What if we are better?

Negavols won't go away - even if the Vols win the East or SEC this year they will say he lucked into it or it was Hoke etc. Negavols did the same to Majors and Fulmer and ran them out of town.

I say support the Team - which includes players and coaches. Butch has turned this program around and doesn't deserve this constant bashing. He has a good team lets just hope there aren't injuries and Hurd like players this year.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Let me know if my memory is hazy but wasn't Jones the 4th or 5th choice in our 12 coaching search. We're just not as attractive a program to top level coaches as many seem to think. So if Butch can't get us where we find is acceptable, he can at least make us more attractive to a future prospect that can. So lets not get in too big a hurry to re-enter a coaching search until we can build a better resume.

The ones constantly complaining about negas or pumpers are worse than the extreme case of either. Imo.

The ones constantly complaining about negas or pumpers are worse than the extreme case of either. Imo.

We just have to realize that passion, not intellect, drives these conversations. Intellect follows passion, not the other way around.

The sec east may still be classified as down but it is possible for every east team to improve this coming season.

When you are weak there's no where else to really move. The division doesn't have a contender in it and hasn't had for a few years.

What if we have a better season this year than the previous ones under Jones? It's a thought I have been rattling around in my head since spring practice. Does it mean new coaches are doing their jobs better than previous? Are new schemes better? Was injuries last season really the downfall of last season? Is it just the byproduct of young players getting p.t. last year? I personally think we will be better. So what does it mean if we are?

P.s. Long time observer, first thread

Are they paying him to get worse?

But a stronger division has a better chance of producing one during the season.

No doubt. I'm just not sure it makes a very big step. Lots of questions at several schools. Including the coaching ability of some of the torch bearers.

I like Jones and hope we are better. A 10-win season and or trip to Atlanta would help his recruiting pitch and ease some reservations

For example, injury numbers on D were unusually high but even healthy didn't play well. Some of them are gone and it looks like we'll be short-handed at DT again. Dobbs virtually took over a few games in a scheme that favor his athleticism; we won't have that in Dormady and will rely heavily on RB's, the OL pass-blocking, and his arm. We'll find out more about Shoop's leadership and scheme.

"Better" will be tough. I hope Jones pulls it off.

We just have to realize that passion, not intellect, drives these conversations. Intellect follows passion, not the other way around.

I realize that, but I Also realize that passion and intellect are not the only things that drive some of the conversations here. I also realize if I continue to discuss this, I will be including myself in the group I just criticized. :crazy:

I realize that, but I Also realize that passion and intellect are not the only things that drive some of the conversations here. I also realize if I continue to discuss this, I will be including myself in the group I just criticized. :crazy:

Is that why they say that discretion is the better part of valor?

I don't know if there's a team in the country that has six DTs who can rotate it and be effective.

I agree at lb. It's time for some of them to mature.

Byrd could be a superstar. His athleticism is off the charts. By far the fastest guy on the team. I'm hoping he breaks out this year. I'm curious to see how the new staff uses him.

You don't really need that 5th and 6th guy to play a lot. But last year showed that you need them to play some for two reasons. One, to take some reps off the top 4. Two, so they're ready to play if someone gets injured.

I've heard a few versions of who the fastest guy is now. The other WR that I think gets mentioned is L Williams. Having lots of fast guys is not a problem though... :rock:

I think we have more production at wr returning than left

Not by the numbers. Malone, Kamara, and Croom had over half of UT's receiving yards. The only guy returning who has proven he can produce is Jennings and he doesn't have the downfield ability of Malone.

There appears to be talent... but experience and depth are lacking.

I like Jones and hope we are better. A 10-win season and or trip to Atlanta would help his recruiting pitch and ease some reservations

For example, injury numbers on D were unusually high but even healthy didn't play well. Some of them are gone and it looks like we'll be short-handed at DT again. Dobbs virtually took over a few games in a scheme that favor his athleticism; we won't have that in Dormady and will rely heavily on RB's, the OL pass-blocking, and his arm. We'll find out more about Shoop's leadership and scheme.

"Better" will be tough. I hope Jones pulls it off.

I like Dobbs... and this drives Dobbs' supporters crazy... but he was never a great passer at UT. What you lose in athleticism with either potential starter, you make up for in the ability to throw the ball accurately, on time.

Reactions: 2 people
anything short of a National Championship and the same old people will be complaining

That is a baseless, ludicrous assertion.

Nobody expects that. The first step for Tennessee, like everyone else in the SEC is winning the division. That's all anyone ever looks for. The expectations start to build after that accomplishment. It has proven to be elusive enough to make a Natty completely out of mind to anyone with two cooperating brain cells.

I defy you to provide a single example of one of the people you are referring to suggesting that we should be winning National Championships.

Reactions: 6 people
I like Dobbs... and this drives Dobbs' supporters crazy... but he was never a great passer at UT. What you lose in athleticism with either potential starter, you make up for in the ability to throw the ball accurately, on time.

Which in turn will open up more of the offense...especially the running game. John Kelly will be the biggest beneficiary of an improved passing game.

Reactions: 3 people
I definitely see at least 9 wins this coming season. I think we will be a better team.

Healthier
Better chemistry
Better coaches = better schemes

All built on the momentum we've established in recent years. And maybe I'm drinking the kool aid, but I think we go on a good run the next 3-6 years and end up in the tournament once or twice.

You don't really need that 5th and 6th guy to play a lot. But last year showed that you need them to play some for two reasons. One, to take some reps off the top 4. Two, so they're ready to play if someone gets injured.

I've heard a few versions of who the fastest guy is now. The other WR that I think gets mentioned is L Williams. Having lots of fast guys is not a problem though... :rock:

The last results from gps I saw had Byrd, but yeah I've heard good things about Williams too.

Negavols won't go away - even if the Vols win the East or SEC this year they will say he lucked into it or it was Hoke etc. Negavols did the same to Majors and Fulmer and ran them out of town.

I say support the Team - which includes players and coaches. Butch has turned this program around and doesn't deserve this constant bashing. He has a good team lets just hope there aren't injuries and Hurd like players this year.

GO VOLS!

Yea, that's what it was

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back