'17 MS RB Cam Akers (FSU commit 12/27)

You guys still bumping this thread?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Not sure why you (dune) have to always resort to constant name calling and get so mad when trying to discuss things. Pretty funny actually. We will see what happens in a month. Hopefully we get a surprise with Ray and flip Corker

No anger on my end snowflake. Just providing a public service for the board.

Not even worth the freak out. Chandler will have the same type of impact. We need Ray or a damn CB more than another RB. Another elite RB was cherry on top. Chandler is big time and anyone that watches his senior stuff will see that. Instead of camps he works his own business. The kid has his priorities straight a lot better than most grown men and he is in HS. If he camped he would be a 5 star. Heck he almost is. There is a reason Barton Simmons always throws Chandlers name in any article about 2017 RB class. He has seen him the whole time and even today mentioned he has the best Vision of any back in this class.

I would have loved an Akers/Chandler/Kelly combo but we can just as much success with Chandler/Kelly and someone else too

Reactions: 1 person
Ain't even mad. It's a weak class, it is what it is.

It is not a weak class. That is stupid. It is a disappointing class because of the potential for greatness that was there, but it is still a solid class. There are over 100 teams and UT will finish in the top 15-20% of those teams. That is not weak.

Reactions: 2 people
Ok. I guess I just believe when we play Bama and an SEC schedule every year, we need our class to be better in order to compete with the big boys. But to each his own

Ok. I guess I just believe when we play Bama and an SEC schedule every year, we need the class to be better in order to compete with the big boys. But to each his own

Might as well get over the beating bama part. That is asking for a failure for every team in SEC. Might as focus on all the other teams.

Exactly. The same idiots who castigate others as "stargazers" were the ones tuned in to see if we were gonna get the highest rated running back in the country.

Everyone looks at 5 stars and sees that Alabama, OSU, and others have more than most. They'll say that's why they are winning but what they don't realize is it's the 4 stars making the difference. The reason why all the teams that are close continuously in contention is because they have plenty of 4 star talent.

4 star players are the working class of America, metaphorically speaking.

3 stars aren't terrible because a lot of them become 4 and 5 star players before their tenure is over but it's when a program is majority 3 star, the talent level will stick out eventually.

It is not a weak class. That is stupid. It is a disappointing class because of the potential for greatness that was there, but it is still a solid class. There are over 100 teams and UT will finish in the top 15-20% of those teams. That is not weak.

7th in the SEC certainly isn't strong.

We have some guys with high upside but only seem to have landed one game changer in Chandler thus far. Smith is an outstanding pickup as well, but not at a position that usually is in place to make a game changing play.

There is a reason Akers is a 5* and Chandler is a 4* its not even close

You do know this years heisman trophy winner (Lamar Jackson) was 3*/4* according to every service and wasn't even in most sites top 300 prospects overall.

The 5* top ranked QBs of that class were Blake Barnett and Kyler Murray. Both guys have already had to transfer and barely played.

Recruiting rankings are not even close to being infallible. I'm pretty sure the best player from this class will ultimately be some 3 star nobody is talking about.

We were always 3rd or 4th at BEST. His relationship with RG was always way over blown IMO. Lots of hope, but was never happening. Kid is a baller and will do well at FSU.

We have some guys with high upside but only seem to have landed one game changer in Chandler thus far. Smith is an outstanding pickup as well, but not at a position that usually is in place to make a game changing play.

How in the hell do you know that Chandler is the only "game changer"? Just because of stars by their name?

I have been down on this class, but it has improved a ton by some of the switchouts. Butler and DJ can play. McBride can play. Reid can play. Ignont can play. Murphy is going to be a star. There are several others that are going to be at worst very solid players. It is a solid class, not a weak class imo. I don't care what it is ranked. There were several commits that I didn't think were good players that have been upgraded, shiny stars or not. I feel better about this class now, than I did before the season.

You do know this years heisman trophy winner (Lamar Jackson) was 3*/4* according to every service and wasn't even in most sites top 300 prospects overall.

The 5* top ranked QBs of that class were Blake Barnett and Kyler Murray. Both guys have already had to transfer and barely played.

Recruiting rankings are not even close to being infallible. I'm pretty sure the best player from this class will ultimately be some 3 star nobody is talking about.

I get so sick of hearing this! It's been proven over and over that stars do matter! Please stop

I get sick of people acting like stars are the only thing that matter! Please stop.

Dude, I know sometimes hearing facts that aren't in UT's favor sucks. It's just reality man. If we would have taken care of USC and Vandy we would have landed a couple of bluechips. Don't be mad at me, be mad at the coaching staff or team that didn't get it done

Reactions: 7 people
Stories from my two trusted sources...

1. Aunt was seen buying tons of UT gear on Christmas Eve in the local mall around his hometown.

2. A anonymous member of his family and one of his coaches told a 247 member he's going to UT.

3. He told Trey Smith he wants to play behind him and is recruiting LaBryan Ray hard to come play on Rocky Top as well.

If they are wrong, I will never trust the sources I have again. I'm way too stoked about the things I've heard in the past 36 hours or so.

You should be banned but at the very least shunned by everyone if Freak does not ban you

How in the hell do you know that Chandler is the only "game changer"? Just because of stars by their name?

That's a good point. There could be another one in there somewhere. But I said "seems"." And right now, it seems there's no one besides Chandler we can point at in this class and realistically expect to make a be a player who can change games for us in 2017.

IMO stars aren't important. I said before that I think we have some guys with good upside. But most of the guys in this class don't project to make an impact for at least another season or so. And with 2017 looking to be such a vital year for Butch, you'd hope he'd have been able to bring more aboard.

I have been down on this class, but it has improved a ton by some of the switchouts. Butler and DJ can play. McBride can play. Reid can play. Ignont can play. Murphy is going to be a star. There are several others that are going to be at worst very solid players. It is a solid class, not a weak class imo. I don't care what it is ranked. There were several commits that I didn't think were good players that have been upgraded, shiny stars or not. I feel better about this class now, than I did before the season.

I feel better about this class than I did a month ago, but not before the season. Before the season, I figured we'd have a trip to Atlanta to help land a few more studs. I think we've added some good players since the season ended. But they're all guys who will need time to adjust to SEC play. Also, positions of need are important. We've added some nice players, but many of them are at spots where we have lots of upperclassmen or older players they'll likely be stuck behind.

I'm hoping Butch can turn things around, but he needs to add a few studs who can contribute immediately at some positions like DT and CB and thus far this class we've struck out on our targets. It doesn't bode well.

VN Store

Back