2019 TN DT Elijah Simmons Commits to UT

And I answered you. I'm referring to the three star recruits in general. Many on here have asserted that Pruitt has found players who's ranking will go up or can be coached up to play at a higher level than most of the ones we have seen in recent years. Maybe that's true. By "the diamond in rough route" I meant recruiting 3 star players. I'm not going to make a detailed assessment of each recruit and am not qualified to even if I did. It was a general statement.

No value in offer lists? If memory serves, Orlando Brown was a 3 star who got offer by practically everyone...no value? Simmons is weak...no doubt...Jordan Young’s practically nonexistent BEFORE.

No value in offer lists? If memory serves, Orlando Brown was a 3 star who got offer by practically everyone...no value? Simmons is weak...no doubt...Jordan Young’s practically nonexistent BEFORE.

Sure there's value in it. There's value in their star rating as well. I don't remember saying this class was bad. Just that we seem to be recruiting players that the staff feels are flying under the radar (according to the recruiting services) and that hasn't worked out for us before. Hopefully Pruitt is better at evaluating talent and coaching guys up than the last two coaches. As he has generally had better talent at previous jobs, I don't see that as much as sure thing as many on here seem to. Maybe I'm just jaded.

And I answered you. I'm referring to the three star recruits in general. Many on here have asserted that Pruitt has found players who's ranking will go up or can be coached up to play at a higher level than most of the ones we have seen in recent years. Maybe that's true. By "the diamond in rough route" I meant recruiting 3 star players. I'm not going to make a detailed assessment of each recruit and am not qualified to even if I did. It was a general statement.

Those recruiting services are fun to follow but they usually don't mean much until after the incoming classes HS senior year is over. There will be current 5 stars fall to 4 or even 3 stars due to injury or grades or poor performance in their senior year and 3 stars that become 5 stars by the time they graduate. We're talking 16 and 17 year olds - some have stopped growing and developing and some will grow 4" gain 30 lbs and cut their 40 time by .3 seconds. Plus the recruiting services are basing their ratings on who they project to the NFL. Which means if you don't fit the template you won't get a lot of stars. Rivals had Baker Mayfield as a 3 star with offers from Florida Atlantic, Rice and Washington State. Primarily because he was a 6'0" skinny kid that didn't look much like Tom Brady in his uniform. Most likely Mayfield will never be a star in the NFL. Oklahoma doesn't care. Not saying the recruiting services are full of it just saying they're more like weather men than true gurus. CJP knows what he's looking for and I would give him the benefit of the doubt over 247 especially on rising HS seniors.

Those recruiting services are fun to follow but they usually don't mean much until after the incoming classes HS senior year is over. There will be current 5 stars fall to 4 or even 3 stars due to injury or grades or poor performance in their senior year and 3 stars that become 5 stars by the time they graduate. We're talking 16 and 17 year olds - some have stopped growing and developing and some will grow 4" gain 30 lbs and cut their 40 time by .3 seconds. Plus the recruiting services are basing their ratings on who they project to the NFL. Which means if you don't fit the template you won't get a lot of stars. Rivals had Baker Mayfield as a 3 star with offers from Florida Atlantic, Rice and Washington State. Primarily because he was a 6'0" skinny kid that didn't look much like Tom Brady in his uniform. Most likely Mayfield will never be a star in the NFL. Oklahoma doesn't care. Not saying the recruiting services are full of it just saying they're more like weather men than true gurus. CJP knows what he's looking for and I would give him the benefit of the doubt over 247 especially on rising HS seniors.

I hope you're correct, and you may very well be. But, all these same arguments were made for Butch and Dooley's recruits. I was often one of the people making them. If this years team suprises, I'm sure I'll feel differently. I'm just not ready to go all in at this point. I've been burned to many times.

Reactions: 1 person

I hear what you're saying, but I feel that too often we tell ourselves this to rationalize having a lower ranked class compared to much of the rest of the SEC. Plus you know very well there is a strong correlation with teams who win championships and the highly ranked recruiting classes they pull in. We can say rankings dont matter but yeah, they kind of do. Yes there are outliers here and there (Mizzou) but it's certainly not the rule. To truly be in the hunt for the SEC East every year and play in Atlanta, we have got to consistently finish in the top 5 in recruiting.

Last edited:
Facts! Well said VFL83!

Just because some of us choose to keep it real regarding these recruits doesn't mean were not going to support them once they step on campus. Like I said before, I hope like hell they all develop into All Americans. However anyone who looks at this kid's offer list and doesn't at least scratch their heads a little is just letting blind optimism cloud their reasoning, which is fine! You have that right. Just dont be disrespectful to us fans who'd rather take a more skeptical approach due to the data we have in front of us, i.e. ranking and offer list.

Look, it is what it is at this point. We are the cellar dwellers of the SEC right now and attracting the top blue chip talent is going to be a huge challenge. So it stands to reason that our staff is going to have to take some chances and hope to find some under the radar kids the staff can polish. I get that. It's been done by other programs before with great success. TCU does it. Boise State does it. Wisconsin does it. Stanford does it. Michigan State does it. However none of those teams have to play Georgia, Florida, and Alabama every single year.

Regarding Elija Simmons, I am curious when I look at a kid like this and wonder just how high he really was on our board and did we accept his commitment only because others said thanks but no thanks.

I think the coaches see real potential and are very content to secure a handful of commits they don't feel will be a threat to flip at the last minute. If you have an instate guy with big potential, you have to give him a chance.

Lulz

Really? Look through the RF over the past decade.

No.. I'm asking you based off your comment.. I keep up with recruiting.. I've seen as many 5 star busts as your "diamond in the rough".. You specifically made that comment.. So I wanted to know what "diamond in the rough" players are you referring to.. This '19 class is shaping up very nice imo.. You have concerns about certain players based off your comment.. I asked a very simple question and was expecting a simple answer.. Lulz

Reactions: 2 people
I hear what you're saying, but I feel that too often we tell ourselves this to rationalize having a lower ranked class compared to much of the rest of the SEC. Plus you know very well there is a strong correlation with teams who win championships and the highly ranked recruiting classes they pull in. Yes there are outliers here and there (Mizzou) but it's certainly not the rule. To truly be in the hunt for the SEC East every year and play in Atlanta, we have got to consistently finish in the top 5 in recruiting.

This kids we have committed to us and the ones that we are in on are getting regular bumps . Example : Our committed WR (Ramel Keyton ) just got his bump he moved up 66 spots , he’s now 104 overall and I believe the number 17 Wr for 2019

This kids we have committed to us and the ones that we are in on are getting regular bumps . Example : Our committed WR (Ramel Keyton ) just got his bump he moved up 66 spots , he’s now 104 overall and I believe the number 17 Wr for 2019

Yep and Mauer is gonna get a huge bump soon after the elite 11. Simmons right now is our lowest ranked recruit. I don’t know why everyone is flipping out.

Yep and Mauer is gonna get a huge bump soon after the elite 11. Simmons right now is our lowest ranked recruit. I don’t know why everyone is flipping out.

I'm not flipping out. I'm just having a conversation. And that's awesome news about Mauer!

I'm not flipping out. I'm just having a conversation. And that's awesome news about Mauer!

I’m applying that comment towards the people who are saying we can’t land top talent because we have Simmons committing as a 3 star prospect. Our class right now is by no means subpar.

The thing that stands out right now to me that’s different about this staff is that these recruits are being asked to come camp in front of the coaches to earn a spot so when CJP offers a kid it’s because that’s the one he wants on his team . Maybe the kid is outworking some others , maybe he is showing the coaches a higher drive with a bigger motor or it could be as simple as he just fits the mold of what CJP wants in a NT. I hope the latter plays a huge part in it because CJP strikes me as an old school , hit you right in your mouth and take your candy away from you FB coach . Tennessee use to be feared for having a defense like that and I for one can’t wait to see it back again.

Reactions: 3 people
I’m applying that comment towards the people who are saying we can’t land top talent because we have Simmons committing as a 3 star prospect. Our class right now is by no means subpar.

Its 8th in the SEC. I wouldn't use the word subpar but we need to do better than 8th. Hopefully we leapfrog some teams after it's all said and done.

Last edited:

I think Maurer wont get a bumb until he plays this year. I remember someone saying that rankings guys want to see what he can do on the field this year. I could be wrong about that though.

Oh and there is a difference between having different opinions flipping out.

Been waiting for someone to bring up Jordan Young’s name this whole thread, yes, I know I should have earlier.

No, but it doesn't make sense stating that comment and then going into your rant. It actually is a counter to your own arguement.

It's possible to sign a good player and have a class not as good as the top half of the SEC. Hardly a rant to say facts

Its 8th in the SEC. I would use the word subpar but we need to do better than 8th. Hopefully we leapfrog some teams after it's all said and done.

247 shows us at 9th

2019 SEC Football Team Rankings

Our average has dropped some as well. Yes that is very subpar. Thats Butch Jones like. But it is only July. I do believe the class will get better.

Kmac was a beast before he got here. Something was done between the ears of that kid to undo what he was capable of.

I think it was when he sat out his SR in HS. I think he got lazy and then couple that with Butch and a terrible S&C program and you have KMac.

Its 8th in the SEC. I wouldn't use the word subpar but we need to do better than 8th. Hopefully we leapfrog some teams after it's all said and done.

And atleast the 4 sec teams above us in the team rankings have 3 or more recruits to there class...we have plenty of time. They want to see what Pruitt can do

And atleast the 4 sec teams above us in the team rankings have 3 or more recruits to there class...we have plenty of time. They want to see what Pruitt can do

Exactly. And on Rivals, of the SEC teams above us at this time ... only 2 have a higher average # of stars, putting us at 3rd, not 8th.

It's a long way to February, 2019. :zeitung_lesen:

VN Store

Back