeah, gotta see how some other dominos fall and take your chances.......or just go do what you want to do now.

I wonder who he confirmed that with??? Sexton?

I’m sure Sexton confirmed that same statement with FSU and Auburn. Auburn gives him the best chance at what he wants, to be HC again. Gus is done in a year.
no idea, and i agree. i'm sure both sides of all fences are being played the same way..........lol.

Why doesn't TN just offer Freeze he can't refuse, I mean if we are serious about winning and all.

There isn't an offer that UT could make him that Auburn or Alabama couldn't match. He and his agent know that. Feels like he's sitting until he has all his options on the table.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I agree. If you look, there are multiple schools already filling positions with current coordinators. I hope Tn does not wait to long to pull the trigger, if so, we will once again be settling for an up and comer. Just once I would like to see our AD and HC go out and get a proven winner, we have the financial resources to get a deal done. Either UT wants to compete with the big boys or we need to face the facts that we are content with being below mediocre. I miss the glory days of winning. I don’t care if is it Freeze or whom ever, just get a top notch OC and start winning.

Freeze's is a "head coach" he has proved he can win in the all powerful SEC. So why would he take a asst. position in the SEC? If I were him I would go the Merryland. The money may not be quite as good (but likely would be) but it would not be a step back from the position of head coach. Besides Ole Miss - Maryland???? not likely a step back as program.

At this point we've almost certainly offered freeze. The ball is likely in his court. This is the type place where Pruitt needs to be a CEO of the team. I made a post earlier about how he talks (we tried but they done gooder than us...) and a lot of y'all said it doesn't matter. Well...it does matter. A head coach wears a lot of hats. One of them is getting the best assistants to come here and buy in. Saban doesn't speak that way. He's an excellent communicator. We were way out ahead of these other jobs. I'd like to believe that our coach could've went to freeze and said this is the place for you to rebuild your legacy, but we're not sitting around and waiting for you to assess every other job. You have 24 hours to let us know otherwise we're moving on.
Does Pruitt have timhe ability to close a deal like that? That's why it matter that your coaches is a well spoken/intelligent guy right here.

You can play the tough guy negotiator as long as you are willing to stand pat when the other guy calls your bluff. It helps when you are playing from a position of power. Saban can play that game much easier than Pruitt. If you do move on in 24 hours, you better be very, very confident that the next guy in line is going to be a heck of a consolation prize.

If Pruitt believes that Freeze is the best option, and Freeze wants to see how things shake out at Alabama before making a call, then you wait him out.

Folks that worry about cost will never move Tennessee past bottom feeder category. As long as Neyland stays 75 percent+ full they will stay cheap.F4D147CB-6AE5-4E01-BB8A-4E5B36E1A6DF.gif

If I was Freeze, I would head to Auburn. Be hired as OC and retained next season as Head Coach. Freeze has shown he can beat saban and that is all Auburn cares about.......and money will not be an issue. Also, Auburn has shown baggage is not an issue (Bruce Pearl). Seems like the best scenario for Freeze.
He can do the at Bama. Just not as soon. Let's just get Briles and call it a day. Face it folks, we can't get the big names

yeah, offer he can't refuse. let's go 10 year, $100 million. Seems to be working out for the Raiders.

Reactions: dd4vols
I live in Alabama and yesterday, while all the Bama fans rambled on about how awesome it was to win the SEC...AGAIN, my only source of pride in the discussion was informing them we were about to become a real SEC contender again by hiring Hugh Freeze as our OC. Now, they probably get him. 😔 I give up.

If I was Freeze, I would head to Auburn. Be hired as OC and retained next season as Head Coach. Freeze has shown he can beat saban and that is all Auburn cares about.......and money will not be an issue. Also, Auburn has shown baggage is not an issue (Bruce Pearl). Seems like the best scenario for Freeze.

Malzahn is an offense minded coach. Word is that he over controlled Lindsey. Why would Freeze walk into a situation like that?

You can play the tough guy negotiator as long as you are willing to stand pat when the other guy calls your bluff. It helps when you are playing from a position of power. Saban can play that game much easier than Pruitt. If you do move on in 24 hours, you better be very, very confident that the next guy in line is going to be a heck of a consolation prize.

If Pruitt believes that Freeze is the best option, and Freeze wants to see how things shake out at Alabama before making a call, then you wait him out.

Will have to agree to disagree here. To allow him an unlimited amount of time to weigh out other options would be just plain stupid. For starters… It makes us look weak. And secondly, who knows what other oc's might be available if after all that time he decides not to come here. It's like asking a girl to the prom and she says give me a couple of weeks to see what other guys might come along. Who would be OK with that? There are other intriguing candidates available right now but we cannot be held hostage. $hit or get off the pot would be my message to him

Will have to agree to disagree here. To allow him an unlimited amount of time to weigh out other options would be just plain stupid. For starters… It makes us look weak. And secondly, who knows what other oc's might be available if after all that time he decides not to come here. It's like asking a girl to the prom and she says give me a couple of weeks to see what other guys might come along. Who would be OK with that? There are other intriguing candidates available right now but we cannot be held hostage. $hit or get off the pot would be my message to him

I don't disagree with the validity of your position at all. But, it comes with risks. Again, if CJP believes that HF is a significantly better option than every other candidate, it makes sense to wait, IMO. At the end of the day, you do what you need to do to improve the team as much as possible.

Of course, you wait within reason. You and I are more likely debating over what is reasonable.

Oh my god

Maryland will make their decision today and is announcing their new coach tomorrow. The overwhelming majority feel it will be Locksley, thus creating a job opportunity at Alabama. Tomorrow announcement even adds that it will be Locksley, he is unavailable today as he is at the Broyles Award Show. What does Alabama do? Do they promote Dan Enos or do they take another swing at Hugh Freeze? FSU thinks Alabama will look at Freeze. FSU has said they will have a coach in a couple days so they are moving very fast. Auburn has now entered the Freeze sweepstakes as well. And, of course, Liberty.

Tennessee has put more of the legwork in on Freeze, but it seems like they need to move quickly if they want him on board. Does TN need to wrap this one up today before (at the least) Alabama drives up the cost?

I do think if Alabama hires Freeze, Enos will go elsewhere. I’ve stated my opinion of him, think very highly of him. It might be in Tennessee’s best interest however to make a decision between the two before FSU or Auburn offer Freeze a deal he can’t refuse and then Alabama promotes Enos and Tennessee misses on both,

My thoughts exactly.....short term love freeze but think enos is better long term solution....i have also heard enos may be fine in 3 to 4 years. What do you think? Also what do you think freeze would do to our recruiting? One could make an argument that freeze anticipated short stop in Knoxville could hurt our recruiting ....your thoughts? I think and hope we end up with enos....also side note that was Kirby. First choice!!!!!

Reactions: tnktm
I live in Alabama and yesterday, while all the Bama fans rambled on about how awesome it was to win the SEC...AGAIN, my only source of pride in the discussion was informing them we were about to become a real SEC contender again by hiring Hugh Freeze as our OC. Now, they probably get him. 😔 I give up.
If that happens it might be time to move bro.

Reactions: FLVOL69
Charlie was not the problem. It was his wife. She was upset about freeze's past. She has since had a nice warm glass of shut the he!! up. It wasn't Charlie this time. Nobody knows what is going on today at all on any front of the coaching search if we are already laying blame.

Charlie was not the problem. It was his wife. She was upset about freeze's past. She has since had a nice warm glass of shut the he!! up. It wasn't Charlie this time. Nobody knows what is going on today at all on any front of the coaching search if we are already laying blame.

I'll be honest, if I was running some big time program like this and my wife said she didn't like someone's past and I shouldn't hire him. I'd kindly tell her not to go to any games any more lol

Reactions: Donvolson
Tennessee has had a lot of time between Helton leaving until today to hire a proven OC and they have screwed around just like they always do. Tn out shopping at the dollar tree and this is where the hire will come from. At the end of the day Kansas will have a better OC than Tn. Now you got FSU,AU and possibly Bama in the mix for Freeze and all 3 of those schools will throw money around to get what they want to win. Tn looking for that clearance sale

VN Store

Back