Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what did Brice mean by Gruden will be in town for the 3rd time? As in he's coming to the LSU game?

Yes but then someone said that info was about 10 days behind which if true would mean he came in this past weekend. That would match up with another poster earlier saying Currie stayed home this past weekend along with some others in the AD office. Seems the most plausible time to come when there is an away game so as not to draw attention.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone who knows Vols football, knows VN, for better or worse, is frequented for information, moreso than TOS because it's free. I mean, the site completely froze after the firing. And this thread specifically has EVERYONE on it checking for updates, because of MIT.

I've never fully bought into Beaver, again I just feel like his whole shtick reaks of character acting. BUT, if it does all work out, it would lead credence to the narrative. It would mean one of the boosters put SERIOUS effort into making this happen if they even created a propaganda campaign.

Or he could be just a troll. And if it doesn't work out, I'd still be impressed with just the sheer level of energy he gave it. I mean, even changing his Twitter bio because people were questioning if he was in fact referencing himself as the Stalking Horse means he's here as much as we are.

Right... He's way too invested and obsessed with this to be a troll.. His profile is constantly active, even when he's not posting. He's putting a ton of effort into it, for what? To troll VN and say "gotcha!" when it doesn't happen? That's a little ridiculous when you think about it. Trolls tend to come in, say their thing, mess with people for a while, then leave and never come back... And they're usually just bored kids posting from their mom's basement. The fact that ATL vouched for him having played at The Honors (frequently enough to know the name of the bartender) tells you he's not some bored kid. So why would someone like him dedicate so much time and effort to this? The only reason I can think of is if they're being paid to... He could have just brought his information, posted it and left. But he is still around, even after being called a troll by multiple people. If I had that many people calling me a troll and attacking me the way some have attacked MIT, I'd probably say screw this site and log off permanently.

Reactions: 5 people
Although, it might be in our best interest. If we get who we all want, I believe we will be talking to a new breed of recruit.

I certainly hope so, regardless of who the new coach is. Seems like a lot of our guys are afraid on contact and when they do hit someone they stay on the ground with some type of injury. I want to see some bad a$$ dudes come on board.

"The overtures to Jon Gruden, a Super Bowl champion coach, the NFL’s most recognizable broadcast voice and one-time UT assistant coach in the 1980s, are very real and much further along than at any point in any of Tennessee’s previous courtships to the mega-star football mind.

Six different sources, ranging from current coaches to former all-time great Vols to college administrators, in the past 72-96 hours tell me that Gruden is far more seriously considering this Tennessee offer than ever before; so much so that Gruden is making some preliminary calls to coaches and other college athletics folks about potentially joining him in Knoxville."
This is straight from John Brice. He also went on to say Gruden will be making his third trip to Knoxville this weekend.
3rd trip this weekend?

DISCLAIMER: I'm full Gruden. I've been full Gruden since 2012. I was very disappointed when Lyle Jones was named our head coach. I'm elated that he not longer occupies space on The Hill.

I keep hearing Frost from different people (here and other places). I do not want him clad in sweet Tennessee orange. Scott Frost is Lane Kiffin 2.0. Hear me out...

Up-and-coming offensive mind. The hot name on the coaching circuit "this year", with deep ties to a blue-blood college football program (Nebraska). And... if the Huskers job opened up, don't think he wouldn't pull a Kiffin and bolt after one season.

Just say "NO" to Frost. Gruden to The Hill. Soon...

Nebraska will more than likely have an opening this year. So if he didn't take the job then, then why would he take it down the road? But that's a moot point because we are currently in Grudecon 2.

Unless he's been here all along on a burner account. :)

It only is AV an upstanding and ethical player, but there may very well be under a confidentiality waver.
( not that surprising with the business players who may have been at that table- pretty common place for them with their dealings)

I suspect anything beyond a “ how you doin!” Is unlikely

what I'm unsure about is whoever the next coach will be (even though it'll be gruden lol) would they announce anything before the regular season is over and let Hoke continue the last 2 games or would they wait until after Vandy and then announce?

has there ever been an announcement of a new coach who comes in the next season while one is still going on

Urban Meyer at OSU.

. . . I think Gruden is the single biggest risk hire UT could make. You think you know, but you really don't. You are placing a lot of faith and $$$ on hope. If it works out, money well spent. If it doesn't, seriously bad move which damages the UT brand for a decade or more . . .

There's some logic in the reasoning for seeing Gruden as a risk, but in the end, I don't think it is valid.

First of all, the short term returns are going to be huge. There is no doubt that he would sell a ton of tickets this off-season and the hype behind the program would be huge. He'd pump a ton of money into the program right away. With most everyone else, the fan base would have a "wait and see" attitude.

I also think that the same hype would help recruiting in the short term. He would draw players early because he's Jon Gruden. He's one of the most recognized names in football on day one.

His name isn't going to carry him forever. But, I also think there's plenty of evidence out there that he is a strong football mind. He knows the game and can coach. His NFL resume should be enough evidence for that. So, if he has as much or more talent than every team he plays, he should win.

Once the program starts winning again, recruiting gets a lot easier. I know that Alabama works hard at recruiting, but it's also true that their success has them on autopilot to some degree. Guys who are offered there, usually take it. We can get back to that point with a few strong years of winning.

This program needs a big jump start back into relevancy. I don't think Gruden is the only answer to long term success, but he does put the program back in the spotlight on day one, and he has the resume to be successful.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back