So if you could fire Holly, who would take her place?

According to whom? Holly's camp whenever her job is threatened? You do realize no athletic program has been under a bigger microscope the last few years than Louisville right? All the more reason I suspect Walz would leave if the right opportunity presented itself....

What makes you think he'd fare any better? He's had his fair share of talent over the years and he's won 1 conference title ever (this year).

He's been to one final 4 thanks to miraculous 3 point shooting from two driven seniors to beat a stacked Baylor team. They then lost by 33 to a stacked UCONN team. Beyond that he has one elite 8 appearance where he lost to Brenda Frese and Maryland.

Also worth mentioning that he's had several top players transfer, including Mariya Moore and Taja Cole.

Brenda is a coach I'd like to have, she's tough and very savy at making in game adjustments. Walz is too emotional for my taste, he sinks with the ship when things fall apart, also pulls antics like he did with MM after their game the other day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I pretty clearly said I don't think he will be, nor any other high profile coach....

I have no idea how much UTAD is willing to spend to replace a coach that hasn't been terminated. IDT anybody knows how this is going to play out. Rick Barnes was a high-profile hire and look what he's accomplished. Who's to say Fulmer won't look to replicate that type of hire on the women's side, if he decides to make a change?

What about Gail Goestenkorst? She did a great job at Duke and produced a number of solid WNBA prospects. Have you listened to her commentary while announcing games? She not only knows what she is talking about, she seems to relate to the players, too.

She has coached in the WNBA and knows what it takes to advance to the next level. She would help develop the Tennessee players skill set, hopefully correcting the missed chippies and bad basketball IQ our players have displayed time and again over the past six seasons.

I believe she and her staff would prepare incoming Lady Vols for a professional future. Right now I don't think there are any Holly-recruited players on an WNBA roster. Is there? That's no coincidence, people.

She respects Pat's legacy and the Lady Vol tradition. She knows what it means to the fans, and I think she would honor it. I've read she left Duke due to lack of appreciation and support. At Tennessee she would have that.

She was an assistant coach on two gold medal Olympic teams. She was an assistant under Linn Dunn at Purdue, a coaching friend of Pat's. She has a career winning percentage of seventy-six percent.

Really enjoy when Gail calls games as well, her analysis is generally spot on and she sees the game happening in slow motion like a good coach should.

She also doesn't spend the majority of the broadcast talking about players on other teams rather than the game at hand like some of the other announcers.

I don't think her heart is in coaching anymore though, she had a rough time at Texas and never got them going again.

I think she would be fantastic in a fantasy world.

What makes you think he'd fare any better? He's had his fair share of talent over the years and he's won 1 conference title ever (this year).

He's been to one final 4 thanks to miraculous 3 point shooting from two driven seniors to beat a stacked Baylor team. They then lost by 33 to a stacked UCONN team. Beyond that he has one elite 8 appearance where he lost to Brenda Frese and Maryland.

Also worth mentioning that he's had several top players transfer, including Mariya Moore and Taja Cole.

Brenda is a coach I'd like to have, she's tough and very savy at making in game adjustments. Walz is too emotional for my taste, he sinks with the ship when things fall apart, also pulls antics like he did with MM after their game the other day.

He's actually been to two Final Fours (runner up twice). Don't forget about Angel McCoughtry who was not highly ranked or recruited at all. It took him quite a while before he got any high profile recruits, and really they haven't received a ton of highly ranked players compared to the other top programs. He tends to get the most of his players who don't come in with all of the accolades and is a great talent scout.

Also, don't forget he was the mastermind behind Maryland's national championship when he was the top assistant and directed the defense. Maryland has played zero defense since he left.

He's actually been to two Final Fours (runner up twice). Don't forget about Angel McCoughtry who was not highly ranked or recruited at all. It took him quite a while before he got any high profile recruits, and really they haven't received a ton of highly ranked players compared to the other top programs. He tends to get the most of his players who don't come in with all of the accolades and is a great talent scout.

Also, don't forget he was the mastermind behind Maryland's national championship when he was the top assistant and directed the defense. Maryland has played zero defense since he left.

Jeff and Vic Schaefer both were instrumental in winning NCs at Maryland and Texas A&M, respectively. The UT AD should follow this pattern and hire, as head coach, a top assistant that has contributed to his/her team's success. Holly did not fit this pattern. That is why she has failed to be a good head coach.

I have no idea how much UTAD is willing to spend to replace a coach that hasn't been terminated. IDT anybody knows how this is going to play out. Rick Barnes was a high-profile hire and look what he's accomplished. Who's to say Fulmer won't look to replicate that type of hire on the women's side, if he decides to make a change?

Guess that depends on how you define a high profile hire and what coaches in WBB you would consider comparable to Barnes....

High profile coach is not going to happen because admin will not pay much more than Holly makes.

Based on posts in this forum, appears to be a no-brainer. Who could argue about the AAU version of Geno.

"Win or go-home" basketball mentality,,,,year round.

Geno IS the AAU mentality...

Scoring margin counts...Every loss counts...Practices count...In AAU, you "Win or you go home"...These girls could use some of that atmosphere.

You get a quality AAU coach in the mix and things will liven up.

Reactions: 1 person

Brenda Friese is an absolute no go for the powers at be. They are still salty about her trying to steal Candace Parker away.

We should hire GARY BLAIR, the Texas A & M coach. His team, with the undersized players, beat Brittney Yevette Griner's powerful Baylor.

In the last few games I thought the gameplan was fine. I still have a problem with Holly not being demanding enough of the players doing what is needed in games. 10 turnovers by the point guards should not be allowed. After two bad turnovers they are on the bench even if I have to play Russell there. Those possessions can't be recovered and will cost you the game. I know four or five turnovers by the point guards will probably happen but more than that you have to stop it even if they don't play.

Haven’t read through all of these posts but thought I’d throw out the name Kim Barnes-Arico. She’s done a great job at Michigan, and watching the game today I was impressed with her team in the first half. Players do a great job of executing step through moves, the offense looked fluid and overall they really competed with Baylor in the first half. Their post player Thome has outstanding footwork and knows how to create space and seal her defender well. Put Kim at Tennessee with a bigger budget where she can recruit better athletes and I think she could do a great job developing players. She also did a good job at St. John’s and has proven results from 15+ years of coaching at D1.

His salary and buyout is about half of Staley’s and he has a winning record against Holly, Staley doesn’t. It also appears that Staley isn’t that great of a coach without A’ja Wilson.

With the problems that Lousville’s AD is having, there’s a window of opportunity...

Walz is would be great, but I don't see much incentive for him to come to Tennessee. Louisville has already surpassed Tennessee in terms of program relevance, fan attendance is not far off from the Lady Vols, he's finally starting to recruit top 10 kids, and he basically built that program from the ground up. He's creating a nice power program at Louisville and seems highly regarded, so I can't imagine why he'd want to pass that up? It's the same situation as Dawn Staley.

VN Store

Back