Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't be a violation even if he hasn't signed.

It depends on the context. If someone cares to prove it wrong, chime in, but I find it very unlikely that a coach not employed by a university can actively work (e.g. recruit or present ones self as an employee of the university when in fact they aren't) on behalf of said university. At best, it violates customary ethics and business practices, at worst, it violates NCAA rules and regulations.

Just playing devil's advocate here...

What would it take for you to want to fire Gruden once he's here? If he doesn't make an immediate impact, will we give him more time than we gave Butch/Dooley? What if we get to year 5 of Gruden and still haven't won the East?

I know this is unlikely, but you have to at least acknowledge the possibility since no coach is "perfect".

Huge difference between leaving UT for USC which has location, recruiting, and recent success vs UT to NEB which is a s**thole. If we get Frost he only leaves if we fire him or he goes to the NFL.

I don't think Frost wants to go to Nebraska, as difficult as that is to fathom. My brother brought up and excellent point which is, Nebraska simply doesn't have access to the kind of talent pools it did when Frost was a player and more over, Frost knows it. With the move to the Big 10, Nebraska has essentially given up any stake it had in talent from the southwest since they no longer play football games in that region. Not every legacy has to go home, Peyton could have gone to Ole Miss and no one would have thought less of him for it, but he chose to do something else, I think Frost wants to do something else. That being said... Soon.

Dilly, dilly! Gruden be with you.

Reactions: 1 person
That appears to be smokey grey smoke. Is it from the AD'S office?

sooooon.png

Reactions: 4 people
I’ve said this before but the danger of this place, like a huge megaphone, is that we often create the story. Something is said here, repeated elsewhere, repeated another place, and then comes back here as “verified by multiple sources.”

I don’t ever look into those text messages, easily be faked with BS names and random stuff.

The image said that Gruden has already reached out to Cade Mayes. Doesn't Gruden have to clear something with the NCAA before he can reach out to recruits?

You would think, there has to be some violation there but idk. I don’t put too much truth into messages like those.

If he is not an employee of the athletic program and the NCAA deems him to be a "representative of the institution’s athletic interests,” then he is a booster. Boosters may not be involved in the recruiting process.

Role of Boosters | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

Don't think Jon Gruden falls under the NCAA's definition of what a booster is. Also, I don't think they would make that contact like that if it were against NCAA rules. I say this without putting any stock into Mays being contacted.

This could be the very reason he says no. Expectations are already sky high. There really isn't a way for him to meet fan expectations except win 100 games in a row or something. And then if we lost to UF right afterward fans would be screaming for his head.

I did consider that, almost typed it out...maybe we are putting him so high on the pedestal that he can't help but disappoint us. I think that is only true for a minority of fans though.

I don't expect to be playing for the SEC Championship in year 1. I also don't think the cupboard is nearly so stocked by Butch as some imagine it. We have talent, but we have serious issues also.

From my perspective, Gruden is to bring hope to UT, and on that, he can deliver day one. The potential will be there, excitement, staffing, recruiting, all will be geared and primed to excel.

I do think it takes a couples of seasons to turn this into a juggernaut of a program and I won't be faulting Gruden for 8 win seasons. Those might happen, but they will never be "acceptable" to him, and they will never be his ceiling.

Gruden brings hope. That is what we desperately need. No one should expect to beat bama out of the gate.

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back