Is anyone else just....bored with it?

Brave Volunteer

Thinking about it this morning, I don't think my issue with this season is so much the fact that we're losing (though it does suck) as it is that they're just not a very fun team to watch. Even back when we were losing under Dooley, at least the offense was dynamic and we had playmakers that were fun to watch. However this team is just so blah. There's nothing dynamic about them. We have players on offense that I do believe are capable of being dynamic like Calloway, Smith, Jennings, Jordan, etc. But none of it is translating on the field. On defense, I just don't see anyone that ignites the team or the crowd. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry.

No leaders. I don't know that i'm bored with it but i care a lot less these days. They won't fix it. Just keep hiring that guy that might work out. 5 year rebuild stuff is tiring, shouldn't take 5 years to find out if you suck. I knew Butch sucked after year 3.. I'll give this guy a couple more years to see if he sucks. It's about players. If you consistently recruit behind the teams you play, you'll be consistently behind the teams you play. May catch a odd year or two in there when you just have the better team. That will be the exception not the rule. Coaching may be 20% of it, the rest is the Jimmy's and Joe's.

no where near as bored as watching BAma play football. can't remember the last time i watched a whole game. lol.

bama football is like nascar. it's good background noise, and you check at the end to see if there's anything worth watching, and promptly flip the channel.

bama is so bored by winning they're not going to the games anymore....there's empty seats in that stadium.....and this could be the best team that ever took a field to play college football.

at least we still have the prospects of a chance something different might happpen, and that's worth watching......at least until it's not. lol.

I feel the same way more or less OP. I will watch every snap of every game, but it just isn't as fun. It is almost boring. I went from getting upset, to straight up apathy. Hopefully, something will start to click with the team, and we can start seeing some exciting football.

Thinking about it this morning, I don't think my issue with this season is so much the fact that we're losing (though it does suck) as it is that they're just not a very fun team to watch. Even back when we were losing under Dooley, at least the offense was dynamic and we had playmakers that were fun to watch. However this team is just so blah. There's nothing dynamic about them. We have players on offense that I do believe are capable of being dynamic like Calloway, Smith, Jennings, Jordan, etc. But none of it is translating on the field. On defense, I just don't see anyone that ignites the team or the crowd. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry.

A teams "personality" is a direct reflection of the Head Coach. Unfortunately, CJP is about as dynamic as a stump. When he shows ANY positive emotion towards his football team will be the first time. I'm sure he's a good dude, knows football, etc. but he's just plain boring as ****.

Reactions: VolAllen
No leaders. I don't know that i'm bored with it but i care a lot less these days. They won't fix it. Just keep hiring that guy that might work out. 5 year rebuild stuff is tiring, shouldn't take 5 years to find out if you suck. I knew Butch sucked after year 3.. I'll give this guy a couple more years to see if he sucks. It's about players. If you consistently recruit behind the teams you play, you'll be consistently behind the teams you play. May catch a odd year or two in there when you just have the better team. That will be the exception not the rule. Coaching may be 20% of it, the rest is the Jimmy's and Joe's.
I agree with you on most of this and I’m the same way. The only difference I have with you is that Jimmy and Joe (if they have a good head on their shoulders with the correct goals for themselves) have to be developed into all they can become and that’s on the coaches. May take quite a bit more than 20%.

Reactions: G8R8U2
Spot on OP. I feel the same. Same went for last years team as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolAllen
I can't decide whether we are vanilla (old Bama style) because that is how he wants to play, but we are not successful at it because we don't have a decent OL. Maybe Pruitt is playing this way, regardless of the outcome this year, because he thinks that will help recruit "road-grader" OL recruits. It he is just trying to survive these next few games, limit turnovers, then loosen the reigns against lesser competition in November.

understand your sentiment OP...sailboat in the doldrums...but, it's still the Vols, so I'll continue to do what I do...hope for a miracle...:D...and, as always,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The football team is terrible to watch. Lifeless, low energy, boring, bad. Just not good football. Even in the past when the team would lose there was some flash of excitement. This team? Nope. I still watch every single game but I get more enjoyment out of watching paint dry.

Jordan doesn’t have the ability to be dynamic. Chandler does, not Jordan.

IMO you may be conflating bad football with boring. Very poor execution is hard to watch and quickly become boring. Things like TEs whiffing on blocks, I mean touching nobody on a goal line play for a TD attempt as the lead blocker along with back to back to back penalties for the same thing in the kicking game are examples of poor footbal being on the field as a product. I can hardly watch a peewee team playing bad football much less one on Shields-Watkins wearing orange.

If college football was a dinner, I would equate this season to having to eat our vegetables in order to (hopefully) get to the dessert of future seasons.

Reactions: GhostVol
I watch every game and cheer my team thinking we at least have a chance to win. Most years I cheer to the final whistle, but 3 years I find myself falling asleep during the game — Fulmer’s last year with the Clawfense. Last year with the “ infallible offense” and this year with the no-fence. When the team cannot move the ball and we go 3 and out nearly every series, it’s hard to stay awake.
I hold out hope we will find some rhythm by the end of the year and maybe try some new wrinkles. This season has proven the importance of recruiting players instead of rankings (O-linemen are not as highly ranked, but you need lots of beer) and also S&C programs cannot be allowed to take a year (or more) off as Butch allowed — he should be sued for malpractice on that basis alone

VN Store

Back