Game Thread Lady Vols vs Florida

Yes, but the chances of both getting those points are near zero and not much better for one or the other.

If we got that production out of these two plus consistent scoring from our 3 top scorers we would be hard to beat assuming we played decent defense and rebounded.

Even worse than our overall offense is the passion for team defense and rebounding.

I know we want get that type scoring from them but if you look at the handful of games when we did they were all wins.

She's 6'6" 15 points should be easy. I am talking about on the defensive end and rebounding. People blow by us in a zone and she is the last line of defense yet she doesn't even attempt to block the shot. Diamond and Nared attempts to block more shots than Russell

Some kids go through dramatic growth spurts and never catch up to their fast growth, mechanically. They stay awkward. She was also injured. . . . I'm not sure I would want to try to restructure her stride. That is for a Strength and Conditioning expert.

I consider what Mercedes is doing quite good. 16 double doubles. That makes her #8 in the country in that stat. There are only 3 girls over 6'5" in the top fifty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
and should have had it if not for some blown assists

We ooh and aww over the beautiful feeds to the posts and the thread the needle bonce passes,,,...Until they don't get completed...Then those same oohs and ahhs become, flashy and showy

Has Mercedes fouled out anytime this year? I don't wish her to get into foul trouble but I do need her to be more physical on the blocks with blocks and rebounding. I like Nunn defense but has to learn how not to get tangled into a jump ball.

Last edited:
Coach J, are you working with Amidd still? I think you were earlier this year? Correct me if wrong, please!

I thought it was another good game for Alexa,Russell was solid as usual,DD was a bit off,but that is to be expected after some time off

hopefully Nared will get it together,she is what has been missing

I thought it was another good game for Alexa,Russell was solid as usual,DD was a bit off,but that is to be expected after some time off

Diamond was a bit off? She nearly had a triple double.

Tough crowd :mf_surrender:

Reactions: 1 person
she was 4 for 12= 33% thats off for most people

Her shooting was off, but her passing, rebounding and defense were on point. Despite sub-par shooting, she got to the FT line, scored 15 points, and created a ton of scoring opportunities for her teammates.

Reactions: 2 people
Related to this post is the Hayes sisters at riverdale only won the district game final by 2. They may get a rematch in the region against the same team - stewart creek. Annie had 24 of the 57 points in the win.

Just talked to a close friend who was able to go see Riverdale play in their first game of region tournament tonight. His assessment: Annie is quick, not beep beep quick, but quick. He said she is easily 5'6" and every shot she took was right at the rim. She did not look to take an outside shot that he saw. He said she could be a nice distributor but will need work on perimeter game.

He added that the two sisters that play with her are not ready for prime time just yet. One plays point and needs to develop a left hand. The other a wing and is a player you would not really notice in the game if you weren't looking to see her.

A little background on my friend. He is a former national HS boys travel team coach. He has coached major D1 guys and a few that have and are playing in various pro levels. He is a difficult guy to impress, much like a lot of the posters on this board.

Her shooting was off, but her passing, rebounding and defense were on point. Despite sub-par shooting, she got to the FT line, scored 15 points, and created a ton of scoring opportunities for her teammates.

Exactly...when Diamond's shots aren't falling, she finds other ways to be productive. I have heard it come out of her mouth that "If someone else has the hot hand tonight, that's fine with me and I will get them the ball." (paraphrasing)

💙💎

And DD would have had higher stats if some of her other passes had been caught. I don't know if it is just that others are not expecting passes, or if some of the others are ham-fisted.

On a related note, Holly is accused of never getting on her players but in the 1st quarter, Diamond had back to back TOs that came from really poor decisions. She got pulled for about 2 minutes and I am sure was given a staunch reminder about ball security. Once she came back in, she was quite solid.

Reactions: 3 people
On a related note, Holly is accused of never getting on her players but in the 1st quarter, Diamond had back to back TOs that came from really poor decisions. She got pulled for about 2 minutes and I am sure was given a staunch reminder about ball security. Once she came back in, she was quite solid.

She does get on them, I know it and you know it. I don't know if people just assume she doesn't or just like to make stuff up.
Amazes me how people sometimes want to run their mouths when they have absolutely no knowledge of what does or doesn't go on within the program. LOL

Reactions: 4 people
Room booked this morning. See you in Greenville.... 😁

You in Greenvill to stay? We may not get in until Thursday. Does anyone know if we might play Wednesday? Never worried about that before and did not book a room for Wednesday night. If can't get in Garden House, will try to find a room SOMEWHERE to see Wednesday game (still hard to believe that...we were so excited when they decided the top 16 teams would host first rounds...never expected to be out of top 10, let alone top 16!!!)

Bring your ugly hat. A friend made me turn mine on the end of game Thursday, and they went on the run. Guess I have to wear the **** thing from now on:sick:.

There's no chance of the Lady Vols playing on Wednesday. In fact, with a win over MS State and some help from Alabama, the Lady Vols still have a shot at a double bye, if my calculations and understanding of the tie-breakers is correct.

Jim

Are these games televised. I haven't watched one all year

Also hello mule

Edit: saw your op. Sec network

You in Greenvill to stay? We may not get in until Thursday. Does anyone know if we might play Wednesday? Never worried about that before and did not book a room for Wednesday night. If can't get in Garden House, will try to find a room SOMEWHERE to see Wednesday game (still hard to believe that...we were so excited when they decided the top 16 teams would host first rounds...never expected to be out of top 10, let alone top 16!!!)

Bring your ugly hat. A friend made me turn mine on the end of game Thursday, and they went on the run. Guess I have to wear the **** thing from now on:sick:.

No worries - they will play either Thursday or Friday. Won't know until the SEC season
concludes. I won't be there until Friday so I am counting on them hanging in there if
they play Thursday!

We are at the Holiday Inn Express in Anderson about 20 miles away. We always have good luck with Holiday Inns and this particular one was completely renovated last fall. They still had a few rooms and suites earlier today.

Girrrrrllll...you are determined to make me wear a hat, aren't you? 😁

There's no chance of the Lady Vols playing on Wednesday. In fact, with a win over MS State and some help from Alabama, the Lady Vols still have a shot at a double bye, if my calculations and understanding of the tie-breakers is correct.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I found the brackets and current standings.

1) If we win, then we jump Mizzery, if they lose. Both would be 10-6 records and we beat them.

2) If we win and ATM wins, then both have 10-6 records, but they stay ahead of us since they beat us in head to head.

3) If ATM lose and we win, we jump them since they would be 9-7 and we would be 10-6.

4) If we lose, we are 6 seed no matter what Mizzery and ATM do.

So to get the 4 seed, double bye:
1) we must win,
2) mizzery must lose,
3) ATM must lose.

Is that right?

No am must lose and we must win we beat mixzou and we would have tie breaker as if we win we will have a 10-6 as well as mizzouri

VN Store

Back