Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure we'll have a DT crisis during spring ball. McKenzie, Vickers, and Tuttle are out.

And Hubbs will probably drop a few bombs about Picou and Alexis Johnson needing to up their conditioning to be factors in the fall or something.

Then everyone will miraculously be 100% by the time we play GT, but we'll lose 3 DTs to season-ending injuries in that game.

Picou was getting raves for his work with Rock, when lifting started.

Reactions: 3 people
SIAD: Brice Ramsey transferring from UGA so they will only have two QB's on the roster. Lost their punter too.

"Falling apart" under Smart! "Rats leaving the 'sinking ship'! "Guess they'll have to go for it on fourth down'! :w00t:

Reactions: 3 people
1. When do Crosby and Butler get in campus?

2. We expect Bennett to RS correct?

3. Do we have definitive word if A. Johnson got a RS last year?

4. Any word on Tuttle?

5. KMack?

6. Is Kongbo DE, DT or both?

7. Do Picou and Vickers take another step forward?

Seems like we have more 3 techniques and not enough 1s, but we don't appear to be wanting true 1 techniques anyway.

All JMO/limited knowledge of Vol Football, but I figured I'd take a stab at it-

1. I believe they arrive in June.

2. He's a youngin, but he comes from a top HS that's known for turning out college athletes. Maybe he can contribute if we hit the injury bug again.

3. Last year, I think the redshirts were updated on the roster after the school year was over. So I'd look for an update on redshirts around May or June.

4. Tuttle-Another knee injury. Hyams said back in Dec this one is worse than the 2015 injury. Apparently out at least til August. Maybe into season like last year.

5. Kmack tore his pec vs Bama. Usually about a 6-month recovery. I'd guess he'll be good to go right after spring ball is through.

6. Kongbo-who knows. Maybe we'll get a good idea next week when spring practice starts. I'd guess they'll play him some at both spots.

7. Vickers has been a starter, should be a decent contributor. Picou has apparently impressed in workouts. We'll see if he's finally ready to be in the rotation.

Reactions: 1 person
SIAD: Brice Ramsey transferring from UGA so they will only have two QB's on the roster. Lost their punter too.

So, Eason and Fromm are only 2 QBs on roster? That has potential disaster written all over it.

Picou was getting raves for his work with Rock, when lifting started.

Yeah, but it always seems like there's some paradoxical report from VQ about a guy who was previously getting a lot of hype.

They'll talk about how the S&C coach or position coach is really bragging on a player, then two months later he's not a factor for playing time.

Yeah, but it always seems like there's some paradoxical report from VQ about a guy who was previously getting a lot of hype.

They'll talk about how the S&C coach or position coach is really bragging on a player, then two months later he's not a factor for playing time.

So why hasn't Alexis Johnson been similarly feted?

VQ is notorious for talking guys up during camp who are no-shows during the season. I fully expect several guys to be talked up during spring camp that will have little said about them during the fall camp and/or season. It happens every year. We get workout warriors in camp that don't live up to the hype. IMO, it's not necessarily the players' fault. It's up to the readers to take their untrained eye's evaluation with a grain of salt.

Just last year, the spring and fall camp reports were that the team passed the eye test and looked fitter than ever, which we all know was not really the case.

So why hasn't Alexis Johnson been similarly feted?

I'm not singling out any player here. Just saying that it's not uncommon for a guy to get a lot of hype and then suddenly disappear once the season starts. Would be our luck for it to happen to multiple DL considering that we're thin along the line this season.

VQ is notorious for talking guys up during camp who are no-shows during the season. I fully expect several guys to be talked up during spring camp that will have little said about them during the fall camp and/or season. It happens every year. We get workout warriors in camp that don't live up to the hype. IMO, it's not necessarily the players' fault. It's up to the readers to take their untrained eye's evaluation with a grain of salt.

Just last year, the spring and fall camp reports were that the team passed the eye test and looked fitter than ever, which we all know was not really the case.

Yep. Brice comparing Kongbo to John Henderson. Lol. I fell for it big time.

It's why I'm really cautious about any kind of early reports on JG or QD. Or even Chandler once he arrives.

Completely agree. That's the beat writers job - to hype the heck outta this team and these players during the offseason. I would not at all be surprised if Butch and Co. fed the writers names of certain players to focus on, so as to give them some good press so they won't transfer. We'll hear all about these great incoming players that will provide quality depth and competition at certain positions, and then we'll see the same guys we're used to seeing out there on Saturdays by the time Fall comes around. Just the game of it. JMO.

So, Eason and Fromm are only 2 QBs on roster? That has potential disaster written all over it.

I'm interested to see Eason's progression from this past season to next season. Does he stay the same or does he get better at going through his read progression and stops forcing so many throws?

I'm interested to see Eason's progression from this past season to next season. Does he stay the same or does he get better at going through his read progression and stops forcing so many throws?

I think he will be good. But Cheney is not doing him any favors. He kinda sounds like Bray under Cheney so far. I actually think he is going to get seriously injured if they don't develop a strong running game, and pass block better.

True that

So just read an article Mike Farrell put out about RB's that helped themselves out with their combine results. Of course they mention Kamara but something caught me off guard when talking about him. Farrell mentioned that he had some off the field issues but nothing compared to Joe Mixon's.

What issues is he referring to?

Just listened to Finebaum's take on the AD hire a little bit ago. I'm hoping this codknocker chancellor doesn't turn out to be worse than Cheek.

Fans are also notorious for taking a meaningless quote and building the hype in our own minds. Sometimes we see a need that the team needs filled and then we start letting our hopes become our own reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back