This is how I see it and why I like what I see from Pruitt

TN_Transplant

It's been said that the difference between "Good" and "Great" is common people doing uncommon things.

What we have to face is that we aren't good. We just aren't. So we need to change the saying for now. To be "Good", we need common people to do common things.

We have to get to "Good" first. And to do that, we have to learn and make a habit of the common things. We have to learn to do a basic block, and do it that way every snap. We need to learn to make a proper tackle, and do it that way on every tackle. We need to learn how to play basic pass coverage, and do it that way on every play. We need to learn how to rush the passer, and do it that way every time. We have to learn how to properly catch a pass, and catch it that way every time, etc. Coach Pruitt calls it learning to practice and learning to play.

All this is going to make us predictable. And we are going to lose a lot of games. But we will eventually get consistent. We will develop sound fundamentals. We will become "Good".

Then (and only then) we can start to focus on the uncommon things in order to become Great.

What I like about what I see from Jeremy Pruitt is that he recognizes this. He is spending his time where he can with the younger guys. I believe that means he is planning for the future and playing the 'long game'. He wants to teach the younger ones that will be the foundation for future teams. When he talks, he points out specific examples of how people do things incorrectly and how they can fix it. He talks about learning to warm up correctly, learning to leave the hotel correctly, etc. He wants to establish a culture, a way of doing things.

Coaches in the past have talked about catch phrases, or about historical figures. I like the way Pruitt talks about football, how his lays out his philosophy, how he refuses to admit only 3 penalties are okay. Which means that I am willing to give him more of the benefit of the doubt over the long term. I believe that he will eventual make us "Good". And then we can learn to be "Great".

It's been said that the difference between "Good" and "Great" is common people doing uncommon things.

What we have to face is that we aren't good. We just aren't. So we need to change the saying for now. To be "Good", we need common people to do common things.

We have to get to "Good" first. And to do that, we have to learn and make a habit of the common things. We have to learn to do a basic block, and do it that way every snap. We need to learn to make a proper tackle, and do it that way on every tackle. We need to learn how to play basic pass coverage, and do it that way on every play. We need to learn how to rush the passer, and do it that way every time. We have to learn how to properly catch a pass, and catch it that way every time, etc. Coach Pruitt calls it learning to practice and learning to play.

All this is going to make us predictable. And we are going to lose a lot of games. But we will eventually get consistent. We will develop sound fundamentals. We will become "Good".

Then (and only then) we can start to focus on the uncommon things in order to become Great.

What I like about what I see from Jeremy Pruitt is that he recognizes this. He is spending his time where he can with the younger guys. I believe that means he is planning for the future and playing the 'long game'. He wants to teach the younger ones that will be the foundation for future teams. When he talks, he points out specific examples of how people do things incorrectly and how they can fix it. He talks about learning to warm up correctly, learning to leave the hotel correctly, etc. He wants to establish a culture, a way of doing things.

Coaches in the past have talked about catch phrases, or about historical figures. I like the way Pruitt talks about football, how his lays out his philosophy, how he refuses to admit only 3 penalties are okay. Which means that I am willing to give him more of the benefit of the doubt over the long term. I believe that he will eventual make us "Good". And then we can learn to be "Great".

I agree with this completely. I would add to it that he knows we are not good and will never be great, but he also knows that we can become much better just by focusing on execution. I also agree that he is and will be focusing on our younger players that show more potential. But he will make them earn it. They won't get on the field just because they are younger or because he recruited them. That is how you build it, execute the basics until you get them right then when they get it right you play the best players.
I am really excited by what I see.

You just continue to hear him say they have to practice right to play. Alontae Taylor didn't start Saturday guarantee he didn't get it done the right way in practice last week. Shamburger didn't play at all if some not a lot vs. WVA but he played a bunch vs. ETSU. Guarantee ya Shamburg practiced right last week. I really enjoyed watching 6, 20, 12, and 25 Saturday as they hit folks and played with spunk. It is what we need and I know etsu sucked but our guys need as many reps playing the right way for the long haul.

I agree with this completely. I would add to it that he knows we are not good and will never be great, but he also knows that we can become much better just by focusing on execution. I also agree that he is and will be focusing on our younger players that show more potential. But he will make them earn it. They won't get on the field just because they are younger or because he recruited them. That is how you build it, execute the basics until you get them right then when they get it right you play the best players.
I am really excited by what I see.
Pruitt is a true coach, you practice well you play, it's plain and simple. This is how a coach picks his starting line up. One crazy thing is Josh Dobbs would have never seen the field with Pruitt because Josh was a horrible practice player. Has been noted many times. UT is on the upswing and love what CJP brings to the table. The man can coach. Give him time and UT will be back. Will West silenced me but had to give my input on this. UT is on the upswing and give the man time........... Please, CJP is the one to right the ship just give him time, before you call for his head. This man can coach and UF is going to see that as well as the gauntlet we will face in October. Don't sell this team short. DON"T!

Reactions: Alto1
What did I just read? Are you drunk? 😂
Nope and I hope you weren't referring to me and if anyone is drunk I'd say you are. A concise post and to the point. CJP will right this ship plain and simple and if you don't agree so be it. Drunk? lol, no but I think you are!

Reactions: Pacer92
Nope and I hope you weren't referring to me and if anyone is drunk I'd say you are. A concise post and to the point. CJP will right this ship plain and simple and if you don't agree so be it. Drunk? lol, no but I think you are!
This MCM is strong with you 😂

What did I just read? Are you drunk? 😂
tenor.gif

I love coach Pruitt, love the way he breaks down tape on his show, love the way he is NEVER satisfied and always sees room for improvement. I think he will bring our program back to competing for SEC titles, which is the way into the playoffs. He is the real deal.

Saw my 1st thing about him that i do not like today. I have been defensive about him when other posters criticize him for his Bama background. While j love his no nonsense approach, Bob asked him what he thought about running through the Power T for the 1st time...Bob said " man, thats something isnt it!" And coach deadpanned with absolutely zero excitement or emotion "yeah, its different." Zero. Zero excitement. To be a lifelong Vol fan who like many played HS football and dreamed my entire childhood of JUST 1 TIME being able to run out through that Power T in front of 100,000 fans...to be a guy who has been to Neyland since i was a little boy and felt the excitement build as the T opens up and the drum major leans waaaaaaay back and runs through that T as 100,000 fans scream their heads off and "Its FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!"

I am not down on coach, i believe. But if that feeling in his chest doesnt change soon when he runs out through that T...he doesn't have a pulse. Hes already dead. I hope he figures out soon how special that is...and there are thousands of guys and little boys that dream about doing what he gets to do 6 or 8 times a year. If it doesnt come to mean something to him, i dont think he will be here long. He will leave for Bama or another job after he returns us to prominence. JmO tifwiw HUBANegas

We look bad right now. You would swear we have no talent on either line, but I am not ready to give up on this team. We have some players and they are getting better. We may yet get to a bowl game, it just depends on how quickly we improve.
I feel our oline has yet to fully understand their assignments and are easily confused by simple twists, stunts, and shifts. Friend will get them through it. When they understand they will be able to apply the physical attributes they have. I look forward to watching their development.
I feel we can also improve our pass rush, but first we have to get the assignments down.
I expect we will start the next game much better.
We will be better than we look now.

Good news is our receivers look good. Under butch we couldn’t catch a cold. I have been impressed with the hands. The coaching is working.

I can’t believe Dobbs was a bad practice player. He is an overachiever and you don’t get there by wasting time.

I love coach Pruitt, love the way he breaks down tape on his show, love the way he is NEVER satisfied and always sees room for improvement. I think he will bring our program back to competing for SEC titles, which is the way into the playoffs. He is the real deal.

Saw my 1st thing about him that i do not like today. I have been defensive about him when other posters criticize him for his Bama background. While j love his no nonsense approach, Bob asked him what he thought about running through the Power T for the 1st time...Bob said " man, thats something isnt it!" And coach deadpanned with absolutely zero excitement or emotion "yeah, its different." Zero. Zero excitement. To be a lifelong Vol fan who like many played HS football and dreamed my entire childhood of JUST 1 TIME being able to run out through that Power T in front of 100,000 fans...to be a guy who has been to Neyland since i was a little boy and felt the excitement build as the T opens up and the drum major leans waaaaaaay back and runs through that T as 100,000 fans scream their heads off and "Its FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!"

I am not down on coach, i believe. But if that feeling in his chest doesnt change soon when he runs out through that T...he doesn't have a pulse. Hes already dead. I hope he figures out soon how special that is...and there are thousands of guys and little boys that dream about doing what he gets to do 6 or 8 times a year. If it doesnt come to mean something to him, i dont think he will be here long. He will leave for Bama or another job after he returns us to prominence. JmO tifwiw HUBANegas

I think he's just really reserved with his emotions, especially personal ones such as this (running through power T). Watching him on the sideline; he rarely shows emotion, good or bad. I think that's a good trait as the other team's players/coaches will have a very hard time reading him: Is he freaking out, or composed and has a great game plan and not worried, or has no idea and is bluffing, or is scared $h*tless and trying to act calm? It's hard to read someone who is good at showing little to no emotions.

The less emotion he shows in interviews or even on the field, the better (although not what I'm used to I think it's in his benefit and personality.) That's why we don't hear dumb catch phrases and bricks and etc. It's about winning football to him.

Reactions: JJH and tbones0711

Today's coaches are paid mercenaries unless they're coaching their Alma Mater, for the most part. I could never understand how people used to talk how Butch loved UT and gave his all...hogwash, and not just because it was Butch. Hogwash because that doesn't develop quickly and it certainly doesn't happen quickly w/ a dyed in the wool Bammer, don't care how much the job pays.

The upside is it doesn't mean he can't/won't help us out and make us a better team in the long run, But him getting all giddy about running thru the Power T ain't going happen.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
" Learning to leave the hotel correctly" is the new " shower discipline".

Like the OP, I prefer for football coaches to talk about football as well. I can't really see Pruitt leading a symposium on the geopolitical climates of Northern Africa and their long term affect on the continent.

So....if I'm reading correctly, UT should have hired Tee Martin or Randy Sanders, because they "get it" about running through a T. OK.

We look bad right now. You would swear we have no talent on either line, but I am not ready to give up on this team. We have some players and they are getting better. We may yet get to a bowl game, it just depends on how quickly we improve.
I feel our oline has yet to fully understand their assignments and are easily confused by simple twists, stunts, and shifts. Friend will get them through it. When they understand they will be able to apply the physical attributes they have. I look forward to watching their development.
I feel we can also improve our pass rush, but first we have to get the assignments down.
I expect we will start the next game much better.
We will be better than we look now.

Good news is our receivers look good. Under butch we couldn’t catch a cold. I have been impressed with the hands. The coaching is working.

I can’t believe Dobbs was a bad practice player. He is an overachiever and you don’t get there by wasting time.

I want to hold out hope for a good season ( 6 wins or more) but looking over the horizon to what lies ahead on the schedule has me doubtful.

Coaching can help a lot but a lack of quality depth on both lines could really hamstring this team as the year wears on.

VN Store

Back