UT close to deal with Jeff Brohm

I would not be surprised if Brohm turns out to be as good or better than all those guys. He will compete with them and win our share, I think. He is an acceptable hire, imho. If the suits close the deal, I'll welcome Coach Brohm to Tennessee.

While I think there is room for him to compete, I dont see him being better than Mullen with Florida's ability to pull talent, Smart and the Georgia beast he's building, and Muschamp, who is building a solid team right now.

All three of those guys can recruit nationally at their jobs. I guarantee you that with Brohm, there is going to be the 2-3 year "wait period" like we gave Butch. Butch and company always said 2016 was going to be the year after he was hired in 2012. I think that same kind of sentiment is going to be the case with Brohm. Wait 2-3 years until we go toe to toe with everyone.

Why would you have had to look him up. He was with us from like 1980 - 2008 as either position coach all the way to HC.

776.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Defense wins titles in the SEC.

In case we've missed class the last fee weeks, something has recently "clicked" for Steele. He is now the best DC out there.

If I'm wrong, we'll see it this weekend.

Purdue ranked 19th in the country in PPG allowed.
We finished 84th.

I'm not saying that will equate to SEC talent, but who would you have taken to beat Purdue from the SEC East now that you have this year as evidence?

Georgia? South Carolina maybe?

I think Purdue would've beaten everyone else in the division. Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vandy, and they DID beat Missouri.

Not impressed. 3 yrs at WKU and last 2 went well. 1st year at a Big Boy school and he is .500% with someone else's talent. Looks like a Dooley 2.0 to me! We deserve better...

Only 1 year experience at a P5 program. His 6-6 record does remind me of Dooley. WKU record is good but not the SEC. Kiffin was a much better choice. At least we finally got a coach. It’s been a cluster ****!

In case we've missed class the last fee weeks, something has recently "clicked" for Steele. He is now the best DC out there.

Most LSU fans were glad he left, he didn't do a horrible job but there are better ones out there. imo He has done well at Auburn, but they have a ton of experience as well.

Only 1 year experience at a P5 program. His 6-6 record does remind me of Dooley. WKU record is good but not the SEC. Kiffin was a much better choice. At least we finally got a coach. It’s been a cluster ****!

Easy killer..... this is nowhere close to being done

we're an easy target right now.

not sure where or how hyams is getting his info, you'd have to think it's at least someone he trusts.

purdue obviously wants to keep him.

if you thought we were overpaying for gundy....i can only imagine what we'll offer brohm at this point.

so we'll see. the information out there is so sketchy, i wouldn't get my hopes up until i saw someone standing at a press conference.

if this falls thru though, there's zero chance i go anywhere else except to Les Miles, if he's still interested at all at this point.

Whoever we hire we are going to overpay, there's no avoiding that at this point. So yeah a young up and comer coach who wants to cash in and maybe do something at a place like UT would be eagerly waiting by the phone.

His 6-6 record has literally nothing in common with Dooley's record. He took a moribund 3-9 Purdue program and instantly improved them by 3 wins and took them to a bowl.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed, everyone seems to think we need a big sexy hire but the prospect of that happening was blown to hell by the whole Schiano debacle. Brohm would be an excellent place to land after all of this.

a hire with any of the following adjectives is an utter impossibility at this point:
home run
sexy
big name
grand slam
splash

I agree he's probably close to the best we can do right now, but he is in no way a "home run".

A home run is a home run no matter the state of the program. If he wasn't a home run a week ago, he's not a home run today. The definition doesn't change just because our expectations are lowered.

Kiffin would have been a home run
Gundy would have been a home run
Petersen would have been a home run

Brohm is not a home run

I guess you didn’t see the words “right now” after home run. Gundy or Petersen would have been great. Kiffin is in no way a home run, especially due to the fact that many of our fans would protest bringing him back. Our current situation, which is grim, has clouded people’s judgement into thinking Kiffin is the equivalent of a Saban. Brohm is highly regarded by the people and players he has been involved with. He took a Purdue team that won 6-7 games in 3-4 years to being a bowl eligible team in 1 season. If that doesn’t impress you, then you don’t have a very tight grasp on CF

Reactions: 1 person
At what point do we realize smokescreen's would require a level of planning, execution and competence no one in the Administration possesses?

I think he’ll take the job. That said, if he wants to be at Louisville, it probably won’t be more than a year or so before it’s open, if that.

yeah, that'd be my main concern with Brohm. other than that, it's as solid as solid can get for us at this point.

VN Store

Back