McElroy hates Tennessee

Ok. Your avi makes me think you don't have a very high opinion of Spurrier.

What's the difference?

It used to be Butch Jones but to many people cried about it, I think Spurrier is an outstanding coach and person. I think Greg McElroy was a good college football player and I respect his opinion as a member of the media. Id rather have the truth then someone blowing smoke up my butt.

Reactions: 1 person
Why is he a prick? Because he gave you a dose of reality? He just didn't fall of the bandwagon after Saturday, hes questioned this team and staff all year. His main point being this team is soft and compared to last year they are.

He was all over Florida at the first of the season. Loved Del Rio and McElwain. Cause JM was his coach. No one with any creditability thinks Del Rio is a SEC winning qb. Hell, JM would take another qb if he could.

I call BS. This team destroyed 11th ranked Northwestern in last years bowl game. With 17 returning starters expectations should have been and should remain very high. Look at all the injuries. And yet the cupboard is full of young inexperienced talent. Tennessee is on an upswing thanks to Butch. I don't agree with many game day decisions but this team can beat anybody. McElroy can suck it.

The other thing that's going to make McElroy's argument stronger will be as the season progresses...the losses that will begin to mount up for Va Tech, Florida, Georgia, etc.

I think it is possible that by the end of regular season, Tennessee will not have beaten a ranked team.

i think GA definitely has another loss or two in them.

i think you guys have at least 1. VT is a wild card, they could be 9-3, still a good season.

Bama speaks for itself, and our back half is what it is.

but as poor mouthed as our back half will be, it should be noted, that everybody plays that crap schedule. this year, there's just a significant line of demarcation that splits our schedule directly in half. and that line was crossed Saturday at about 8 pm EST.

it'd be nice if we could mix it up a little big and sprinkle in some of these back half games thru out.....instead of having those first 7 lumped all together.

but it is what it is. we're here, we're still in it, and every game we play is relevant from here on. which is all you can ask for. been a while since we've played games in late October and november that had conf implications.

He was all over Florida at the first of the season. Loved Del Rio and McElwain. Cause JM was his coach. No one with any creditability thinks Del Rio is a SEC winning qb. Hell, JM would take another qb if he could.

While he hasn't played anyone yet, Del Rio is undefeated as a starter. So hes done exactly what he was supposed to do so far.

i think GA definitely has another loss or two in them.

i think you guys have at least 1. VT is a wild card, they could be 9-3, still a good season.

Bama speaks for itself, and our back half is what it is.

but as poor mouthed as our back half will be, it should be noted, that everybody plays that crap schedule. this year, there's just a significant line of demarcation that splits our schedule directly in half. and that line was crossed Saturday at about 8 pm EST.

it'd be nice if we could mix it up a little big and sprinkle in some of these back half games thru out.....instead of having those first 7 lumped all together.

but it is what it is. we're here, we're still in it, and every game we play is relevant from here on. which is all you can ask for. been a while since we've played games in late October and november that had conf implications.

It wasn't a criticism. It's just what is.

Said it about Georgia last year. Georgia won 10 games. They didn't beat anybody.

Right now, if you are a power team in the SEC East it is possible to win 9 or 10 games and not beat a ranked team.

It's not Tennessee's fault. Not Florida's fault either.

It just is. 3 cupcakes, Vandy, SC, Kentucky, Missouri is going to make any schedule look pretty poor. Add to that the fact that Georgia looks bad too and Florida is not exactly a juggernaut and it is what it is.

He just said on SEC now that Auburn is a real contender because they only have a loss to a good Clemson team and a tough A&M team.

BUT

This morning on Sirius ch. 84 he said how over rated Tennessee is after our loss to A&M and getting beat by a damn good Alabama team.

Does anyone else think this logic is asinine or is it just the homer in me?

He was a big Tennessee fan this offseason and after the "lucky" Florida and Georgia games. Even the TAMU game. I don't think we're overrated, just hurt really

As I read multiple threads, there are absolutely NO decent announcers nor commentators. Not even our guys, Bob and Tim. Only the announcing ghost of John Ward. C'mon now.

Said it about Georgia last year. Georgia won 10 games. They didn't beat anybody.

Right now, if you are a power team in the SEC East it is possible to win 9 or 10 games and not beat a ranked team.

It just is. 3 cupcakes, Vandy, SC, Kentucky, Missouri is going to make any schedule look pretty poor. Add to that the fact that Georgia looks bad too and Florida is not exactly a juggernaut and it is what it is.

ok, but i'll just say, if we do finish 10-2, make it to ATL, i feel pretty confident in saying we'll probably be a top 12-15 type team by season's end.

i don't think we go 10-2, and continue to fall in to the ranks of "also receiving votes" or worse.

from this point forward, all bets are off, i'm rooting for anything and everything that helps our cause.

and in the end, the rankings don't really matter if outside the top 6 by season's end.

and some really screwy things would have to happen for us to even be considered for it by season's end. to say it's a long shot, is an understatement. so i'm not too worried about it.

10 regular seasons. ATL. take our chances after that.

ok, but i'll just say, if we do finish 10-2, make it to ATL, i feel pretty confident in saying we'll probably be a top 12-15 type team by season's end.

i don't think we go 10-2, and continue to fall in to the ranks of "also receiving votes" or worse.

from this point forward, all bets are off, i'm rooting for anything and everything that helps our cause.

I think Tennessee finishes in the top 10

No offense OP but it's getting old hearing how any individual or media outlet that is critical hates us. In fairness, many of our own fanbase point out these same criticisms.

They are valid if one is comparing UT to title contenders.

We really needed Miss St as our other West team this year. I'll take anything I can get just to win the division and not sorry to admit it

Last edited:
You usually make rational posts that i agree with, however, there's no way a 10-2 East division winner finishes unranked. Just wouldn't happen.

?

I didn't say Tennessee won't be ranked. I said it is possible for all of the teams that Tennessee will have defeated to finish unranked.

Right now, in all honestly, only two teams have hope and that's Florida and Virginia Tech.

I don't think anyone else Tennessee has beaten, will beat, has a prayer of ending the season ranked.

Auburn didn't get their teeth kicked in by either of those teams like we did on Saturday.

They also haven't been playing 4th and 5tgh string linebackers and had about 50% of their starting defense out with injuries.

The one complaint I have after watching the game was the under utilization of Kamara. Kid blows up against a very good A&M team and he gets brushed to the side

?

I didn't say Tennessee won't be ranked. I said it is possible for all of the teams that Tennessee will have defeated to finish unranked.

Right now, in all honestly, only two teams have hope and that's Florida and Virginia Tech.

I don't think anyone else Tennessee has beaten, will beat, has a prayer of ending the season ranked.

Yeah...sorry. I was editing. Realized I misread your post. it's a real possibility. I'd take 10-2 without beating a ranked team after the last decade.

They also haven't been playing 4th and 5tgh string linebackers and had about 50% of their starting defense out with injuries.

The one complaint I have after watching the game was the under utilization of Kamara. Kid blows up against a very good A&M team and he gets brushed to the side

Even before the injuries Tennessee has played to the level of its opponents.

Reactions: 4 people
I like McElroy. I think he is one of the better commentators on ESPN/SECN

What crazy is hes right how did this oline lose all their physicality and use of leverage. I do think our oc has failed to tweak this offense since so many teams leave a dt over center and has taken away our ability to pull center on sweeps and off tackle plays

He just said on SEC now that Auburn is a real contender because they only have a loss to a good Clemson team and a tough A&M team.

BUT

This morning on Sirius ch. 84 he said how over rated Tennessee is after our loss to A&M and getting beat by a damn good Alabama team.

Does anyone else think this logic is asinine or is it just the homer in me?

Who cares, as long as we win out and fl loses one game.

VN Store

Back