LV 2019 Recruiting Thread

If Beal is a wing? Why would Jackson come also? Just wondering!

I see no reason that they can't be on the court at the same time. It's no different from Westbrook and Hayes coming in at the same time, and Massengill and Zaay Green committing the following year before Annie got booted off.

Having said that, I think Jackson signs with MSST.

Reactions: JDuro
WBB: Brea Beal, 6-0 W, Rock Island HS (IL)—ranked #13 in the 2019 class by espnW—has announced her commitment to South Carolina. Second 2019 commit for the Gamecocks, joining Zia Cooke, 5-9 PG, Toledo Rogers HS (OH), ranked #7.
Looks like some great battles for the next few years with Tennessee.,

Looks like some great battles for the next few years with Tennessee.,

It just goes to show you what winning will do for you! Norte Dame , Miss.State , South Carolina, and of course UConn. We need to win to keep the top recruits wanting to come to UT. JMO

Reactions: mcannon1
I see no reason that they can't be on the court at the same time. It's no different from Westbrook and Hayes coming in at the same time, and Massengill and Zaay Green committing the following year before Annie got booted off.

Having said that, I think Jackson signs with MSST.

Your point of our four guards....Plus Horston, is why Cooke did not come here! JMO But that’s why I did not think she would go to SC! A lot of point guards there? But it’s better for the SEC to get as many top recruits as possible! There is still some top recruits deciding. We are out until next year or a possible JUCO?

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Your point of our four guards....Plus Horston, is why Cooke did not come here! JMO But that’s why I did not think she would go to SC! A lot of point guards there? But it’s better for the SEC to get as many top recruits as possible! There is still some top recruits deciding. We are out until next year or a possible JUCO?
Recent print and video comments from Cooke show that she’s been pretty transfixed on playing for Dawn and the Gamecocks for awhile, she just needed to do her due diligence to ultimately make sure SC is where she wanted to go. Dawn has been cultivating a relationship with Zia since 8th grade. In the end it came down to SC and Louisville.

Reactions: SCspur
True, but most teams are going 4/1 more 5/Out/ and the 3/2 sets u seeing a lot of high low, so the matchups against heavier post players is happening selectively against certain teams, seems like all the top 10 are running a lot 4/1 or 5 out, besides Baylor, MSU, and ND (ability to go small and big.)

Yeah, defensively can be dicey against the right team, but trying to defend them will force an adjustment. The way the women's game is moving, being way more versatile with the ability to go big and small, throughout the games and season, really seeking to get the mismatch a team wants is making coaches load up wings and guards, especially players who can play multiple positions.

I would want them both a as coach, for the most part, I'll make it work. lol . Like some, I think Jackson is headed to Rutgers.

Reactions: SCGamecock
Jackson (I agree) but a 6’ wing made to go in the paint? I don’t know? Just watch our Davis at 6’2” is getting over powered sometimes. JMO 🤔

Allisha Gray played PF for SC during their NC run, as did Victoria Vivians for MSST last year...both rather effectively. If you're a big, strong guard willing to rebound, it can be done. I think the challenge with Rennia is that she is very slight of build, but otherwise has the skillset to play the high post.

Reactions: NoBackBoard

Well both can play 2-4 positions meaning they can be on the court at the same time ala Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray.

Jackson (I agree) but a 6’ wing made to go in the paint? I don’t know? Just watch our Davis at 6’2” is getting over powered sometimes. JMO 🤔

This is a highlight clip showing how well rounded Beal’s game is! She plays much bigger than her height & yes, that is Tennessee’s Tamari Key who she’s battling with downlow.

Reactions: JDuro
True, but most teams are going 4/1 more 5/Out/ and the 3/2 sets u seeing a lot of high low, so the matchups against heavier post players is happening selectively against certain teams, seems like all the top 10 are running a lot 4/1 or 5 out, besides Baylor, MSU, and ND (ability to go small and big.)

Yeah, defensively can be dicey against the right team, but trying to defend them will force an adjustment. The way the women's game is moving, being way more versatile with the ability to go big and small, throughout the games and season, really seeking to get the mismatch a team wants is making coaches load up wings and guards, especially players who can play multiple positions.

I would want them both a as coach, for the most part, I'll make it work. lol . Like some, I think Jackson is headed to Rutgers.

This.

Plus I think the days of the double-post offense at South Carolina are gone. I expect to see us play a lot more 4 out/1 in going forward, like we did during our championship run. SC will still go after bigs, but they'll probably look more like a Laeticia Amihere/Shakira Austin/Olivia Nelson-Ododa and less like Alaina Coates/Elem Ibiam. Dawn recently said in an interview that this guard heavy-positionless style is how she wants to play going forward.

Reactions: JDuro and SCspur

I think they are very different and very versatile in that aspect. If SC gets Amihere and Jackson I can see us having a starting lineup of:

Point guard - Henderson
Off guard - Cooke
Wings - Beal and Jackson
Post - Amihere

That's essentially 4 out and 1 in, the exact style Dawn wants to play going forward. Neither Beal or Jackson are traditional forwards, but they are so versatile offensively and defensively. Beal in particular, with her strong and athletic body, is very much capable of guarding players bigger than her. She's so similar to Allisha Gray that its mind boggling.

Allisha Gray played PF for SC during their NC run, as did Victoria Vivians for MSST last year...both rather effectively. If you're a big, strong guard willing to rebound, it can be done. I think the challenge with Rennia is that she is very slight of build, but otherwise has the skillset to play the high post.

And before her Aleighsa Welch and Ashley Bruner were both 6-0 posts who led USC in rebounding before Coates joined the team and Ibiam found her game. Staley's first 2 NCAAT teams had them as her primary post players, with guards Ieasia Walker, La'Keisha Sutton, and Markeshia Grant. Those teams were Staley's best teams defensively, finishing in the top 5 nationally in scoring defense both years, and that defense began with her perimeter players. But they weren't very deep in talent, were not very good scoring teams, and when it came time to compete against opponents with length, like Stanford, Tennessee, UNC, etc. they were usually dominated on the boards.

Also, during the Gamecock's national championship season, when Coates was lost to injury, PG Bianca Cuevas-Moore - who had lost the starting PG duties to freshman Tyasha Harris earlier in the season - was put into the lineup more alongside Harris as a ball-handling guard in the shooter's spot. The team seemed to flow quicker with the two guards as well as Davis and Gray, while Harris continued the ball distribution role that Cuevas-Moore was a little too erratic in, but Cuevas-Moore's speed factor and in-your-hip-pocket defense helped rattle opponents during the tournament run. Nothing negative regarding Coates as she was a dominate player for the Gamecocks, but I think Staley had been trying to find ways to speed up the team's offense for a while (having former Vanderbilt HC Melanie Balcomb on the staff as an advisor was one way to do that), and having more guards in the unit was a way she better identifies with.

It seems like Staley wants to try having better talent at the guard/wing positions in terms of scoring, while still have longer posts around 6-2, 6-3 who can present a better physical presence in the paint, but who can also face the basket and step out a bit, and move better in transition. So in the end have a faster tempo for a more aggressive team, particularly defensively but offensively too.

Reactions: SCspur and JDuro
It just goes to show you what winning will do for you! Norte Dame , Miss.State , South Carolina, and of course UConn. We need to win to keep the top recruits wanting to come to UT. JMO

No battle here. Next year will be great for TN. Dawn didn't recruit any height at all. All are guards.

Just an FYI that I was on the boneyard and a UT fan posted a tweet from Horston about signing on the 28th of this month. A Uconn fan noted that this date was past the early signing period. Another Uconn fan posted that Holly had about a 50-50 chance of screwing this up.
That was really rude.

Just an FYI that I was on the boneyard and a UT fan posted a tweet from Horston about signing on the 28th of this month. A Uconn fan noted that this date was past the early signing period. Another Uconn fan posted that Holly had about a 50-50 chance of screwing this up.
That was really rude.

So she can have her signing on 28th! As long as she signs the official paper and fax it to Holly in that window she can make a copy and do it as a signing party that allows her to sign with other teammates or align with the schools schedule. Remember Rennia did the same thing she sent her paperwork in before hand and then signed the last day or day after. It is not uncommon for people to send in their financial aid papers then have a signing for friends and family later.

Unless we go juco for a player I think our class is done. We have as much talent as anyone if the players develop and play up to their potential were definitely top ten next season could do it this season if freshmen play to a level not expected.

We'll go into next season unless someone transfers or goes Pro with the following roster.

Seniors

Lou Brown
Kamera Harris

Juniors

Rennia Davis
Evina Westbrook
Kasiyahna Kushkituah

Sophomores

Amira Collins
Rae Burrell
Zaay Green
Jasmine Massengill

Freshmen

Jordan Horston
Emily Saunders
Tamari Key

That was really rude.
Her mom tweeted that she would sign and fax her paperwork on the 14th. The ceremony at her school will be on the 28th

Reactions: dtnvol and Will83
As we get to the end of the recruiting process, are coaches allowed to continue contact with a recruit that did not choose their program?

Also, this close to signing has a high profile recruit in recent history changed their mind. I know Collier decomitted from uconn, but that was a few months before signing date.

VN Store

Back