Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+

My auto brightness vanished and I had outdoor mode instead. And the always on display was too dim to read. No luck with a factory reset. I exchanged it this afternoon. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

Did you ever find a brightness toggle for the AOD? I have a question to a mod on their forum about it but my understanding was it automatically adjusts on its own depending on the light in the room.

Did you ever find a brightness toggle for the AOD? I have a question to a mod on their forum about it but my understanding was it automatically adjusts on its own depending on the light in the room.

No. I think my brightness detector was broken. I believe the AOD is supposed to auto adjust. In my case, I didn't have an auto brightness setting for the phone at all. My replacement is working flawlessly so far, however.

Anyone have a preferred messaging app? I'm looking for one that has swipe to delete in the message thread list. I've tried Android Messages and the stock Samsung app so far and neither seem to have that option.

Anyone have a preferred messaging app? I'm looking for one that has swipe to delete in the message thread list. I've tried Android Messages and the stock Samsung app so far and neither seem to have that option.

Sounds like somebody has something they would like to hide as easily as possible.

AOD sounds like it'd destroy your battery life.

Very minimal as Freak said. The OLED is different than a LCD screen. When OLED shows black on it's screen it does it by turning the pixel or pixels off, on a LCD it's using a powered black color pixel. So the AOD is only using the power for the white or color pixels that's displaying.

Edit; forgot to add the AOD turns off in your pocket from my experience.

Last edited:
Freak, some useful info on the AOD screen and settings.

Attachments

• large (1).jpg
    large (1).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3
  • AOD.jpg
    AOD.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4
https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/apple-pay-vs-samsung-pay-vs-android-pay-5655

For Android Pay, assuming you have the compatible watch, you can either assign a side button to Pay or you can launch it from a complication. When you tap it, it will bring up Pay, and if you have more than one card on your account you'll need to select the one you want to use.

Otherwise, you just hold your wrist to the terminal, make sure the top edge of the watch is properly aligned with the NFC point, and wait for confirmation. It's straightforward in theory, though sometimes aligning the two perfectly can be tricky in practice.

With Apple Pay, it's a case of double tapping the side button and then holding the Watch up to the reader. Pretty similar.

It's here where Samsung Pay has an edge though, as it's the only one of the three to support MST (magnetic strip transactions) as well as NFC. This means it will work at almost all terminals with a magnetic strip reader, although the process means tapping your watch against that bit of the terminal instead. This is also a tad fiddly, but worth it for the added support.

For us, Samsung wins the battle of usage on smartwatches purely down to having both NFC and MST support, while the other two only support NFC. The fact it also works with Android phones makes it even better, and iOS support would be even more fantastic.

Here you go Freak.

Edit:

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/rewards-platinum-experience/

If you sign up now you get 2500 points. And if you make 10 purchases with Samsung pay by May 14 you get platinum points. Then if your using a Samsung watch even more points. All in the link above and you can use the points to buy Samsung products and gear.

I may or may not have read that completely correct. I'm half asleep trying to read it but you can check it out at that link.

Last edited:
So I just got back from Verizon and now have a S8 believe it or not I'm nearing 40yo and this is my first smartphone.

The guy recommended and says some of the other guys swear by the new "liquid glass" protector mentioned earlier in this thread. So he did that for me.

I wear glasses so I mentioned about getting that for my next pair of glasses and he said one of the workers actually used it on his.

A couple of questions does anyone know how to change the way the time looks on the unlocked screen?

Its stacked so it looks like this...

Its driving me nuts!

So I just got back from Verizon and now have a S8 believe it or not I'm nearing 40yo and this is my first smartphone.

The guy recommended and says some of the other guys swear by the new "liquid glass" protector mentioned earlier in this thread. So he did that for me.

I wear glasses so I mentioned about getting that for my next pair of glasses and he said one of the workers actually used it on his.

A couple of questions does anyone know how to change the way the time looks on the unlocked screen?

Its driving me nuts!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.androidcentral.com/how-customize-galaxy-s8-always-display?amp

Try that. Walks you through it.

Oh and I love the liquid glass protector. Besides it protecting, you will never have fingerprints on your screen again.

Reactions: 1 person
https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/apple-pay-vs-samsung-pay-vs-android-pay-5655

Here you go Freak.

Edit:

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/rewards-platinum-experience/

If you sign up now you get 2500 points. And if you make 10 purchases with Samsung pay by May 14 you get platinum points. Then if your using a Samsung watch even more points. All in the link above and you can use the points to by Samsung products and gear.

I may or may not have read that completely correct. I'm half asleep trying to read it but you can check it out at that link.

Thanks. I signed up for Samsung Pay today and started getting those reward points. :)

Its driving me nuts!
They sell the liquid glass protector in the Verizon Store?

Its driving me nuts!

https://samsungpromotions.com/entertainmentkit.html

Caglevol, that promotion goes live at 12am tonight May 5. Download the shop samsung app, follow the directions and claim your freebies.

Valid purchase period: 5/3/2017 - 5/16/2017
Registration begins 5/5/2017 on Shop Samsung

Buy a Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ and you’ll get a free Samsung Entertainment Kit —$170 value. It includes a Clear View Standing Cover, a 64GB EVO+ memory card plus six months of Netflix. The free Samsung Entertainment Kit is the perfect way to get the most out of your new Galaxy S8 or S8+ that will include Samsung Earphones Tuned by AKG.*

You have the option to upgrade the earbuds to overear AKG y50BlueTooth wireless headphones for $49.99. Normally sale at $119 And worth every penny.

Freak did you do a quick swap when you switched phones or did you get a new receipt yesterday? If it has a May 3 purchase price your eligible for that promotion I directed at Caglemtnvol.

Freak did you do a quick swap when you switched phones or did you get a new receipt yesterday? If it has a May 3 purchase price your eligible for that promotion I directed at Caglemtnvol.

That's a great question. I think I have a credit and a new receipt.

Edit: May 2nd.

That's a great question. I think I have a credit and a new receipt.

Edit: May 2nd.

If you buy something and it goes on sale the next day, you can possibly still get the promotion price difference rebated.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/hjKd24UCPYY[/youtube]

Pretty good commercial by Samsung promoting their VR.

VN Store

Back