Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

I'm sorry, but I call BS. If it isn't safe to walk, then it isn't safe to drive, either.

And I haven't seen a single place (even in Davidson County) that isn't safe to at least walk.

I can’t speak for Davidson County. I drive past the public middle school on Bearss Avenue in Hillsborough County, Tampa Fl. Traffic runs between 30-60 mph at all times and Is extremely heavy. Drivers in Fl are horrific. I would not let my middle school daughter walk in that environment. The neighborhood isn’t the greatest but that isn’t my main concern. It’s easy to bash parents and say we are coddling our kids but walking to school just isn’t possible for lots of kids.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sorry, but I call BS. If it isn't safe to walk, then it isn't safe to drive, either.

And I haven't seen a single place (even in Davidson County) that isn't safe to at least walk.

Can’t speak for Davidson County(🤣) nor Tampa. But DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Philly and even Norfolk, Va have plenty of places I’ll drive through but wouldn’t walk through for $25,000

Can’t speak for Davidson County(🤣) nor Tampa. But DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Philly and even Norfolk, Va have plenty of places I’ll drive through but wouldn’t walk through for $25,000

He's talking about traffic fears and looks like you are talking about demographic fears of walking home (bad neighborhoods). Two different things.

Folks, I live an a neighborhood where people pay half a million for a house so they can knock it down and build a seven figure home, or a least a couple of high six figure ones. It's a very walkable area, and improving in that regard by the day with some new sidewalks. It's not about a bad neighborhood, or walkability. This is a larger trend that I've observed for a decade or longer whereby just about every school parking lot is jam-assed full with SUVs and minivans a good half hour before school lets out and busses, that all of our taxes help pay for roll around mostly empty. I don't know if people are afraid of what their kids might be exposed to on a bus with other kids, or what?

Folks, I live an a neighborhood where people pay half a million for a house so they can knock it down and build a seven figure home, or a least a couple of high six figure ones. It's a very walkable area, and improving in that regard by the day with some new sidewalks. It's not about a bad neighborhood, or walkability. This is a larger trend that I've observed for a decade or longer whereby just about every school parking lot is jam-assed full with SUVs and minivans a good half hour before school lets out and busses, that all of our taxes help pay for roll around mostly empty. I don't know if people are afraid of what their kids might be exposed to on a bus with other kids, or what?

When I was a kid, the worst thing on my school bus was this obnoxious loudmouth kid that just annoyed the crap out of everybody, thinking he was all funny as hell. I'm not as loud anymore though.

Reactions: 2 people
So work less and get paid more? Sounds like a great idea. Haha

Yes. Value the employees. Plus it opens up more jobs to others if the hours per week is dropped. Everyone gets a slice of pie. Corporations going cheap and making people work crazy hours instead of hiring new people. Plus these people feel like they have to work those crazy hours because they’re not getting paid enough to begin with. It’s quite simple. Pay the people more, and stop letting people at top simply hog it all. It’ll open more jobs and make everything better. I’m not saying people at top shouldn’t make more, because hopefully they’re at top through hard work and dedication (if so they’ve earned that right) but plenty of people at top are there through corrupt means. It won’t kill them to make a little less to share with others. Therefore people won’t have to work as much, and it also opens up new jobs with available hours for people. And people will actually get to live and enjoy life without feeling like they live at work. That’s no way to live in a “free country”

Yes. Value the employees. Plus it opens up more jobs to others if the hours per week is dropped. Everyone gets a slice of pie. Corporations going cheap and making people work crazy hours instead of hiring new people. Plus these people feel like they have to work those crazy hours because they’re not getting paid enough to begin with. It’s quite simple. Pay the people more, and stop letting people at top simply hog it all. It’ll open more jobs and make everything better. I’m not saying people at top shouldn’t make more, because hopefully they’re at top through hard work and dedication (if so they’ve earned that right) but plenty of people at top are there through corrupt means. It won’t kill them to make a little less to share with others. Therefore people won’t have to work as much, and it also opens up new jobs with available hours for people. And people will actually get to live and enjoy life without feeling like they live at work. That’s no way to live in a “free country”

If the people I work for came to me and asked if I'd take a little less so they could give more to folks at entry level, I'd ask them why didn't we have this conversation when I was at the bottom, and then tell them they'd better give me a raise or or I'll leave.

Bless it.......

What is the deal with parents driving their kids to school? When I was a kid, we all rode the bus unail we were old enough to drive ourselves. I live less than half a mile from a public middle school in Davidson County and I have watched some of my neighbors drive over to the school, wait half an hour in a long line of cars, and then drive back home with the kids. All that when the bus drives right past their home.

Look up to see if Davidson County has a "half mile" rule when it come to buses. If you live within a half mile of the school the buses won't pick your kid up

Look up to see if Davidson County has a "half mile" rule when it come to buses. If you live within a half mile of the school the buses won't pick your kid up
They don't. Like I posted,the busses run right by these people's houses and will stop. I just think this is another manifestation of helicopter parenting. It's no wonder that so many of these kids are socially awkward and cannot receive criticism without taking it as a personal attack.

If the people I work for came to me and asked if I'd take a little less so they could give more to folks at entry level, I'd ask them why didn't we have this conversation when I was at the bottom, and then tell them they'd better give me a raise or or I'll leave.

You may miss the boat of bigger things down the road.

This CEO Took A Pay Cut To Give Employees $70,000 A Year. Now He’s Battling Amazon. | HuffPost

I remember when this story first broke and some of the big business know it alls on this board swore the company would go broke in 1-2 years.

Now the Average salary is more than his “outlandish” 70k offering and they have 80% more customers. The employees are becoming home owners and feel stable enough to start families at a higher rate.

Not only that but other companies are starting to follow his lead.

You may miss the boat of bigger things down the road.

This CEO Took A Pay Cut To Give Employees $70,000 A Year. Now He’s Battling Amazon. | HuffPost

I remember when this story first broke and some of the big business know it alls on this board swore the company would go broke in 1-2 years.

Now the Average salary is more than his “outlandish” 70k offering and they have 80% more customers. The employees are becoming home owners and feel stable enough to start families at a higher rate.

Not only that but other companies are starting to follow his lead.
I'm not the CEO. I've had to piss people off to the point of risking a firing to get some the raises I've received. I'm not inclined to give up anything. Believe me, I've earned everything I get and I'm worth more than they pay me.

Didn’t Green Hills have problems with crews robbing/shooting people? My sister’s neighbors got robbed in their own driveway, and they don’t live in a cheap neighborhood. I don’t know if I’d be walking around there either.

There have been a few, mostly at business parking lots. I carry and practice. Still, someone could get the drop on me although I'm more concerned about it happening downtown than I am in my neighborhood.

Neo will tell you for the 500th time about how he went from being a bouncer at a strip joint to now under-employing tens of people at his insurance call center.

I had to walk ten miles both ways in the snow too.

It was 128 employees by the way and it was sold a while back.

Got tired of managing large numbers of people. Very, very tired.

I wish people would understand the difference between Millennial and Gen Z

Gen Z = the generation after Millennials? What does the "Z" even mean?

There are two different types of Millennials; the ones that are digital natives and the ones who are not. Is that what you're referring to?

I was a kid when it came around, but I had to learn how to use the internet and a smartphone. A lot of Millennials did, especially the ones born in the early 80s.

Anybody born after about 1995 has grown up with them and hasn't really had to learn how to use either. There's a big difference generationally between those two groups of people.

Last edited:
Gen Z = the generation after Millennials? What does the "Z" even mean?

There are two different types of Millennials; the ones that are digital natives and the ones who are not. Is that what you're referring to?

I was a kid when it came around, but I had to learn how to use the internet and a smartphone. A lot of Millennials did, especially the ones born in the early 80s.

Anybody born after about 1995 has grown up with them and hasn't really had to learn how to use either. There's a big difference generationally between those two groups of people.

The negative connotation of Millennial is just a generic why to describe annoying things young people are doing.

Reactions: 2 people
The negative connotation of Millennial is just a generic why to describe annoying things young people are doing.

The annoying things Millennials do are started, in large part, by the digital native crowd (1995 and later). The annoying slang, speech patterns, etc. come from them. The genesis of a lot of it isn't even with Millennials; it's Valley Girl talk from the 1980s.

Older Millennials and the rest of society then pick up on it. That's how you end up with some 35-year-old men saying "like" every other word and uptalk.

40 hours a week is nothing. Hopefully we avoid a tipping point where enough people decide working 40 hours per week is too much and everything collapses. If that ever happens the free thinkers will learn what real work is all about.

I’m thrilled when I only have to work 40 hours per week. I get 70+ hours a lot of times. It is what it is. I’m 24, btw.

VN Store

Back