Favorite Vol Player of All Time

Eddie Brown, Richmond Flowers, Bill Bates, ... and Alan Cockrell.

I just looked up Alan Cockrell's details on Wikipedia, and he did not have wow stats ... but I remember he was a highly-recruited QB who chose to come here when we were down. I think he was the first frosh to ever start at QB for us. And I remember him as being a tough and gutsy kid. Thank you, Alan, for being part of it.

I love Alan Cockrell, I met him in Pueblo, Colorado at the Zoo prior to the 1998 season when he was with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox AAA baseball team. We talked about the Peyton - less Vols and both held optimism.

Maybe I should meet him again, it worked out well last time.

Condredge Holloway put me on his knee and signed my autograph book when I was a kid. Made me a Vol fan forever. While my older brother and everyone else was getting loads of autographs, I was just a small kid walking around the field at Neyland afraid to ask these 'giants' to sign my book. Apparently, Mr Holloway saw me and realized I was scared. I remember he was carrying a big white bag full of stuff. He sat it down and knelt down on one knee to talk to me. He asked me if I wanted an autograph and set me on his knee. He signed the book and said some things to me. I didn't even know who he was at the time. My dad saw that his name was my only autograph and told me who he was.

Eddie Brown, Richmond Flowers, Bill Bates, ... and Alan Cockrell.

I just looked up Alan Cockrell's details on Wikipedia, and he did not have wow stats ... but I remember he was a highly-recruited QB who chose to come here when we were down. I think he was the first frosh to ever start at QB for us. And I remember him as being a tough and gutsy kid. Thank you, Alan, for being part of it.
I wanted to be number 6 in Jr high because of Cockrell. He came in an took the position from Steve Alatorre and Jeff Olszewski. His numbers would have been better if he hadn’t had a major knee injury his freshman year.

I believe the next "hero" to lead UT to a great season/SEC championship will be in the ring of honor. My 11 year old son still does not know what it truly means to be considered relevant on a national level.

VN Store

Back