Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of us know what will happen when a QB gets his first real shot. We focus on the stars, measurables, competition, etc. along with the coaches' knowledge and experience in the system they use. Then somebody comes along and it all clicks when it doesn't with some of the more likely players.

How many of us had even heard of Patrick Mahomes a few years ago when he was a Rivals 3* DT QB showing only 3 offers - Texas Tech where he played plus Houston and Rice. Most of the NFL analysts now have him in the #2-5 QB taken for the draft. Nearly all say he has as good or better arm than any current starting QB in the league - can make all the throws well. "High ceiling, low floor" prospect that will drive the coaches crazy until he matures because he believes he can make any play there is. Who knows if that will be the case with JG, QD, SJ or even Will McBride until we see it all play out.

I think it will click with JG. But I'm not ruling any of the others out at this point, especially QD. We don't know how Larry Scott and Butch are going to scheme the offense yet.

Reactions: 3 people
None of us know what will happen when a QB gets his first real shot. We focus on the stars, measurables, competition, etc. along with the coaches' knowledge and experience in the system they use. Then somebody comes along and it all clicks when it doesn't with some of the more likely players.

How many of us had even heard of Patrick Mahomes a few years ago when he was a Rivals 3* DT QB showing only 3 offers - Texas Tech where he played plus Houston and Rice. Most of the NFL analysts now have him in the #2-5 QB taken for the draft. Nearly all say he has as good or better arm than any current starting QB in the league - can make all the throws well. "High ceiling, low floor" prospect that will drive the coaches crazy until he matures because he believes he can make any play there is. Who knows if that will be the case with JG, QD, SJ or even Will McBride until we see it all play out.

I think it will click with JG. But I'm not ruling any of the others out at this point, especially QD. We don't know how Larry Scott and Butch are going to scheme the offense yet.

in4 someone says that Mahomes is the exception and not the rule. They will also say a gazillion other 3* never work out and never at Tennessee.

Too many live and die by what these recruiting sites push. I am not sure how we ever recruited before they came around. We all know that these sites evaluate the thousands of high school football athletes and that they are never wrong in their evaluations.

Reactions: 3 people
Imagine the meltdown if QD gets the starting nod, gets hurt/yanked, and JG has a Peterman in the Swamp performance.

First, spring practice. Then August camp. Then, we don't play FL until 3rd game and at least 2 QBs will have played by then. Lastly, JG can do things Peterman can't do.

It will all get sorted out with time. Y'all need to chillax.

Imagine the meltdown if QD gets the starting nod, gets hurt/yanked, and JG has a Peterman in the Swamp performance.

Peterman turned out to be a very good quarterback for Pitt, but after Florida horror, no fan wearing orange felt comfortable with him.

Worley was as tough as they come, but he wasn't a running quarterback. He nearly got killed (and weren't we suppose to have had a good offensive line then??)

That is why I have come to the conclusion that the Dobbs types work best for the VOLS with Butch Jones as coach (IMO) ..

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of predictions coming in for Joe Milton to the Gators and the QB from Bishop Gorman high school in Nevada to UCLA. While both were probably long shots, it's frustrating to keep seeing top notch 2018 QBs coming off the board to other teams.

Wasn't UT one of the first to offer Milton and now he is rising up the rankings? It's like the UT staff finds talent, offers, then other schools offer and the prospect commits to someone other than UT. It's frustrating. Rant over.

Reactions: 1 person
So just read an article Mike Farrell put out about RB's that helped themselves out with their combine results. Of course they mention Kamara but something caught me off guard when talking about him. Farrell mentioned that he had some off the field issues but nothing compared to Joe Mixon's.

What issues is he referring to?
Probably referring to how he clased with Saban at Bama and got suspended and his arrest around his JUCO days for driving on a suspended license.

There was also smoke from multiple insiders hinting that one or more of our team captains weren't putting in the work in the weightroom and setting the example you'd expect of a team captain. If that was Kamara, scouts most likely did enough digging for that to come out.

I really want to emphasize that my second paragraph here is speculation based on rumors, so don't take it to heart.

I really don't. I'm in the "best QB should start even if it's Will McBride" group. And I want to know why the JG hype. Is it the #1-3 DT ranking?

We see the battle the same way. But Butch usually defers to competent experience over youthful talent. This year could be different because JG has been in the system a year and he has the coach he trusts to mentor the QB's.

My take going back to the August practices I saw is JG is all he was billed to be. I posted about it back then.

Positives: The offensive players love him and were inspired to play well when he was taking snaps. They would rally around him and talked with him individually and in small groups on their own after his session ended. A natural, vocal leader that is very decisive. He is balanced and quick footed with a gun for an arm that is more accurate than Dobbs. He is a true DT that can make it happen running. But he is also talented in the pocket and did not seem to get antsy with the d-line flying around. He is truly an instinctive player. IMO he will make decisions/plays you don't think are possible because I saw him make one on a fumble recovery that resulted in a score that had his teammates ecstatic over his play.

Negatives: He did not have touch on his passes unless they were bombs, which he actually did well. He needs work on the timing and touch with intermediate routes and on throwing too hard with the short stuff. That will come with playing time. His other issue, which is important, his frame is very slender. I hope he can get some more muscle on him to withstand the hits a DT QB takes. He's like at zero body fat. Strong, but really slender. Will probably know more about how that's going with SP. It makes me hope that QD sticks with it because we might need a quality back-up due to injury.

Because our failed expectations?

Yeah man. I realized last year I need to take a step back and not take it so seriously and not invest so much time into it. I've started watching my other sports teams more and have even started taking up some new sports. Don't get me wrong, I'm still more of a Vol fan than anything but there is much more to do than worry about it all the time.

Reactions: 2 people
Probably referring to how he clased with Saban at Bama and got suspended and his arrest around his JUCO days for driving on a suspended license.

There was also smoke from multiple insiders hinting that one or more of our team captains weren't putting in the work in the weightroom and setting the example you'd expect of a team captain. If that was Kamara, scouts most likely did enough digging for that to come out.

I really want to emphasize that my second paragraph here is speculation based on rumors, so don't take it to heart.

If he got suspended at Bama, then he musta killed someone!:gun::gun::gun::gun:

Reactions: 1 person

Oh. Lawd. But then again I'm just imagining the meltdown when QD gets the starting nod.

Last edited:
Yeah man. I realized last year I need to take a step back and not take it so seriously and not invest so much time into it. I've started watching my other sports teams more and have even started taking up some new sports. Don't get me wrong, I'm still more of a Vol fan than anything but there is much more to do than worry about it all the time.

Makes sense, I never take it that seriously.
It's football. I watch and love it because it's what I enjoy. Sometimes you lose games you think you will win and sometimes the opposite. The Dooley decline made it hard to watch but for the most part, we have the same ups and downs as the overwhelming majority.

Although some on VN make posts that imply we're on some secluded island of woe, it's just not true.

Reactions: 5 people
Too many live and die by what these recruiting sites push. I am not sure how we ever recruited before they came around. We all know that these sites evaluate the thousands of high school football athletes and that they are never wrong in their evaluations.

Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back