2018 Ryder Cup

I watched the whole thing. Basically a handful of US players got all the points. Most everyone else didn't do anything. Some were not even competitive. Tiger and Phil in that group. Tiger looked like he didn't even want to be there at all. His entire demeanor smelled of pain/injury. But he says he's fine.

Spieth, 0-6 in singles.
Bubba, does not appear to give a flip.
DJ, not sure he really cares either.
DeChambeau, could not hit a putt that mattered. Needed more analysis, I guess.
Likely Phil’s swan song.

Furyk, made all the wrong moves except for the lineup today and benching Phil Saturday. He got the early points they needed. Everything else was questionable.

Reactions: TBrown
I said it earlier....but I would love to hear (never going to happen) an honest answer to the question of how much each US player really cares if they win or not.

I said it earlier....but I would love to hear (never going to happen) an honest answer to the question of how much each US player really cares if they win or not.
I think spieth cared .. whether about individual performance or for the cup who knows. Finau post round interview today was awesome too

Otherwise I agree

Reactions: GBOx2
I think spieth cared .. whether about individual performance or for the cup who knows. Finau post round interview today was awesome too

Otherwise I agree

Spieth is the anti-Tiger. He clearly enjoys the team portion where Tiger prefers the individual match.

Anyone catch the interview after the USA tournament? Spieth was talking and asked a question to Tiger and I guess he didn’t respond and Spieth said “good talk Tiger.” I didn’t get what occurred.

Disagree with lots of the above. I don't think very many of the Euros are playing this course regularly, and there's no question the drive to win the Ryder Cup the Americans have. It's blatantly evident by just watching.
I don't know how many rounds the Euros have played on this course versus the Americans, but I assume it's more. Both Euros and Americans play on courses in the US, and Americans don't really play on their courses.

I just disagree about the drive to win this thing on the part of the Americans. It seems like the Euros just want to win it more and it means more to them. I've never gotten the impression that Tiger, DJ, Bubba, perhaps some other Americans assign a particularly high level of importance to this tournament. Tiger in particular - as others have pointed out I think he couldn't care less about the team competition. I'm sure he wants to win his singles match on Sunday as an individual, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think he has some burning desire to win this tournament.

I've always gotten the impression that the Euros assign something akin to a 5th major-level of importance to it, like the Players Championship or the Tour Championship. They seemingly win the tournament every year, yet get talked about like underdogs (not necessarily by oddsmakers, just in the media) since they never look as good on paper and the game of golf is still centered in the United States. If I were a Euro, being the underdog every year would tick me off and make me want to win it even more.

TBH, the golf history books will look at major championships and PGA victories as a metric for overall success, not match play events.

Europeans only care about these things because they have an inferiority complex with the US.

Europeans only care about these things because they have an inferiority complex with the US.

Maybe in the past. Not today. World wide travel and Tournaments with the best players in the world all together as it is now, the Euros and players from anywhere don't feel inferior to anyone.

Could it be more clear that Pateick Reed and a team environment just don't mix?

Could it be more clear that Pateick Reed and a team environment just don't mix?

Right? I hope he's able to make the team on his own merits because the chances of ever being a captains pick probably are zero.

Maybe in the past. Not today. World wide travel and Tournaments with the best players in the world all together as it is now, the Euros and players from anywhere don't feel inferior to anyone.
You can still have an inferiority complex and not actually be inferior to anyone. I think the Europeans feel like underdogs going into each of these Ryder Cups even though they actually aren't especially the ones held in Europe.

Athletes do this all the time. People who have coached and played with Aaron Rodgers say he appears to be driven every single day by a desire to prove that he shouldn't have slipped in the draft and should have been more highly recruited out of high school. They say he wants to prove people wrong and that those things still bother him. To say the least, he's proven people wrong, but he still tries to. That's a form of an inferiority complex, IMO. Similar things have been said about Brady.

Reactions: peaygolf
You can still have an inferiority complex and not actually be inferior to anyone. I think the Europeans feel like underdogs going into each of these Ryder Cups even though they actually aren't especially the ones held in Europe.

Athletes do this all the time. People who have coached and played with Aaron Rodgers say he appears to be driven every single day by a desire to prove that he shouldn't have slipped in the draft and should have been more highly recruited out of high school. They say he wants to prove people wrong and that those things still bother him. To say the least, he's proven people wrong, but he still tries to. That's a form of an inferiority complex, IMO. Similar things have been said about Brady.
See your point......Not as much $ on their tours, players aren't coddled like they are over here, and courses as a whole aren't as "perfect" as they are here. I see that. Good point.

They "play" that role well, But, I don't think they believe they are inferior.

See your point......Not as much $ on their tours, players aren't coddled like they are over here, and courses as a whole aren't as "perfect" as they are here. I see that. Good point.

They "play" that role well, But, I don't think they believe they are inferior.
Oh I totally agree with you - they are not inferior, especially when playing in Europe. I do think that more often than not the US team looks better on paper, but that very well could be because I am more familiar with the US players and they are more recognizable to me. The Euros are recognizable too, but you just don't hear about them as much in the US.

Regardless, they are pretty clearly able to generate an "us against the world" mentality, whether based in myth or fact, that helps them.

VN Store

Back