'17 TN WR Princeton Fant (UT commit 6/18/16)

Bruce was a BS and wasn't announced. Along with Perry and Joe Young IIRC. By the rules, guys can't be announced unless they sign something. And they can't sign something if they are BS.

Kyle Oliver was a BS and he was announced on NSD, if I recall. And we were thinking that Calbert was a BS for this class, and they've announced him today already.

I don't mean announced as a blue shirt, I just mean announced with the class on NSD.

Pretty well remember Robertson, Oliver, Bruce getting announced. Unless I'm just totally remembering it wrong.

If they announced him it would be a violation. You can't mention them by name until they are signed.

Also, they have announced Calbert. If they can't announce blue shirts, then we will have to drop one guy. I'm pretty sure they can announce them though.

Can't they sign financial papers and still be announced?

Not by my understanding:

15.5.6.3.4 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS] A
student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid
(based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not
be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit
for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the
academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.02.8 Recruited Student-Athlete. For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a studentathlete
who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
(a) Was provided an official visit to the institution’s campus;
(b) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution’s coaching staff (including
a coach’s arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective
student-athlete’s parents, relatives or legal guardians); or
2016-17 Division I – August
15FINANCIAL AID
(c) Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution
for a regular academic term.

Kyle Oliver was a BS and he was announced on NSD, if I recall. And we were thinking that Calbert was a BS for this class, and they've announced him today already.

It was assumed by some that Oliver was a BS. He didn't need to be by my numbers, and since he was announced, I don't think he was.

It was assumed by some that Oliver was a BS. He didn't need to be by my numbers, and since he was announced, I don't think he was.

We also straight up dropped him like a brick along with Bruce. That's what made me think he was a BS.

They can't announce them like they would a PWO, then magically give them a scholly in August?

VQ & 247 at the time we dropped Oliver said that he was one of the BS that wasn't public (like Bruce, Perry, & Young in that class).

Can they be put up there if they sign a financial aid agreement?

It is my understanding that once a prospect signs a financial aid agreement, the school can talk about them once signing day has arrived. Most athletes these days are not signing a NLI because that binds them to a school.

If you think about it, all of this makes sense. We would naturally announce BS candidates, simply because you can guarantee that schools with space available will go after those that are BS because they can still be recruited. Knowing that, schools announce their BS to help hide their identities.

It is my understanding that once a prospect signs a financial aid agreement, the school can talk about them once signing day has arrived. Most athletes these days are not signing a NLI because that binds them to a school.

If you think about it, all of this makes sense. We would naturally announce BS candidates, simply because you can guarantee that schools with space available will go after those that are BS because they can still be recruited. Knowing that, schools announce their BS to help hide their identities.

Most recruits certainly sign NLIs.
Schools want that protection. Only a select few don't.

If they sign either a NLI or Financial Aid Agreement, they cannot blue-shirt.

“All I can say is that it’s a blessing. This injury has humbled me. It humbled me to not be so cocky at times. It humbled me to know that anything can happen and football can be take away from you that quick. Just knowing that coach Jones and Tennessee wanted me there is just a blessing.”

With one rehab already in the books, Fant has approached his second rehab with a clearer mind and a more tireless work ethic. He doesn’t want to squander his second chance. “I knew what I had to do to get back. I knew what it would take,” he said. “I had a lot of support behind me. People telling me to go for the prize and that everything was going to be OK. The thing that really pushed me was my mom, because she kept telling me everything is going to be ok.”

...Fant is excited to work with new receivers coach Kevin Beard, and especially learn some tricks of the trade from Tennessee wideouts Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway. While Fant has tantalizing potential as a bigger body at wideout for the Vols (he’s been previously clocked at 4.6-seconds in the 40-yard dash with a 37-inch vertical), he knows he could be in store for a redshirt season since he's so raw at the position.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/finally-healthy-princeton-fant-ready-to-turn-dreams-into-a-reality-

Reactions: 7 people
“All I can say is that it’s a blessing. This injury has humbled me. It humbled me to not be so cocky at times. It humbled me to know that anything can happen and football can be take away from you that quick. Just knowing that coach Jones and Tennessee wanted me there is just a blessing.”

With one rehab already in the books, Fant has approached his second rehab with a clearer mind and a more tireless work ethic. He doesn’t want to squander his second chance. “I knew what I had to do to get back. I knew what it would take,” he said. “I had a lot of support behind me. People telling me to go for the prize and that everything was going to be OK. The thing that really pushed me was my mom, because she kept telling me everything is going to be ok.”

...Fant is excited to work with new receivers coach Kevin Beard, and especially learn some tricks of the trade from Tennessee wideouts Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway. While Fant has tantalizing potential as a bigger body at wideout for the Vols (he’s been previously clocked at 4.6-seconds in the 40-yard dash with a 37-inch vertical), he knows he could be in store for a redshirt season since he's so raw at the position.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/finally-healthy-princeton-fant-ready-to-turn-dreams-into-a-reality-

Hope this young man can get and stay healthy. A RS year will be great for him.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does a blue shirt allow Fant to do with the team? Workout, attend meetings, practice?

VN Store

Back