Nebraska 0-2

Neal Brown was the guy I hoped TN would go after... he will be a good one at a top level school.

Lulz.

I forgot about Herm Edwards.

Funny too cause I remember all during the spring and summer, I don't think I heard one positive thing about him from any analyst. They were sure it was going to be a disaster.

Yep, Brown will be getting big job soon.
I thought he should have been looked at for UT.

Lulz.

Funny too cause I remember all during the spring and summer, I don't think I heard one positive thing about him from any analyst. They were sure it was going to be a disaster.
I'm thinking Herm's success is kind of like Tebow's NFL success, just a bunch of humorous luck strung together

Pretty sure his first year at UCF wasn’t all rainbows but his second or maybe he goes undefeated and beats good auburn team with great sec defense to finish the year

Also stuck around to coach the bowl which was real cool imo

They started a walk on qb

They had an open competition to be starter. The loser transferred. A little tough to be making any statements yet.

They had an open competition to be starter. The loser transferred. A little tough to be making any statements yet.

This. Not much Frost can do and Nebraska was 4-8 last year. Plus it’s not like Troy is terrible, they beat LSU last year and hung around with Clemson two years ago.

Poor Frost. He moves from a Group of 5 to Power 5 and can't win, while his old Group of 5 team has plans on either a return visit to Atlanta, or dragging another one of those backbreaking monstrosities the Fiesta Bowl calls a trophy back to Orlando. Good game the Fiesta Bowl, but dragging a 200 pound trophy around probably sucks. They should have just attached the gold football to a simple base and been done with it.

I wish him well, but this may be one of few times where moving from a Group of 5 program to a Power 5 program turns out to have been a huge downgrade.

The honeymoon is definitely over. But Frost is going to be an outstanding coach. I said it when he was hired. I'm still saying it.
I agree. My Nebraska friend wants to see the team do well this year but he has no concerns about the future of their program.

Reactions: TennTom

And we had an open competition! One of those two teams has four scholarship QBs on the roster. Without naming names I’d go with that team’s HC as handling the situation better.

Lulz.

I'm thinking Herm's success is kind of like Tebow's NFL success, just a bunch of humorous luck strung together

And then he lost to San Diego State.

As bad as some of these starts are (Taggart's is even worse than Frost's), I don't see how you can come to any sort of firm conclusion about a college coach until you give him a chance to coach guys he has recruited. That means that you can't really start forming conclusions until towards the end of year 2 and into year 3, and you don't really know until after year 3.

Reactions: lifeVol
As bad as some of these starts are (Taggart's is even worse than Frost's), I don't see how you can come to any sort of firm conclusion about a college coach until you give him a chance to coach guys he has recruited. That means that you can't really start forming conclusions until towards the end of year 2 and into year 3, and you don't really know until after year 3.
Hasn’t stopped us.

Hasn’t stopped us.
I know - I mean you certainly can start to lean one way or the other about a person after a small sample size, but I don't think you can truly "know" until after a couple years at a minimum. We all had suspicions about Dooley and his abilities as soon as he was hired, but I don't think anybody really knew how bad a coach he was until later on in that second year, particularly after the Kentucky loss. By the middle of year 3, it was patently obvious he didn't have it and the firing was inevitable.

Butch actually steadily improved the program until midway through the 2016 season. It wasn't clearly apparent to me that he couldn't coach until the 2016 South Carolina game, and I had suspicions he couldn't coach starting during 2015 because of all the blown games. So we're talking 3-4 years in with Butch.

VN Store

Back