Official Jon Gruden Thread 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably thought nobody would hear it in these parts. The podcast isn't available yet, but I would love to hear the context in which he said it.

It doesn't bode well if you ask me, though. If he has already signed a contract and they are trying to keep a lid on it, why joke about it?

In all likelihood, Gruden hasn't signed anything and before I get a flurry of "GTFO", I'm just saying it's not in stone yet.

Logic dictates that one of the first people Gruden or his agent contacts afterwards is his former employer, ESPN. And if so, after Gruden announces his intentions, there's absolutely zero reasons for a sports media outlet such as they are to sit on that information longer than it takes to tweet it out there. That will probably happen much sooner than it takes to trickle down the Knoxville media food chain.

My thoughts are this:

When Gruden knows, ESPN will know, and thus, we'll know.

Unless someone has a credible theory as to why a sports media outlet would hold back a breaking story of this would-be calliber? Well, outside of "ESPN hates us" and other such drivel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
if this deal is done, or is as close to being done as has been reported/rumored, then as soon as ink is dry, you're announcing a press conf...asap.

the only reason you wouldn't is if Gruden requested it to be put off to not distract from the interim coaches and the team, and he wants it announced after the season.

which could be true....but really, you announce it as soon as you have something to announce.

I'm not sure I agree with that because it depends on how you want to present the announcement and there may be a number of ways of going about it. Ultimately you want a hire like this to make this biggest impact it can so you announce it at a time and place that generates the biggest buzz. ESPN may want the exclusive to announce the hire, might even have it done during MNF(very unlikely but possible), but if the hire happens I'd say it's probable that ESPN breaks the story first which would immediately get a lot of eyes on the program.

Personally I think the better way to go about it is to announce it early next week, Tuesday or Wednesday, so that the hire dominates the story lines over the weekend when a whole bunch of 16-18 year old kids will be watching football.

Reactions: 2 people
Guys. That radio spot got me all
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The 28th would mean 12 more 24 hour news cycles. Hard to imagine, but if so, we're in for some very interesting days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back