'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

To use a former Vol comparison, does anyone else see some Casey Clausen in Bailey? Top-flight touch and accuracy. Great deep ball. Not great mobility, but enough mobility buy time in the pocket. Only negative I see is that he doesn't have great arm strength, which was a similar knock on Clausen.

Like Clausen, who never seemed to get rattled, that is something that coaches and evaluators have to say about HB.

We got our version of Trevor Lawrence with this commitment. Physically and where we are really lacking, mentally. Supposedly does not get rattled at all and his already a film junkie.

I saw that, and couldn't help thinking of how much work Peyton put into studying the game.

My source says he did OK.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I saw that, and couldn't help thinking of how much work Peyton put into studying the game.

My source says he did OK.

Yeah I agree, I like the comparison but I chose TL due to what he has done for Clemson this year as a true freshman. Physically ready but his mental game has been the most impressive thing to watch. Never seems rattled!

Yeah I agree, I like the comparison but I chose TL due to what he has done for Clemson this year as a true freshman. Physically ready but his mental game has been the most impressive thing to watch. Never seems rattled!

We really need to give this kid the protection he deserves. And some smart route runners.

To use a former Vol comparison, does anyone else see some Casey Clausen in Bailey? Top-flight touch and accuracy. Great deep ball. Not great mobility, but enough mobility buy time in the pocket. Only negative I see is that he doesn't have great arm strength, which was a similar knock on Clausen.

Like Clausen, who never seemed to get rattled, that is something that coaches and evaluators have to say about HB.

Maybe.

Although from the video footage, looks like he’s got plenty of arm strength to make the deep throws.

The thing that impressed me the most about Bailey was his accuracy and able to read defenses.

This isn’t a knock on JG because I still think he’s a good QB but from a passing standpoint, I think Bailey shows better promise.

But the offensive line is going to have to improve tremendously where Maurer, JG, Bailey, Shrout, whoever the starting QB is, isn’t constantly getting the hell knocked out of them behind the line of scrimmage.

QB situation is going to be a great problem to have.

April '18 evaluation...

Footwork/Rhythm is remarkably reigned in and great for a sophomore. (And beyond) He has good command of his front foot and does not typically over stride which is typically the case for taller, younger gunslingers. Bailey also has good reset and gather game and will "kick dirt" to accomplish this. He remains balanced and tall after the throw. Bailey does seem to dip at times from the gun anticipating a low snap unnecessarily but that is a nit-pick. Bailey has good rhythm for the game and he throws a nice on time ball over and over again.

Accuracy is very good. Bailey places the ball in ideal catch radius and often times where only his receiver can catch them. Receivers have tons of run after the catch potential. Deep ball placement isn't typically leaving his receivers short. Arm Strength is damn good. Bailey has a lot of rotational force on the ball that often times is equivocated to someone having large hands...Two of the more impressive arm strength throws is an off-balance rolling left (harder for right handed throwers) 50 yard strike and a vertical he threads in between the cover two corner and safety. There is not a throw on the field that Bailey can not make.

Arm Mechanics I love. Watched personal workout film working with his quarterback coach and he is an "up and out" thrower. No wasted movement. No hitch. The ball is gathered and is brought to an ideal arm slot and delivered. The alternative "down up" thrower is someone who relies on a first downward accentuated movement before getting the ball to the ideal arm slot. (Rosier)
Quarterback Offer Break Down: 2020 Harrison Bailey

Last edited:
Maybe.

Although from the video footage, looks like he’s got plenty of arm strength to make the deep throws.

The thing that impressed me the most about Bailey was his accuracy and able to read defenses.

This isn’t a knock on JG because I still think he’s a good QB but from a passing standpoint, I think Bailey shows better promise.

But the offensive line is going to have to improve tremendously where Maurer, JG, Bailey, Shrout, whoever the starting QB is, isn’t constantly getting the hell knocked out of them behind the line of scrimmage.

Watching those deep throws, he doesn’t just float them for jump balls either. Those things are drilled right in front of the receivers hands on the run. Beautiful throws.

Maybe.

He has the strength to make the deep throws, but I don't see a lot of zip on his passes. Especially the intermediate ones of 15-25 yards. He isn't throwing those on a rope, so to speak. Using Trevor Lawrence as an example isn't fair to Bailey because Lawrence has generational type arm strength, but watch a TLaw 20 yd pass for comparison, and see the difference.

I'm not saying he has a rag arm by any means. I just notice that he puts some air under most all his throws beyond 15 yards. That isn't a death knell for QBs. Peyton Manning made a HOF career out of average arm strength and a million dollar head on his shoulders. Clausen had a great college career himself with average arm strength.

Yep looks a lot like CC to me.

I'm not going to argue except just to say that I never saw any of the attributes in Casey Clausen that you apparently did.

I'm not going to argue except just to say that I never saw any of the attributes in Casey Clausen that you apparently did.
Well, to review, I said Clausen...
-Didn't get rattled
-Had average arm strength
-Threw a nice deep ball
-Threw with nice touch
-Wasn't a threat to run, but was mobile enough to buy an extra second in the pocket

I guess you thought CC was a frantic basketcase in pressure situations? Do you think Clausen had a cannon? A noodle arm? You don't believe he threw with touch or a threw a nice deep ball?

I guess I'm not sure where we disagree since you basically just said, "I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to say you're wrong."

Well, to review, I said Clausen...
-Didn't get rattled
-Had average arm strength
-Threw a nice deep ball
-Threw with nice touch
-Wasn't a threat to run, but was mobile enough to buy an extra second in the pocket

I guess you thought CC was a frantic basketcase in pressure situations? Do you think Clausen had a cannon? A noodle arm? You don't believe he threw with touch or a threw a nice deep ball?

I guess I'm not sure where we disagree since you basically just said, "I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to say you're wrong."
You took it the way meant it.

VN Store

Back