Top active college basketball coaches

The nucleus you speak of does not strike fear in my heart.
You are bashing Coach K for putting a team on the floor that has Top 10 talent, in order to try to prove he is not a good recruiter?

Hill
Laettner
Hurley
Ferry
Boozer
Brand
Williams
Avery
Battier
Maggette
Deng
Duhon
Redick
S. Williams

You are correct, Coach K is not a good recruiter. He is a great recruiter.

You are bashing Coach K for putting a team on the floor that has Top 10 talent, in order to try to prove he is not a good recruiter?

Hill
Laettner
Hurley
Ferry
Boozer
Brand
Williams
Avery
Battier
Maggette
Deng
Duhon
Redick
S. Williams

You are correct, Coach K is not a good recruiter. He is a great recruiter.

I'll pass your comments on to the straw man.

Coach K has shown that he can recruit. But his recent experiment of making a majority of his recruits stiff white guys is clearly failing.

Coach K has shown that he can recruit. But his recent experiment of making a majority of his recruits stiff white guys is clearly failing.

Top 10 talent? I disagree. So do the results.
I could care less about the polls after the tournament.

However, if you would like to use that as a measuring stick fine. I will go ahead and change my comment.

You are bashing Coach K for putting a team on the floor that has Top 10 talentearned a two seed, in order to try to prove he is not a good recruiter?

Right. Coach K is definitely factoring race into his recruiting decisions.

I could care less about the polls after the tournament.

However, if you would like to use that as a measuring stick fine. I will go ahead and change my comment.

How far did that two-seed go in the tournament? How far did they go last year? The year before? The year before?

Are you arguing that this Duke team has elite talent?

Perhaps this article says it better than I can in a post.
SI.com - Writers - Stewart Mandel: Why Duke has sunk down stretch over last seven years - Thursday February 21, 2008 2:09PM

Mandel is a hack. Has been for quite a while. And, yes, I am arguing that Duke does have Elite talent. Also, since you are trying to say that they did not in 2005, then it does not surprise me that you pay attention to Mandel.

Randolph
Sheldon Williams
Redick
Daniel Ewing

Four future NBA players really shows a lack of talent.

Mandel is a hack. Has been for quite a while. And, yes, I am arguing that Duke does have Elite talent. Also, since you are trying to say that they did not in 2005, then it does not surprise me that you pay attention to Mandel.

Randolph
Sheldon Williams
Redick
Daniel Ewing

Again, take it to the strawman. How did they do in 2005? That's what I asked. The lack of talent I'm speaking of is right now. Luol Deng is extremely athletic and is more indicative of who coach K used to recruit than who he's been going after recently.

DeMarcus Nelson, Gerald Henderson, David McClure, Lance Thomas and Nolan Smith all seem to make your argument invalid.

For a whitewash, you just need to do be able to put 5 white guys out there at one time. It doesn't mean you have to be all white.

Do you have a point to this statement?

My point is simple. Duke has an inordinate amount of stiff white guys whose best offensive is to spot up for a three pointer and whose best defense is to try to take a charge. They haven't been able to win in the tournament. And have struggled against not good teams (belmont) when they do win.

Want me to not use race? Okay. Duke hasn't shown the athleticism needed to make a deep tournament run.

For a whitewash, you just need to do be able to put 5 white guys out there at one time. It doesn't mean you have to be all white.

whatever. Henderson is about as athletic as they come. So was Nelson. Nolan Smith will be when he gets control of the offense. And just because Scheyer and Singler are white doesn't mean they aren't good for what Duke does. Duke is a big man away from being a dominant team again. There problem has nothing to do with the fact that they could essentially put Paulus, Singler, Scheyer, Zoubek and Pocious on the floor and have a, gasp, whitewash on the floor.

Randolph
Sheldon Williams
Redick
Daniel Ewing

Hack or no hack, the numbers he uses speak for themselves.

You must be defining the word "elite" very very broadly.

I'm not a coach K basher. There isn't any questioning what he has done in the past; or the quality of the guys he has recruited in the past. But let's be honest, Brian Zoubek is no Elton Brand. Greg Paulus is no Bobby Hurley or Jay Williams. Kyle Singler is no Cory Maggette or Grant Hill.

whatever. Henderson is about as athletic as they come. So was Nelson. Nolan Smith will be when he gets control of the offense. And just because Scheyer and Singler are white doesn't mean they aren't good for what Duke does. Duke is a big man away from being a dominant team again. There problem has nothing to do with the fact that they could essentially put Paulus, Singler, Scheyer, Zoubek and Pocious on the floor and have a, gasp, whitewash on the floor.

For the record, I'm neither:
1) implying that coach K has intentionally been using race.
2) trying to start a social, public policy debate.

So the "gasp" is uneccessary.

Don't forget Czyz. Its a shame Taylor King left. A 7-deep whitewash might just be unprecedented.

For the record, I'm neither:
1) implying that coach K has intentionally been using race.
2) trying to start a social, public policy debate.

So the "gasp" is uneccessary.

I don't see why you even hint at it. Acting like the stiff unathletic guys are something new to Duke is absurd, it's what K has built his program around. He's never built his team around the AND1 style of offense or anything close to it. Battier and Langdon weren't exactly great athletic guys. Obviously, Hurley, Laettner, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Boozer, Dunleavy, Melch, Randolph, Sanders, Horvath, James, McLeod, Chappel, Parks, Newton and Burgess don't scream athletic AND1 players either.

I don't see why you even hint at it. Acting like the stiff unathletic guys are something new to Duke is absurd, it's what K has built his program around. He's never built his team around the AND1 style of offense or anything close to it. Battier and Langdon weren't exactly great athletic guys. Obviously, Hurley, Laettner, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Boozer, Dunleavy, Melch, Randolph, Sanders, Horvath, James, McLeod, Chappel, Parks, Newton and Burgess don't scream athletic AND1 players either.

You can be athletic without being an AND1-type player. One can also be athletic and white at the same time. Hurley, Laettner, Dunleavy..those guys weren't unathletic by any means. McRoberts is a good athlete (though he had other flaws). Wojo was not athletic at all, I'll give you that. But remember that Duke was not good when they had Wojo.

You can be athletic without being an AND1-type player. One can also be athletic and white at the same time. Hurley, Laettner, Dunleavy..those guys weren't unathletic by any means. McRoberts is a good athlete (though he had other flaws). Wojo was not athletic at all, I'll give you that. But remember that Duke was not good when they had Wojo.

being a good passer as a big man does not make one athletic. McRob is so athletic he couldn't post up on 5'10 me. Please. As for not good with Wojo, that's just laughable. Singler and Scheyer are no less athletic than Dunleavy, Redick and Laettner.

being a good passer as a big man does not make one athletic. McRob is so athletic he couldn't post up on 5'10 me. Please. As for not good with Wojo, that's just laughable. Singler and Scheyer are no less athletic than Dunleavy, Redick and Laettner.

I'm not in on this, but McRoberts is extremely athletic.

VN Store

Back