By year 2...

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
I have heard some pundits state that by year 2 you will know if you have the "right guy (coach)." As I recall Saban had bubba in contender form in his second year. He had a mess to deal with, lack of depth etc. The barely able to speak Smart had jawja looking like Natty contenders by year 2. I am sure there are many other examples to cite across the country.

With this in mind, what should we expect next year? I for one will expect a massive leap, expect to compete in every single game and have at least 8 wins. This of course assumes Pruitt is indeed "the right guy".

Thoughts?

i think by 2 years pruitt would have great recruiting class and we will be going 6-6 easily but thats my thoughts i could be wrong

Personally, I'll be one year closer to Medicare. Beyond that, I got nuthin'.

Sorry. Shouldn't be a thread-downer. On topic, Hopefully, Pruitt will retain his in-coming recruits and be able to teach them SEC football next season. We should see im provement because we have young guys playing important positions this year. A big plus is a full year and a half of conditioning and buy-in.

I doubt we'll be a contender for the SEC next year, but we should see a leap in the performance of team if Pruitt's methods, hires, and recruiting are working.

Most definitely. The schedule next year is much easier.

How many teams will out talent UT next season outside of Alabama and Georgia...and maybe Florida?

I have heard some pundits state that by year 2 you will know if you have the "right guy (coach)." As I recall Saban had bubba in contender form in his second year. He had a mess to deal with, lack of depth etc. The barely able to speak Smart had jawja looking like Natty contenders by year 2. I am sure there are many other examples to cite across the country.

With this in mind, what should we expect next year? I for one will expect a massive leap, expect to compete in every single game and have at least 8 wins. This of course assumes Pruitt is indeed "the right guy".

Thoughts?
My expectation is 2 more wins than the prior year. Steady growth would be a great start.

Reactions: Weezer and cbatey1
I've said it since this question was posed months ago...

We'll ALL know if Pruitt is "the man" by January 1, 2020. No excuses. Every upper level coach has shown BIG improvements in year 2. Plus... our schedule seems to be a bit easier next year.

I really think next years schedule sets up nice for Pruitt to make a jump and if Tennessee can pick up a few graduate transfers this off season it could mean an extra W somewhere

Aug. 31: Georgia State Win
Sept. 7: BYU Win
Sept. 14: Chattanooga Win
Sept. 21: at Florida Loss ( The Florida Factor )
Sept. 28: Bye
Oct. 5: Georgia Loss
Oct. 12: Mississippi State Win ( They will fall of the face of the earth next year )
Oct. 19: at Alabama Loss
Oct. 26: South Carolina Win
Nov. 2: UAB Win
Nov. 9: at Kentucky Win
Nov. 16: Bye
Nov. 23: at Missouri Win
Nov. 30: Vanderbilt Win

All kitchens aren't the same when you hire a new cook. The place may be well-stocked with fresh produce, meats, spices, and flavoring herbs. Some are not. The chef's experience notwithstanding, it will be the difference between your meal. Whether you will be served a dish rivaling a five star resturant or simple bowl of oatmeal. The oatmeal server isn't going to serve better until his food supply orders are all in place. His kitchen may be miles away in some secluded hideaway in Wyoming. Instead of the 5 star chef kitchen 10 mile drive from a meat plant and produce warehouse. Turnaround time is different but you want to eat right now. Truth be told oatmeal might be preferred but it'll have to serve until better ingredients arrive.

Sure road is presently dark
And you can no longer see
Just let the process throw a spark
And have a little faith in he
This Pruitt fellow even if you cry
Just keep believing or at least try
And have a little faith in he
That Pruiitt fellow, you'll see
Have a little faith in he

Thoughts?
Not only did Saban have Bama in elite position in year two, in his "bad" 6-6 year one, all of Bama's losses were one possession games. They were very competitive in all their losses, and even upset a couple of ranked teams. We havent seen that with Pruitt so far at all. UT has been embarassed in both games against opponents with a pulse. So these comparisons only go so far.

I really think next years schedule sets up nice for Pruitt to make a jump and if Tennessee can pick up a few graduate transfers this off season it could mean an extra W somewhere

Oct. 12: Mississippi State Win ( They will fall of the face of the earth next year )

9-3 that seems a bit to high maybe a loss to Mississippi State and maybe BYU

Reactions: VolsnRavens

I do like our schedule next year....

But its awesome we already assume uk, mizz and vandy are automatic wins again. It is highly likely that by the time we play them next year they will all own winning streaks against us.

Thoughts?

Smart's cupboard was hardly bare when he took over, unfortunately the Vols are not where Georgia was when Smart took over, maybe in 3 or 4 years the Vols will be on top

Saban? Maybe not as bad as what we are now but they were pretty bad.

They were better off than Tennessee is now. It’s not even close. They went to bowls the 3 years prior to Saban’s arrival.

The worst loss for Alabama in 2006 (Shula’s last year) was by 15 on the road to eventual national champion, Florida.

In addition, Saban added pieces from the 2nd year recruiting class like Julio Jones.

Night and day

Thoughts?
For me it is simply field a competitive team. Our record could be the same. But at minimum CJP should have our team in a position to win at the end even if we simply come up short. That is improvement compared to this year so far. Even before next season rolls around, we should see improvement in our whole team after Bama. AND we must see a solid recruiting class.

I do like our schedule next year....

But its awesome we already assume uk, mizz and vandy are automatic wins again. It is highly likely that by the time we play them next year they will all own winning streaks against us.
I'm not assuming anything, I'm simply guessing.

It looks like 3-4 wins is the ceiling this year. Would look for 6-7 next year with a bowl trip. That would be good progress. Not going to be contending for SEC East next year. We are too far in the dumpster right now. Incredibly soft for a P5 school. Will take a purge of a lot of these players and an infusion of players that Pruitt recruits himself (along with his staff) to get out of this mess.

For me it is simply field a competitive team. Our record could be the same. But at minimum CJP should have our team in a position to win at the end even if we simply come up short. That is improvement compared to this year so far. Even before next season rolls around, we should see improvement in our whole team after Bama. AND we must see a solid recruiting class.

Same here, if we were in the game during the 4th quarter against WVU and UF I would have a different opinion of his abilities.

Reactions: 08Vol and McDad
believe we have about three years, at least, before we contend for the SEC East...it won't be easy...and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back