So if you could fire Holly, who would take her place?

Fulmer knows the people in the Football Community. He has NO idea really about Women's Basketball. If he were smart, he would call a meeting...... Lawson, Parker and others who have not Coached. Brain storm, who would they hire. Not who looks hot, who is hot. These women eat, sleep and drink Womens Basketball. They could assist in putting this mess back in the bottle.
They know what is needed. Much more so than Fulmer.
His comments about Hollys good job shows that. :hi:

In the last few games I thought the gameplan was fine. I still have a problem with Holly not being demanding enough of the players doing what is needed in games. 10 turnovers by the point guards should not be allowed. After two bad turnovers they are on the bench even if I have to play Russell there. Those possessions can't be recovered and will cost you the game. I know four or five turnovers by the point guards will probably happen but more than that you have to stop it even if they don't play.

Maybe no one can run this one trick pony offense. Everyone who tries turns the ball over. We are too easy to prepare for IMO.

In no particular order: Scott Rueck-Oregon State coach
Kelly Graves- Oregon Coach
Wes Moore- NC State Coach
Sue Semrau- FSU coach, they were terrible before she ever got there

Of course could go big with a Mulkey, Waltz, Friese if they wanted too and i think they would also listen. Right now there is still time to keep the Lady Vol name on top and in national picture, after another year and early put out of NCAA tourney it will start to turn into the La Tech Old Dominion from back in the day.

"Win or go-home" basketball mentality,,,,year round.

Geno IS the AAU mentality...

Scoring margin counts...Every loss counts...Practices count...In AAU, you "Win or you go home"...These girls could use some of that atmosphere.

You get a quality AAU coach in the mix and things will liven up.

One thing I know for certain - Auriemma considers the AAU system and AAU coaches to be primarily responsible for the low basketball IQ of D1 incoming freshmen. He believes that in general AAU coaches do not teach defense or basketball fundamentals. Instead it's all about the game and they cater to the parents (that's the AAU rice bowl) and the "me, me ,me" attitude of the top players.

Reactions: 3 people
One thing I know for certain - Auriemma considers the AAU system and AAU coaches to be primarily responsible for the low basketball IQ of D1 incoming freshmen. He believes that in general AAU coaches do not teach defense or basketball fundamentals. Instead it's all about the game and they cater to the parents (that's the AAU rice bowl) and the "me, me ,me" attitude of the top players.

I know many who share his sentiments.

I really don't care who is hired..........butt whoever it is, I would him/her to say this at the introduction presser....I will call UConn today and attempt to reinstate our Home and Home starting immediately.

No building crap. No turnaround......blah blah.

We know what we need to get to and the best way to get there is take it on.
I don't care if you lose by 50.....new Coach needs to set the bit and go after it. :hi:

Louisville or Baylor Both can coach Or one of the men's assistant coaches

Why would Mulkey or Walz leave successful, elite teams
to coach a struggling program?

Mulkey was reported to be making $1.85 million in 2014 and Kentucky native Walz's salary is $775K

Reactions: 3 people
Why would Mulkey or Walz leave successful, elite teams
to coach a struggling program?

Mulkey was reported to be making $1.85 million in 2014 and Kentucky native Walz's salary is $775K

Let me preface this by saying I don't want Mulkey. She had 3 years with BOTH Brittney Griner and Odyssey Sims AND 2 more years with JUST Brittney Griner and JUST Odyssey Sims and in that 5 year span managed ONE National Title. No thanks.

Having said that, the reason a smart coach would leave a program like Notre Dame or Baylor or Louisville or pretty much anywhere except UCONN in favor of coaching at Tennessee is because, to this point in time, we attract, on average, the best players.

Tennessee attracts the best players IMO for 3 main reasons:

- Tradition. It means more to play for Tennessee than other programs and many players target playing at Tennessee for that reason.

- Coaching talent. Despite Holly being an awful X's and O's coach, whatever she or her staff have done on the recruiting trail has been reasonably consistent and excellent over the years. We almost always get a lot of great players that other programs would be lucky to get. That doesn't happen by accident. It takes talent to recruit. Tennessee has had it.

- Geography. Tennessee is fortunate to be in an area where we BOTH have talented players around us AND we generally have less competition. Usually the BEST players in Tennessee and Georgia look at Tennessee first before other programs. Look at the state of Texas: Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M are all good programs that all compete for the Texas players.

If Muffet McGraw had the talent that Tennessee has had the last 9 years, she'd probably have 3 National Titles. Instead, she's had FOUR runner ups.

All the coaches want National Titles. Plus, more money naturally comes with more titles.

Last edited:
So this is the equivalent of the Gruden thread in the FF?

If we could get the best coach possible, that would be ideal, but I think many people like myself would settle for just ANYONE else as the head coach at this point.

We can't get better until we get a new coach.

Yet, he coaches like an AAU coach...Point differential matters, win or go home-mentality, etc.

I put comments like those with "One game at a time" "just have fun out there today"...blah blah..it's coach speak.

how many of his players never played AAU?
Uh huh.

+++++++++

Top coaches in the AAU make talent come to them.

I coached a team in Morristown. I had girls from Bristol, Science Hill, Halls coming to Morristown. 6 of my 9 players played college ball. Some drove for over an hour away to practice!. Same was true when I coached for the Pistols. I didn't need to recruit. I didn't need to pucker up to parents.

Before I even hit the floor I told my team-parents:

"You cannot affect how much I play your child, but you can affect how much I don't"

After my first practice...To the players:

If this isn't for you, let me help you find an org that is. I got no problem with that...I will simply build another player to be a better version of what you are to this team"

I am the Alpha on the court,,,not them!

Last edited:
Yet, he coaches like an AAU coach...Point differential matters, win or go home-mentality, etc.

I put comments like those with "One game at a time" "just have fun out there today"...blah blah..it's coach speak.

Uh huh.

+++++++++

I coached a team in Morristown. I had girls from Bristol, Science Hill, Halls coming to Morristown. 6 of my 9 players played college ball. Some drove for over an hour away to practice!. Same was true when I coached for the Pistols. I didn't need to recruit. I didn't need to pucker up to parents.

"You cannot affect how much I play your child, but you can affect how much I don't"

If this isn't for you, let me help you find an org that is. I got no problem with that...I will simply build another player to be a better version of what you are to this team"

What team in Morristown?

Reactions: 1 person
Dawn Staley, give her what ever it takes, watch the return to glory afterwards.

Uh huh.

+++++++++

To say that he coaches like an AAU coach is a huge insult to the best coach in WCBB. IMO (and probably Auriemma's) is that most AAU coaches are just guys that couldn't get a job coaching HS basketball. They are not even in the same bball galaxy as top D1 coaches.
You are also 100% wrong about how Auriemma coaches. That may be your impression - but it's wrong. I've been watching and listening to him for 25 years. He teaches how to play the game. Not "point differential and win or go home."
You really need to listen to what Auriemma has to say about AAU. Yeah, he has AAU players and he constantly complains about how poorly prepared (by AAU coaches) they are to play at the D1 level.

Reactions: 7 people
So this is the equivalent of the Gruden thread in the FF?

Not really. At least the football job was open and we had specific targets in mind. Some were realistic and some weren't.

If the job was to come open, I would be interested in first knowing how wide the scope of the search would be. Does Tennessee's women's basketball coach have to be a woman? Does it have to be someone with Tennessee ties? And most importantly what would our budget be?

Couldn't have said it better. Look at her accomplishments at Missouri St. AD Fuller can start and stop his search by bringing Kellie and Jon to the Rockytop. Her resume speaks for its self.

She was fired by NC State. Whenever we do finally replace Holly Warlick, I think it would be a mistake to limit our coaching search to women and to someone with ties to Tennessee.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back