Pruitt slamming by UGA in law

I wish UT had a "primary" rival where it was unquestionable for both sides. In Bama's case, UT is pretty much Vandy to them these days. They have owned the series forver. Same for UF. Bama's main rival is Auburn and UF's is Fl State or UGA. You could argue UT's only "real" rivals are Vandy and KY (weve played UK more than anyone else and youve got the basketball thing too).

You contradict yourself when you say that Tennessee vs Vandy and Kentucky are rivalries but Tennessee vs Alabama is not. The fact is that Tennessee vs Vandy and Kentucky are far more lopsided historically than Tennessee vs Alabama. Kentucky has beaten Tennessee TWICE since 1985 for crying out loud!

... and a rivalry doesn't just develop because a series is close but if that is the one and only criteria, then how is Georgia vs Tennessee not a rivalry? It is the closest series in the SEC with more than 45 series meetings (Tennessee currently holds the series lead at 23-22-2). Tennessee has also won two of the last three meetings. Since 1980, the series is dead even at 15-15. Since the SEC split into two divisions in 1992, the series is 14-12 in Tennessee's favor.

This thread deals with Georgia, and the fact is, that Tennessee has more than held their own with them going back as far as you want to go... and yes, they beat the hell out of us last year... but what about what we did to them in 2009 under Kiffin? Or 2007, when they were pretty good?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
A rivalry doesn't just develop because a series is close but if that is the one and only criteria, then how is Georgia vs Tennessee not a rivalry? It is the closest series in the SEC with more than 45 series meetings (Tennessee currently holds the series lead at 23-22-2). Tennessee has also won two of the last three meetings. Since 1980, the series is dead even at 15-15. Since the SEC split into two divisions in 1992, the series is 14-12 in Tennessee's favor.

This thread deals with Georgia, and the fact is, that Tennessee has more than held their own with them going back as far as you want to go... and yes, they beat the hell out of us last year... but what about what we did to them in 2009 under Kiffin? Or 2007, when they were pretty good?

Good info.
Ask any Vol that has ever lived in the state of Georgia how they feel about pup fans. I bet you most would have a similar story to mine and say that they are INDEED rivals.

Reactions: 2 people
A rivalry doesn't just develop because a series is close but if that is the one and only criteria, then how is Georgia vs Tennessee not a rivalry? It is the closest series in the SEC with more than 45 series meetings (Tennessee currently holds the series lead at 23-22-2). Tennessee has also won two of the last three meetings. Since 1980, the series is dead even at 15-15. Since the SEC split into two divisions in 1992, the series is 14-12 in Tennessee's favor.

Yeah the all-time series is tied, but also consider the present and where the two programs are right now. It doesnt look good going forward for UT. I guess it depends on how you define rivalry. To UGA and Bama, they think UT is just an "important game" and not really a rivalry. Like I said, they have other teams they consider more of a rivalry than UT. All this is just my opinion, obviously.

You contradict yourself when you say that Tennessee vs Vandy and Kentucky are rivalries but Tennessee vs Alabama is not. The fact is that Tennessee vs Vandy and Kentucky are far more lopsided historically than Tennessee vs Alabama. Kentucky has beaten Tennessee TWICE since 1985 for crying out loud!

... and a rivalry doesn't just develop because a series is close but if that is the one and only criteria, then how is Georgia vs Tennessee not a rivalry? It is the closest series in the SEC with more than 45 series meetings (Tennessee currently holds the series lead at 23-22-2). Tennessee has also won two of the last three meetings. Since 1980, the series is dead even at 15-15. Since the SEC split into two divisions in 1992, the series is 14-12 in Tennessee's favor.

They are also now tied with us for 2nd most SEC Championships I think. UF only has like 6 or 7. And as far as I am concerned Alabama will always be our greatest rivalry. The Third Saturday in October is college football legend.

Good info.
Ask any Vol that has ever lived in the state of Georgia how they feel about pup fans. I bet you most would have a similar story to mine and say that they are INDEED rivals.

We have only played on an annual basis since 1992, so I understand those who will say that it's not a true rivalry... but you can't get around the fact that it is the closest series currently being played in the SEC. One year doesn't change that.

Yeah the all-time series is tied, but also consider the present and where the two programs are right now. It doesnt look good going forward for UT. I guess it depends on how you define rivalry. To UGA and Bama, they think UT is just an "important game" and not really a rivalry. Like I said, they have other teams they consider more of a rivalry than UT. All this is just my opinion, obviously.

I do understand the present and as I just pointed out, Tennessee has still won two of the last three games. You are making way too much out of last year's game. As lopsided as it was, it's still just one game..

and if your criteria for a series being a rivalry means that it has to be close...than Tennessee vs Kentucky is NOT a rivalry. Tennessee has won 31 out of the last 33 games!

Reactions: 1 person
I have documented in other threads how seriously I take and use the word hate. Given that I hate the Bama and UF football programs. For me and those two programs it's almost as bad as the Bammer that killed Auburn's beloved tree. Note, not individual kids and coaches, I HATE those football programs. UGA is a program that for me does not rise to that level, they've just not been that good against us. But if we keep screwing up while they improve I can see where they could get there, other than the gators, they have the worst fans in the SEC IMO.

Reactions: 4 people
They are also now tied with us for 2nd most SEC Championships I think. UF only has like 6 or 7. And as far as I am concerned Alabama will always be our greatest rivalry. The Third Saturday in October is college football legend.

My step dad is originally from Florence, Alabama. Huge Tide fan. He was very good friends with Cecil Dowdy, one of Bear's all time great OT's. Maybe you need an appreciation for history now, but to him? Tennessee will always be their biggest rival. He still considers Auburn "newish"... LOL. Like I said, you probably have to be old and have an appreciation for history to see it that way.

Last edited:
We live in their heads rent free the way Florida lives in ours, or mine to be more specific. Damn I hate the gators with an irrational passion.

Reactions: 4 people
Oh, he is hardcore into recruiting.
Especially kids out of Georgia.
He referees high school football.
Thinks he knows more about the game than anyone.
Just an insufferable know it all type jerk.

He would not be at my Thanksgiving table

Their trophy case is about the same as ours.

...but that gets back to the arrogance of their fans. They talk as though they are superior to Tennessee (mostly because of their recruiting base) but when you break down the numbers that really matter: head to head and championships ... we're about even. They want to talk about last year or what they assume is going to happen for them in the next few years... When you bring up the fact we've won two of the last three? They change the subject to recruiting like that's the end game rather than the means to an end.

...but that gets back to the arrogance of their fans. They talk as though they are superior to Tennessee (mostly because of their recruiting base) but when you break down the numbers that really matter: head to head and championships ... we're about even. They want to talk about last year or what they assume is going to happen for them in the next few years... When you bring up the fact we've won two of the last three? They change the subject to recruiting like that's the end game rather than the means to an end.
I agree completely, I hate the hell out of them, but they do have some history. I'd still argue we have a little bit of an edge based on the edge in AP national championships 2-1, about 25 more all time wins, etc. but we are pretty close, and they do have us in a couple of areas, like bowl games and Heisman trophy winners. We have a one game lead in the all time series and we are now knotted up in SEC championships at 13, we're pretty close, but we've actually still got a slight edge. I was just saying it's not like they are South Carolina or something.

Last edited:
Fortunately, my only in person contact with this jerk cousin in law only comes at Thanksgiving.
But, he’s been insufferable texting me about football and recruiting ever since last years UGA game in Knoxville.
Just had to share this text that I got from him today.

“Hey man, just wanted to congratulate the Vols for plucking another real SUPERSTAR out of a Georgia high school. Too bad you guys are having to rely on our sloppy seconds.
Go Dawgs! Woof! Woof! Woof!”

I know I’m supposed to hate Bama and Florida the most.
But, my hatred for Georgia may have surpassed the Tide and the Gators. Asswipes.

I feel your pain. I live here, not too far from Athens. They act like they're a dynasty.

“Hey man, just wanted to congratulate the Vols for plucking another real SUPERSTAR out of a Georgia high school. Too bad you guys are having to rely on our sloppy seconds.
Go Dawgs! Woof! Woof! Woof!”

LOL so he thinks Wanya Morris and Remel Keyton are Sloppy Seconds?

Reactions: cbe and butchna
I agree completely, I hate the hell out of them, but they do have some history. I'd still argue we have a little bit of an edge based on an edge in AP national championships 2-1, about 25 more all time wins, etc. but we are pretty close, and they do have us in a couple of areas, like bowl games and Heisman trophy winners. We have a one game lead in the all time series and we are now knotted up in SEC championships at 13, we're pretty close, but we've actually got a slight edge. I was just saying it's not like they are South Carolina or something.

Not at all. Georgia is a very good program. They're just not as good historically as their fans think they are... and they think they are better than us - when the truth is, we are incredibly close under every substantial comparison. Tennessee vs Georgia is the closest series played annually in the SEC right now. That's a fact.

Not at all. Georgia is a very good program. They're just not as good historically as their fans think they are... and they think they are better than us - when the truth is, we are incredibly close under every substantial comparison. Tennessee vs Georgia is the closest series played annually in the SEC right now. That's a fact.
We are in agreement, their fans have the big head now because they had a good year last year and we've been in a down phase for the last 10, it'll cycle back our way.

What makes it worse is that UT isnt really that much of a rival to them. It's UF, Auburn and Tech in some order.

I don't know where you get that, the Tennessee-Georgia rivalry is a great one. You need to check the stats. Sure they won big last year, but that is not normal.

VN Store

Back