The new and improved Tips and FAQ thread

3rdDegreeVol

Go Vols!
Lab Rat
Rather than have a tips thread and a FAQ thread, here’s everything in one place.

Question for Freak? Wondering what he’s doing? Idea for a new feature? Check out Suggestions for freak
  • First thing, click on your avatar in the upper right corner to get a menu of different places you can visit. Make sure to set your preferences
    • Your content - your threads and posts
    • Likes received - to make you feel good (or bad) about yourself
    • Account details - Who are you?
    • Password and security - Stay safe out there
    • Preferences - Set your options for what email you want to get, content you want to watch, online privacy options, and alert preferences
    • Signature - Insert witty tagline here
    • Following - Don't miss what other posters are doing
    • Ignoring - Do miss what other posters are doing
  • General tips:
    • If you start scrolling up, an orange up arrow will pop up in the bottom right corner. Click on it to return to the top of the page
    • On mobile, the lightning bolt button on the top right takes you to the What's New page
    • Click on the Alerts button to see mentions, likes, and quotes of your posts. This will also clear the little red number. Click on an alert to go to that post. Click on show all to see all your alerts (most recent first)
    • Click on a like you gave to a post to remove it
    • Want to see who liked your post? Click on the likes to see the full list
    • Type @ followed by a username to alert someone they've been mentioned
    • At the bottom of the screen, you can click on the style name to choose other styles – more to come
    • Hover over a user's avatar to see more information about them
    • When you ignore somebody, the threads they start, posts they make, and quotes of their posts are all hidden without any kind of notification unless you go directly to a post of an ignored user, then it has to show something or it would generate an error.
  • Threads
    • If there are unread posts in the thread, the thread title will be bolded and clicking on will take you to the first unread. The problem is that all the posts transferred over as unread. If you go to the top of the page and click on the little triangle to the right of the forum button, there's an option to mark forums read. Click that and everything currently posted will be marked read and future posts will be unread. If there are unread posts in a thread but you'd rather go to the first post of the thread, click on the date instead of the title
    • OPs can edit the thread title
    • Hover over a thread title to see a pop-up preview of the first post
    • Forums have filters and sort options for viewing threads
    • You can also click on a thread's tag to filter all threads with the same tag
    • For recruit threads, you hit the embed button on Rivals or 247, copy the link inside that code (just the link. none of that other iframe code and stuff around it), then paste it in the reply box
    • To add a Twitter timeline use: https://twitter.com/username
    • Just copy/paste a link to embed tweets, YouTube videos, etc. No tags needed!
      • Current list of supported media - Apple Music, Dailymotion, Facebook, Flickr, Giphy, Imgur, Instagram, Liveleak, Metacafe, Pinterest, Reddit, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tumblr, Twitch, Twitter, Vimeo, YouTube
    • To post an image or gif from somewhere other than a supported site, you can copy/paste the image directly into the reply box, drag and drop it into the reply box, or use the image icon and then post the link
    • The attached photo button is only for photo uploads from your computer or mobile. Otherwise, use the picture icon to upload or paste a link to a picture. It will be full size.
    • The compose box will automatically save a draft of your new post
    • Type @ and a few letters of a user's name to bring up a list of users. Select one and it will tag them in the post and send them an alert
    • Ctrl + Enter works to post your post
  • Quotes/Replies
    • You can select text in a post to bring up the quote and reply buttons for the selected text
    • Replying to a post immediately puts the text in the compose/reply box
    • To do a multi-quote you have to hit the insert quotes button below the compose/reply box. It'll bring up a dialog which allows you to reorder them and then inserts them into the reply box
    • If you quote someone, the quote stays in the reply box until you delete it or make a post
  • Click on a like you gave to a post to remove it
  • Want to see who liked your post? Click on the likes to see the full list
  • Type @ followed by a username to alert someone they've been mentioned
  • At the bottom of the screen, you can click on the style name to choose other styles
  • Hover over a user's avatar to see more information about them
  • Click on the Alerts button to see mentions, likes, and quotes of your posts
Frequently Asked Questions
  • My likes are missing! What’s going on? – They are in the database but the new software counts them differently. Freak is working to get them back. Hang on!
  • How do I get 50 (or 10 or xxx) posts per page? - The software only supports 25
  • What about Tapatalk? - Tapatalk isn’t currently supported. Freak: “I won't completely rule it out, but their recent (in the last few years) updates are incredibly irritating for users on their browsers, with the splash pages and banners asking people to download their app. If I ever add it back, I'd have to be able to turn all that stuff off, which wasn't an option by default last time I checked.”
  • Where did all the emojis go? – Freak is working on adding some back in. Tell him which ones you want at What emojis do you want to see added?
  • Where do I find the mobile site? - Desktop and mobile are the same now. The website automatically scales to the device you’re using
  • What software is this? - Xenforo
  • I don’t like the background colors. What can I do? - Additional themes will be coming in the future. Will have an orange version and a Rock Gray version also
  • Why don’t old tweets show up? - The old tweets will have to be reformatted. It will probably be a bit before Freak gets to that though
  • What are the thread size limits? - No more thread size limits
  • Will there be an app? - Freak definitely plans to have an app of some sort at some point
  • My first unread post isn’t working? - All posts copied over were marked as unread so it’s starting at post number one. Mark the thread or forum as read and it’ll work after that.
  • Will the pro sports forums stay the same? - They may change format. Freak is still thinking about it.
  • How do I find a thread I started or a post I made? - Click on your avatar icon at the top right and click “your content.” Or go to the menu and I think you can click on just your threads. Also, make sure you've watched the thread and you'll get an alert every time someone posts in it. For posts, hopefully the person will @ you or quote your post to trigger an alert.
  • I get too many alerts. How can I fix this? - You can go into your profile and turn off the alerts you don’t want on the Preferences section
  • Is there some kind of filter on the ‘what’s new’? I don’t see any threads from the politics forum when I click on it. - Freak has left out politics for now. He plans to add an option that will allow folks to either opt-in or opt-out of viewing posts from that forum
  • Do we still have the "My Posts" feature? - Click on your avatar icon at the top right and select user content.
  • How do I follow someone? - On desktop, hover over their avi and click the follow button in the popup. On mobile you have to tap on their name or avi to bring up the popup.
  • How can I change my avatar/avi? - Click the current avatar at the top of the page and hover over the picture, there should be an “edit avatar” link. When you click that you can upload a picture.
  • How do I go to go to a specific page on mobile? - Click on the box at the top and bottom that has the page numbers (i.e. 14 of 14) and enter the page number you want.
  • Is there a way to ignore threads on this new forum? - There is not.
  • How do I change my user title? - Click on your avatar in the upper right corner next to the inbox and alerts. Go to account details and look for custom title
  • Can you help me post pictures on mobile?
    • Android - Long press on the image to get the menu. Choose copy link address. Come back to VN. Tap the picture icon. Click the little link icon. Paste the URL and click insert.
    • Apple - Tap and hold the image to the menu. Select copy. Go to VN. Press and hold in the reply box to get the little magnifying glass. Release and choose paste.
  • What does following someone do? – It's used in the news feed option which is disabled at the moment
  • Can we have animated avatars/avis? - No. It bogs downloading times for some people, especially mobile users. Sorry.
  • How do I multi-quote? - Hit the quote button on each of the posts you want to quote. Then, next to the attach files button under the reply box, hit the Insert Quotes button. A popup will come up allowing you to reorder if you want. Hit the orange Quote Messages button on the popup and they should appear in the reply box.
  • What do Senior member and Well-Known Member stand for? – They are based on post count. Freak plans on updating those to other tags at some point. Custom user titles can be set under your User Account > Account details section
  • Who is Frank? – Freak’s alter ego in the RF
  • Are you running this off of a home server yourself? - No chance. Data center.
  • Where is the "users online now" function? - It will be back.
  • Will there be a private message function? – Freak: “I’m just not a big fan of it for numerous reasons. For one, I want the discussions here to be on the board. Same reason I’m not a fan of chat boxes. I’ll use it to communicate violations of board rules from time to time, but that’s about it. I appreciate your feedback though.”
  • Will the favorite sports team logos come back? – Possibly
  • Are we going get the section on the home page where it shows the newest threads that have been created? - With the changeover, those scripts used to pull all that information no longer work, so Freak is having to go in and re-code some of them. He’s gotten the 'most viewed new threads in the past 24 hours" finished.
  • I'm can’t use any of the options (bold, underline, italics, pic etc.) in the reply box. How can I fix this? - Click the little gear.

Last edited:
More Frequently Asked Questions
  • How many likes do we get per day now? - We haven't had a limit for a year or two now.
  • In a quoted post, click the little up arrow next to the original poster's name to go to the quoted post

Last edited:
How to remove a post? I see it is now listed as an option,but I am not seeing how to do so. I have searched threads for a how to, tried it on my own yet am obviously not seeing something.If anybody here knows it would be greatly appreciated ! Oh yeah.... I’m asking for a friend 🤫

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
How to remove a post? I see it is now listed as an option,but I am not seeing how to do so. I have searched threads for a how to, tried it on my own yet am obviously not seeing something.If anybody here knows it would be greatly appreciated ! Oh yeah.... I’m asking for a friend 🤫
It was on the test site I think but I don't see it here. I'll take it out of the OP

Anyone else having issues typing from their mobile devices? I don't have the issue on other sites or in other apps. It takes a while to catch up to my typing and skips some of my letters. I posted earlier and it took 7 minutes to get the sentences out correctly. This post was corrected at least 9 times alone.

Anyone else having issues typing from their mobile devices? I don't have the issue on other sites or in other apps. It takes a while to catch up to my typing and skips some of my letters. I posted earlier and it took 7 minutes to get the sentences out correctly. This post was corrected at least 9 times alone.
Haven’t heard of anyone having that issue. Post in the suggestion thread the details of what phone you have.

Reactions: fossilfiction
Haven’t heard of anyone having that issue. Post in the suggestion thread the details of what phone you have.
Done and thanks for all you do. I was certain it was my device until I tested other sites and apps.

Why no 2018 football schedule under vols football on the home page?

I dont see the option to make a signature when I click my avatar. Where can I set my signature?

VN Store

Back