Hypocritical, or not?

Do you support the hiring of Hugh Freeze as OC?

• yes

Votes: 420 89.2%
  • no

Votes: 51 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikepotts

I was listening to a local sports radio show this morning and they were polling this as well. At the time the poll was 62% in favor of the hire (IIRC) but it seemed like their number would drop from the conversation. I was curious what the thoughts of membership here were.

My $0.02... I was NOT in favor of the Schiano hire, but not for the consensus reason. I didnt care for his coaching record/results. That being said i was not enthused about the Pruitt hire either, but we all set ourselves up for the "big splash" hire and we (for the most part) were underwhelmed with what we got. For me the jury is still out with CJP, but i am giving him a fair shake and showing my support.

The argument on the radio was that he (Freeze) is a good coach but a bad guy... and it would by hypocritical to hire Freeze after not hiring Schiano. I feel like it would be hypocritical to claim to be a christian and not want one guy... but on the other hand not show forgiveness and giving the other guy a second chance to prove he is sorry for what he did...

This whole conversation can get deep, im keeping this first post as simple as i can and keeping the poll simple just to get an idea. Please explain your stand/why you made your choice.

One hired prostitutes.
One, allegedly, allowed child rape to continue.

and thats what most people are basing it on. as for myself, i am just looking at the coaching record. Schiano was being considered for HC not OC and his HC record in lesser conferences didnt impress me, along with his record in the NFL. Freeze on the other hand has PROVEN he can coach as an HC and an OC in the SEC and he has PROVEN he can beat Bama.

One got caught hiring prostitutes doesn't mean there are not dozens maybe hundreds of coaches that have hired them. If we don't hire Freeze we may still end up hiring a coach that has hired them yet we want know that but guess not knowing makes it ok.

Would love to actually hear from someone who said or voted no.

At the end of the day, only crazy people brought up the Penn State stuff. The majority of the fan base didn’t want Schiano because he’s a horrible coach and that has been proven right by two instances: his demotion to CO-DC and the fact he didn’t get the interim when Urban was out.

I actually question the sanity of the people who post that Schiano covered something up or allowed it to continue as the main reason for not wanting him. I hated the PSU scandal but it’s hard to say heresay testimony in court should be biggest disqualifying factor against him. His coaching record disqualified him enough.

Hiring Freeze would totally be seen as hypocritical but the situations are nothing alike. What someone does in their personal life is no one’s business. The biggest thing I see is that Freeze’s wife is standing by him. If she can forgive him, no one else has any damn right to say anything on the matter. Recruiting at Tennessee is infitiely better than Ole Miss when money isn’t involved.

I’m sure the Wolken’s of the world will be blasting Tennessee but at the end of the day, he is simply anti Tennessee because he lost his direct line into one of the biggest Atheletic Departments in the country.

If Freeze is hired, Phil and Pruitt should be United in saying they believe in forgiveness and second chances but there will be a tight leash. Some of the greatest people in history have had issues or problems and have came back ten fold with a positive impact after getting a second chance. I literally see no downside on hiring Freeze. I see tons of downside of not hiring him.

I was listening to a local sports radio show this morning and they were polling this as well. At the time the poll was 62% in favor of the hire (IIRC) but it seemed like their number would drop from the conversation. I was curious what the thoughts of membership here were.

My $0.02... I was NOT in favor of the Schiano hire, but not for the consensus reason. I didnt care for his coaching record/results. That being said i was not enthused about the Pruitt hire either, but we all set ourselves up for the "big splash" hire and we (for the most part) were underwhelmed with what we got. For me the jury is still out with CJP, but i am giving him a fair shake and showing my support.

The argument on the radio was that he (Freeze) is a good coach but a bad guy... and it would by hypocritical to hire Freeze after not hiring Schiano. I feel like it would be hypocritical to claim to be a christian and not want one guy... but on the other hand not show forgiveness and giving the other guy a second chance to prove he is sorry for what he did...

This whole conversation can get deep, im keeping this first post as simple as i can and keeping the poll simple just to get an idea. Please explain your stand/why you made your choice.
Adding Freeze and Schiano in the same discussion as a moral leader is like adding Butch and Saban in the same discussion as coaching ability.

One condones raping kids and one condones infidelity.

Reactions: 08Vol
The man has repented for his transgressions, he knows the scrutiny he will be under, has passion for the game, has a history of success at the highest level, and undoubtedly will be on his best behavior to save his career.
It’s a no brainer, give the man a second chance, keep him on a short leash, add a longer contract with a large buyout to keep him put for a while, and let’s go win!

One got caught hiring prostitutes doesn't mean there are not dozens maybe hundreds of coaches that have hired them. If we don't hire Freeze we may still end up hiring a coach that has hired them yet we want know that but guess not knowing makes it ok.
And lied, and lied and lied. Tried to blame it on previous coach and the school paid out for it.

At the end of the day, only crazy people brought up the Penn State stuff. The majority of the fan base didn’t want Schiano because he’s a horrible coach and that has been proven right by two instances: his demotion to CO-DC and the fact he didn’t get the interim when Urban was out.

I actually question the sanity of the people who post that Schiano covered something up or allowed it to continue as the main reason for not wanting him. I hated the PSU scandal but it’s hard to say heresay testimony in court should be biggest disqualifying factor against him. His coaching record disqualified him enough.

Hiring Freeze would totally be seen as hypocritical but the situations are nothing alike. What someone does in their personal life is no one’s business. The biggest thing I see is that Freeze’s wife is standing by him. If she can forgive him, no one else has any damn right to say anything on the matter. Recruiting at Tennessee is infitiely better than Ole Miss when money isn’t involved.

I’m sure the Wolken’s of the world will be blasting Tennessee but at the end of the day, he is simply anti Tennessee because he lost his direct line into one of the biggest Atheletic Departments in the country.

If Freeze is hired, Phil and Pruitt should be United in saying they believe in forgiveness and second chances but there will be a tight leash. Some of the greatest people in history have had issues or problems and have came back ten fold with a positive impact after getting a second chance. I literally see no downside on hiring Freeze. I see tons of downside of not hiring him.

Fulmer: Jeremy and I met with Coach Freeze at Shoneys over biscuits and gravy and....
Pruitt: Cornbread
Fulmer: yes, Jeremy had cornbread. Anyway Coach Freeze assured us no more poontang.
Pruitt: Aight.

People didny want schiano cause of penn st. Stop fooling yourself.

1. I actually question the sanity of the people who post that Schiano covered something up or allowed it to continue as the main reason for not wanting him. I hated the PSU scandal but it’s hard to say heresay testimony in court should be biggest disqualifying factor against him. His coaching record disqualified him enough.

2. If Freeze is hired, Phil and Pruitt should be United in saying they believe in forgiveness and second chances but there will be a tight leash. Some of the greatest people in history have had issues or problems and have came back ten fold with a positive impact after getting a second chance. I literally see no downside on hiring Freeze. I see tons of downside of not hiring him.

On your point 1, I agree wholeheartedly. I was actually born in PA and grew up a PSU/Paterno fan. When I moved to TN 35 yrs ago I immediately immersed myself in all things UT and have never looked back! That being said, I feel like Paterno was a fall guy/patsy, from what I remember of the proceedings, he went to his superiors about the disgusting Pedophile in his midst. It was then in their hands to deal with. They chose to do whatever they did... in the end people felt like Joe didnt do enough, and that may be the case. i know at my job, if i knew someone here did something wrong and i went to my boss about it... at that point its out of my hands.

Let's be honest, one was a coach who in all facets sucked at the college and pro level. This is the same guy who treated his players like crap to the point that a lot of them didn't wanted to play for him any more. Violated NFL rules after allegedly outing one of his players being in the drug program, and ordered his players to dive at QBs knees during a kneel down. The dude is a prick all around.

The other as far as we know, had players who played hard for him all the time and actually liked being around him, and has been a success where ever he's been.

I didn't want Schiano because he wouldn't have fit in here, he would've made everything worse by his attitude and his ability to coach.

While Freeze might have paid for hookers, that's at least, I won't say normal adult thing, but it's more accepted than what allegedly happened at PSU. There is no hypocrisy with this. In fact the media should be happy that we would give a guy a second chance, they won't though, we'll get raked over the coals for it, we'll be talked down to at every turn, but at the end of the day Freeze, just on coaching ability alone is a better hire than Schiano could've ever been.

Last edited:
and thats what most people are basing it on. as for myself, i am just looking at the coaching record. Schiano was being considered for HC not OC and his HC record in lesser conferences didnt impress me, along with his record in the NFL. Freeze on the other hand has PROVEN he can coach as an HC and an OC in the SEC and he has PROVEN he can beat Bama.

These radio stations are only here to make money and stir up the fan base. They are pretty good at both. They have an agenda and they execute it every day. Most of the statements made on the radio are not or have ever made by people who have been students at the University of Tennessee and could care less about anything that happen at my/your University. I don't care if that scum bag every sets foot on any Univrsity in the future. We won a Nathional Championship with out having to down grade the morals of our University in 1998 and it can/will be done again without Freeze.

Yeah I know, just funny now to see someone say it was because of coaching ability.

Since I am the "Someone" in your comment, feel free to go back and look at every post of mine. Was very anti Schiano based on his coaching record and character issues from his two year stint in Tampa. The loudest voices (aka some media folks) made the whole revolt about Penn State when in reality, the majority didn't want Schiano over his coaching ability and the fact he was baked in well in advance by the Haslam/Currie wing.

VN Store

Back