Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a perfect storm of suckage between the Kiffin departure, scramble hire of Dooley who wasn't ready, and then Butch's mismanagement of the roster that has led us to where we are. If Jim Mora Jr. hadn't sucked in 2009 with the Seahawks none of this would have ever happened to the Vols.

In an alternate universe somewhere, the Vols hired Kiffin for the 2009 season, and Matt Hasselback had a career year for the Seahawk. Jim Mora Jr. keeps his job, and Pete Carroll doesn't leave USC. Kiffin wins the SEC in 2011 and 2012, but gets in trouble for recruiting violations. The Vols hire up and coming superstar Dabo Swinney from Clemson to replace Kiffin for the 2013 season. Vols win titles in 2015-2016 with the Swinney/Dobbs combo.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Come on, Hank. This is getting a little ridiculous. I would personally like to see what KC can do, but I have more faith in the coaches than I do in my ability to evaluate a QB.

That’s all I’m saying too. I’ve seen enough of KC to know that he has a chance to improve the offense. We know what we have in JG. If KC sucks then just put JG back i, really not a big deal. Have to try something to get the offense going.

Every now and again I search hashtags like #GBO or #T19 etc on twitter. In doing so, I’ve come across a lot of tweets from this kid who is a former teammate of Carvin at Whitehaven.

If you go to his twitter page you’ll find countless tweets of him professing this desire to play at UT.

Tweeted last week he was coming during our bye for a workout.

Tweeted this last night.

Likely a new walk on, but if he joins it’s more inroads at Whitehaven.

Carvin was at Cordova, but McBride is from Whitehaven.

Last edited:
butch is a g5 coach at best. that's all he's every proved he was worth.

he did a lot things right off the field, especially concering the academic side of things.

everything else as to developing a football program at this level he was not very good at. sure, he could recruit, but he couldn't/didn't retain enough, or develop enough, of the talent he brought here. his game management skills were sub par, to put it mildly. and his general philosophy was completely tone deaf to what expectations were, are, and will be at a program like this. and he had no idea how to communicate with fans or media.

with Dooley....i mean really...he was the guy that said "yes" when he got the call. there was no way that was ever going to work out, and really, it wasn't his fault. what was he, 8th on the list, at best???? of course he sucked. the ending to the Dooley experiment was pretty predictable.

Kiffing screwed us bad.

and at the end of the day, there's roughly 3-4 people that we have to thank for all this anyway. Hamilton, Hart, Haslam, Cheek....
I agree. Plus how and when their practices and strength and conditioning. Head coach can make a bad hire but no strength coach just crazy. .

It’s been discussed numerous times, but the big decision that started the decline was firing Lawson as the S&C coach, because the players thought he was too hard. With each passing day, we got more and more soft, and that leaves us where we are today...one of the softest teams to don the orange. If Butch runs his program and makes the decisions he felt was best and not let the players do it, he probably is still here and who knows what may have happened in 2016. Also, his micromanaging of his coordinators was detrimental, too, and was his weird practice schedule.

However, he’s gone, and Pruitt is our coach, so let’s see if he can get these guys playing tougher every week. Hopefully, it starts tomorrow. Let’s go!!!
And let that be a forever lesson to any who follow. You must have an excellent S&C program in place or you will be Charmin soft. Now here is to the future, It does look bright. Patience is a virtue. GBO

We need a "rehash" thread so everyone can give their opinions on the same thing they have already given their opinion on (former coaches, GOATS, NBA) for the 16th time and spare us the time.

-LeBron GOAT
-Jordan made a living off going against drivers Ed teachers and accountants
-Brady,Manning, Montana
-Bellicheck = Overrated
-Topgun = best volleyball movie ever
-cast away = 2nd best volleyball movie ever
-Butch = Not terrible
-Dooley = terrible
-JG = lost cause
- KC = worth a shot
-Tim Jordan, meet the bench.

We good?

-LeBron GOAT
-Jordan made a living off going against drivers Ed teachers and accountants
-Brady,Manning, Montana
-Bellicheck = Overrated
-Topgun = best volleyball movie ever
-cast away = 2nd best volleyball movie ever
-Butch = Not terrible
-Dooley = terrible
-JG = lost cause
- KC = worth a shot
-Tim Jordan, meet the bench.

We good?
Recieved and filed.

So you take away the two 9 win seasons he had here because he and Brady hoke lost a combined 8 games. I know we all hate butch but don’t be so stubborn.

I realize the nine wins was good. He recruited well for a bit. However, we did something that ruin a distinction we held only with Ohio State. No other coach in 100 plus years ever did that. He would’ve been fired if we went 5-7 instead. Forget Brady Hoke, that was still Butch’s team that lost 8. He made decisions during Title 9 and with his staff that combined make him the worse coach in UT history. Funny you accusing anyone of being stubborn. I didn't have hatred for Butch until I found out a few of his antics with players. Dooley and others may be jerks or arrogant but Butch was deplorable.

I realize the nine wins was good. He recruited well for a bit. However, we did something that ruin a distinction we held only with Ohio State. No other coach in 100 plus years ever did that. He would’ve been fired if we went 5-7 instead. Forget Brady Hoke, that was still Butch’s team that lost 8. He made decisions during Title 9 and with his staff that combined make him the worse coach in UT history. Funny you accusing anyone of being stubborn. I didn't have hatred for Butch until I found out a few of his antics with players. Dooley and others may be jerks or arrogant but Butch was deplorable.

Is that really where we are ? Clinging to a star the shows yea we’ve sucked for a decade plus but we’ve never sucked THAT BAD. There’s no difference in a 5 win season and a 4 win season. I’ll gladly relive those two 9 win years with a 4 win season over never getting there with Dooley and whatever the hell kiffin was.

the 9 wins in 2015 was "good" because it salvaged the bad losses to UF and OU and Ark

the 9 wins in 2016 was "who cares" because of the awful losses to USCe and Vandy. i mean, you beat freaking vandy that year and you're going to the sugar bowl, and a lot probably gets forgiven...you beat uga, fl, finish 2nd in the East (disappointing given the start) but you finish by going to a NY6 bowl that we haven't been to since 1991, and have 10 or 11 win season.

the narrative changes real quick. beat USCe and Vandy, you go to ATL.

the 9 win deal as a number on it's own is one thing. but really, both seasons have issues when put in the correct context.

last year was just the culmination and manifestation of all the issues we saw in both of those previous years, exasperated by the decision to fire in season, interim head coach, injuries etc, etc, etc.....

Watching the '15 Oklahoma game.

That team should of won 12+ games in 15 or 16.... shame.

I don't understand the narrative of Butch Jones leaving the roster in ruins. He was clearly close, and he brought the talent needed. The coaching and play calling was conservative, but that's not new.

Wish we knew what happened to this team. From a fan perspective, something definitely happened between the title 9 lawsuit and Jalen Hurd getting decked prancing across the goal line @ Georgia.

Just hard to believe we went from there to this... [pours another glass]

We still have a top 20 team by composite talent on 247. Hopefully Pruitt can revive these guys. Wish I could find a Dobbs or Evan Berry or Barnett on our roster in this recruiting class...
We do not have a top 20 roster, period. Don't care what 247 composite says. Folks need to stop using this argument with this particular team.

Is that really where we are ? Clinging to a star the shows yea we’ve sucked for a decade plus but we’ve never sucked THAT BAD. There’s no difference in a 5 win season and a 4 win season. I’ll gladly relive those two 9 win years with a 4 win season over never getting there with Dooley and whatever the hell kiffin was.
Kiffin was going to eat, had he stayed IMO

Painfully obvious we don’t have a top 20 roster

Don't confuse that "pain" of watching this team lose to top 10 team after top 10 team with what that roster could be without 3 OCs, 3 OL coaches, 3 DCs and 2 HCs in their cycle AND MORE IMPORTANTLY a different schedule that would allow a team to gain some confidence.

Does anyone here really want to argue that UCF-Colorado-NC state-Cincinnati all have better rosters that us?

That ridiculous if anyone wants to argue those teams whom are all ranked right now are better off than us.

They aren't at all. They all play realistic schedules while we have to beat playoff caliber teams to prove our roster is worth a damn

Reactions: barrylee
Going to be a lot of red in Baton Rouge on Saturday. Seen at least 50 UGA fans on the way to pick up breakfast in New Orleans this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back