Justin Martin

tennfanatic

Please tell me how in God's name this kid has been in our starting rotation the past two years? I'm not going to bash him because he is just a kid playing football but I don't understand what our coaching staff see's in him. I can honestly say I've never seen him do anything positive in a game. Against Florida he was burnt deep twice and picked up a personal foul in the 1st quarter. Then in the GA Tech game he's playing 10 yds off their receivers and not even trying to cover them.

Reactions: 8 people
J-Mart is probably the hardest player to figure out since I've been a Vol fan. He's got all the talent in the world I just don't know why it doesn't transfer to the field

Reactions: 2 people
Please tell me how in God's name this kid has been in our starting rotation the past two years? I'm not going to bash him because he is just a kid playing football but I don't understand what our coaching staff see's in him. I can honestly say I've never seen him do anything positive in a game. Against Florida he was burnt deep twice and picked up a personal foul in the 1st quarter. Then in the GA Tech game he's playing 10 yds off their receivers and not even trying to cover them.

Hence why he got pulled from the game...

To answer your question, I honestly have no clue. The lack of development at the corner position is mind-boggling (minus Sutton and Gaulden).

Surely there is a better option. Hell, I'd start a freshman this weekend

Reactions: 5 people
Whatever happened to the rule about not starting a thread with only the player's name?

Reactions: 3 people
IMO you can have any coach you want teaching the DB position but it comes down to the Jimmy's and Joes. We have had some 4 star recruits but we haven't signed a game changer at the position. I hope this year's class changes that

Reactions: 1 person

"cerebral" but cant play dead.

how or why you line up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 7 and then back pedal another 3 yards is beyond comprehension.... but according to D4H he has NFL talent...... :crazy:

He's a WR pushed into playing DB. It's like forcing a SS in baseball to pitch. It's not what they know how to do. Put him back where he belongs at WR. It's a position of need.

Because they back half has been garbage for the last 5yrs. 3 star U paying off

Can't give any young man hell for throwing his body on the line each and every weekend as well as practice but he sucks. Shouldn't see anything past special teams.

"cerebral" but cant play dead.

how or why you line up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 7 and then back pedal another 3 yards is beyond comprehension.... but according to D4H he has NFL talent...... :crazy:

Like I said in another thread: the worst thing that can happen to a player is a glowing prediction from D4H.

Reactions: 9 people
He's a WR pushed into playing DB. It's like forcing a SS in baseball to pitch. It's not what they know how to do. Put him back where he belongs at WR. It's a position of need.

Why do you say that? Hasn't he played DB since he's been in college? Even at NW Oklahoma A&M, it appears he played DB.

I don't really think this is the problem regardless. I get the sense that he has the athletic skills, but he just doesn't get the mental part of the game. So many plays, he's just out of position or taking bad angles. DB is a tough position and you're going to make mistakes there, but I'm not seeing any of our other DBs make them with anywhere near the frequency of Martin. He's obviously very athletic, but in a live game atmosphere, he struggles with decision-making.

I hate to point fingers at anyone but please watch the snap at 3:56 left in the 1st quarter and watch that play and tell me that Justin Martin is an SEC quality CB. That is the worst play I've ever seen from a UT defensive back and that is no small statement.

I am not sure what all this "talent" is that some of you speak of in terms of Martin? Does he have good size? Yep, but he can't tackle or cover so I am not sure exactly what some of you are seeing. He played terrible last year as well.

He may be like me at golf. I can play well on the range, but when the course stands before me the muscles tense, the brain farts and away we go, off into woods.

Hence why he got pulled from the game...

To answer your question, I honestly have no clue. The lack of development at the corner position is mind-boggling (minus Sutton and Gaulden).

Surely there is a better option. Hell, I'd start a freshman this weekend

I guess Wiggins has yet to meld into Tennessee football Champions of Life culture.

VN Store

Back