Report: Top two candidates for OC are Lindsay and Eli Drinkwitz (Football Scoop)

I am good with either. I don't believe Auburn would hire Freeze as his offense is different from how Malzahn wants to run it. My guess is Freeze at Auburn would be handcuffed like Lindsey is. The NC State coach would be a good hire as well. Better than internal hires at least and some of the other names.

Freeze to me would be the greatest impact though if he can be left to run it the way he wants.
Oh, really? Didn't this sort of thinking get him in trouble?

whomever it is has to be strong enough to stand up to Coach Pruitt, or is Coach Pruitt not looking for someone who will stand up to him...um...

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Nothing wrong with NC states Offense from what I have seen. When I watch NC State the one thing that stands out to me is the size of their players, whomever their SC is he is doing a fine job getting those young men into shape.

It's looking more and more like Chip's going to be the hire.

Applause-Clapping-Golf-Clap-Good-job-Meh-Old-Whatever-Clap-GIF.gif

Last edited:
Please let this be "Fake News!" Why hire an offensive coord. our Defense shut down, that in itself should speak volumes.

Please let this be "Fake News!" Why hire an offensive coord. our Defense shut down, that in itself should speak volumes.
Auburn had to replace 4 offensive linemen this year. Also, from Auburn's site:

"In 2017, Auburn became just the eighth team in SEC history to rush and pass for 3,000 yards in a season, ranked 26th nationally in total offense and set an Auburn record scoring 327 points in SEC play, winning the SEC West. All-SEC quarterback Jarrett Stidham, the second Auburn QB ever to throw for 3,000 yards in a season, led the SEC and ranked ninth nationally in completion percentage. Running back Kerryon Johnson was SEC offensive player of the year, and Ryan Davis set an Auburn receiving record with 84 catches.

Lindsey returned to Auburn from Arizona State, where he served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2016. The Sun Devils started 5-1 before losing three quarterbacks to injury; RB Kalen Ballage tied an NCAA record scoring eight touchdowns in a 68-55 win over Texas Tech.

As offensive coordinator at Southern Miss from 2014-15, he developed the Conference USA 2015 Offensive Player of the Year in quarterback Nick Mullens, who ranked second in the league in passing yards (4,145) and TD passes (36), and ranked in the top eight in the nation in both marks in 2015.

The Southern Miss offense broke five single-season school records in 2015: completions (312), passing yards (4,263), total offense yards (6,758), touchdowns (67) and points (528), as the Golden Eagles recorded nine wins, a Conference USA West title, and a berth in the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl against Washington.

Lindsey’s 2015 Golden Eagle offense ranked fifth in the nation in total touchdowns, seventh in total points, eighth in total passing yards and completions, and 12th in points per game and passing yards per game. The 2015 Golden Eagles tallied more than 4,200 passing yards and just under 2,500 rushing yards. The national leader with 102 explosive plays, they were just the second school in FBS history with a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and two 1,000-yard rushers."

People are overblowing the OC hire in general, in my opinion. Even if they hired Freeze, the guy isnt a miracle worker. Until UT finds a solid SEC starting-calibre QB, the offense is goong to struggle. A good QB makes any OC look good.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Auburn had to replace 4 offensive linemen this year. Also, from Auburn's site:

"In 2017, Auburn became just the eighth team in SEC history to rush and pass for 3,000 yards in a season, ranked 26th nationally in total offense and set an Auburn record scoring 327 points in SEC play, winning the SEC West. All-SEC quarterback Jarrett Stidham, the second Auburn QB ever to throw for 3,000 yards in a season, led the SEC and ranked ninth nationally in completion percentage. Running back Kerryon Johnson was SEC offensive player of the year, and Ryan Davis set an Auburn receiving record with 84 catches.

Lindsey returned to Auburn from Arizona State, where he served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2016. The Sun Devils started 5-1 before losing three quarterbacks to injury; RB Kalen Ballage tied an NCAA record scoring eight touchdowns in a 68-55 win over Texas Tech.

As offensive coordinator at Southern Miss from 2014-15, he developed the Conference USA 2015 Offensive Player of the Year in quarterback Nick Mullens, who ranked second in the league in passing yards (4,145) and TD passes (36), and ranked in the top eight in the nation in both marks in 2015.

The Southern Miss offense broke five single-season school records in 2015: completions (312), passing yards (4,263), total offense yards (6,758), touchdowns (67) and points (528), as the Golden Eagles recorded nine wins, a Conference USA West title, and a berth in the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl against Washington.

Lindsey’s 2015 Golden Eagle offense ranked fifth in the nation in total touchdowns, seventh in total points, eighth in total passing yards and completions, and 12th in points per game and passing yards per game. The 2015 Golden Eagles tallied more than 4,200 passing yards and just under 2,500 rushing yards. The national leader with 102 explosive plays, they were just the second school in FBS history with a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and two 1,000-yard rushers."

He was not very good at ASU also used excuses to make it seem like it was not his fault. Also his Oline could not block and execution was poor. Gus gave him full control this year and he blew it pure and simple. He is a nice guy and many people like him and are coming to his aid. ASU went 5-7 in his time there. They have made a bowl almost all other years when he was not there.

He was not very good at ASU also used excuses to make it seem like it was not his fault. Also his Oline could not block and execution was poor. Gus gave him full control this year and he blew it pure and simple. He is a nice guy and many people like him and are coming to his aid. ASU went 5-7 in his time there. They have made a bowl almost all other years when he was not there.
ASU began that season 5-1 before losing 3 quarterbacks to injury. Is that the "excuses" you're referring to?

Also, what do you mean "his Oline"? Are you talking about the offensive line in 2017 or the one in 2018 that had 4 new starters? You seem to think he was heavily involved in coaching that unit and maybe he was but that would be news to me.

ASU began that season 5-1 before losing 3 quarterbacks to injury. Is that the "excuses" you're referring to?

Also, what do you mean "his Oline"? Are you talking about the offensive line in 2017 or the one in 2018 that had 4 new starters? You seem to think he was heavily involved in coaching that unit and maybe he was but that would be news to me.
An OC runs offensive practice even if he is not the Oline coach he is responsible for the plan. This part of the job is why people don't get why nerds like Cut or Eli D are so good. They are detailed oriented. They make sure practice is productive and every unit is ready to go. They are not sexy interviews or goon wranglers but they are fantastics OCs. Chip is 100% responsible for not being able to get his offense to execute just like Tyson was.

Here's the 2016 season we're talking about... Lindsey's offense averaged 40 ppg before the quarterback got hurt and 27 ppg after. Seems to me like he did a pretty good job.

Also looks like Auburn overplayed the quarterback injuries a bit because their starter returned for the final 3 games of the season and averaged over 300 ypg.

1543507288740.png

So we shouldn’t want Pruitt/Saban or Kirby because Lindsey beat them all last year?? 🙄🙄This kind of logic effing kills me.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Here is the overall consensus from the "experts" on the OC hire:
Hugh Freeze---NOPE. Made a mistake or two in his past.
Chip Lindsey---NOPE. Lost a game one time.
Eli the Wolfpack guy--NOPE. Majority of fans haven't heard of him.
Will Friend---NOPE. Failed to make chicken salad out of chickens---t this year.
Dan Enos---NOPE. Works at Alabama
Jim Bob Cooter---NOPE. Named after a turtle.

Got to be Jon Gruden or I'm cancelling my season tickets.

VN Store

Back