Vols Wednesday Practice Thread: Auburn Week

Fingers

For the second straight day, head coach Jeremy Pruitt spent the first period with the receivers, as the unit focused on back-shoulder fades and quick slants. Pruitt personally showed Jauan Jennings and Josh Palmer how to run a route.

For the second straight day, sophomore Nathan Niehaus worked the entire two periods with the first-team offense at right guard. Jerome Carvin was with the 2s at center.

The secondary, with Micah Abernathy again working on the side, focused on pattern-matching. Shawn Shamburger was in Abernathy’s place and Theo Jackson was the second inside corner in the rabbits package.

The front-seven then worked on a drill I’ve never seen before. Going against the scout team o-line, Tennessee had its entire two-deep (linebackers and d-lineman in rabbits package) stacked on top of each other running through various blitz packages. At one time, there were literally 14 guys on defense together.
-Jesse Simonton

The most notable sight on Wednesday was starting safety Micah Abernathy again being limited to working out on the side. The senior's right ankle was noticeably taped as he went through a few rehab-looking exercises with a trainer. Abernathy was present and in uniform, but he did not partake in any drills or scout-team work during the open-viewing portions of practice.

Five scholarship safeties were going through drills: Nigel Warrior, Theo Jackson, Shawn Shamburger, Todd Kelly Jr. and Cheyenne Labruzza,

When the Vols worked on their dime defensive looks, the group that got the most work consisted of freshmen Bryce Thompson and Alontae Taylor at cornerback, Warrior and Shamburger at the safety spots and Baylen Buchanan and Jackson at the Star/Money spots.

Pruitt spent all of his time during the open parts of Wednesday's practice on the offensive field. He will not have been pleased with how his wide receivers looked during some routes-on-a-scout-teamer period as the drops again infiltrated those drills. Marquez Callaway had three drops and was clearly frustrated after the third one, and others were also guilty of not coming down with catches.
-Patrick Brown

Was just gonna ask the same question. That's what they do, catch the ball. Can they just not be taught? Can no one teach them? I mean, what? What?

Overanked maybe?

I refuse to believe JG can’t throw an accurate ball to his WRs in practice.

We’ve seen him throw a lot of catchable balls in games.

It makes no sense.

Overanked maybe?

I refuse to believe JG can’t throw an accurate ball to his WRs in practice.

We’ve seen him throw a lot of catchable balls in games.

It makes no sense.
JG looks fine in practice. But its practice. No pressure, no SEC speed defense, no linemen not blocking, no worrying about getting killed by the other team. Its practice. Nice, quiet, calm, serene football practice.

Was just gonna ask the same question. That's what they do, catch the ball. Can they just not be taught? Can no one teach them? I mean, what? What?
I’m more puzzled as to why coach has to show a senior we how to run a route. I was an average at best wr in hs many years ago but am always amazed at how many college wrs don’t do the basics like knowing where first down marker is on 3rd down, how to plant off pivot foot, how to come back for the ball on a curl instead of flattening the route, etc... sometimes wonder what these coaches are doing, or why there’s a problem retaining.

VN Store

Back