McElroy hates Tennessee

There are what 6, 7 weeks left in the season. A lot of teams are going to lose.

Tennessee will get up in that top 10.

I would look at the injury situation in two weeks before I make any predictions. This team only had four serviceable interior DLs going into the season, and just lost two in the last week. OL needs to get some guys back too.

If those two units can't be patched up, all bets are off down the stretch. I could see 8-4 as a real possibility. This team is quickly resembling 2014 in terms of ability and experience.

I would look at the injury situation in two weeks before I make any predictions. This team only had four serviceable interior DLs going into the season, and just lost two in the last week. OL needs to get some guys back too.

If those two units can't be patched up, all bets are off down the stretch. I could see 8-4 as a real possibility. This team is quickly resembling 2014 in terms of ability and experience.

I'm not going to minimize how bad the injury situation is at Tennessee.

But, these teams in the bottom half of the SEC East are BAAAAAADDDDDDDDD.

Now, Vandy can play D. SC can play decent D. But, those are the only 2 units worth a crud.

The only concern is the injury situation combined with the tendency to sleep walk.

But, there'd have to be some serious sleep walkin.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not going to minimize how bad the injury situation is at Tennessee.

But, these teams in the bottom half of the SEC East are BAAAAAADDDDDDDDD.

Now, Vandy can play D. SC can play decent D. But, those are the only 2 units worth a crud.

The only concern is the injury situation combined with the tendency to sleep walk.

But, there'd have to be some serious sleep walkin.

My prediction? Tennessee loses one more to go 5-3, but Florida loses two more to go 5-3. Tennessee limps into Atlanta as a very weak East champion. Just like Florida did last year.

Tennessee has flashes of being a very good team, as you have pointed out previously. But, they have longer stretches where you just scratch your head.

Let's see, Struggle with App state ,thank goodness they missed a field goal. Got 5 fumbles from VTech, beat Florida's 2nd string QB, miracle win at Georgia. Barely beat Ohio..yeah we have been over rated!

Let's see, Struggle with App state ,thank goodness they missed a field goal. Got 5 fumbles from VTech, beat Florida's 2nd string QB, miracle win at Georgia. Barely beat Ohio..yeah we have been over rated!

I am afraid you might be right. The rest of the season will tell the truth on this team.

I like McElroy. I think he is one of the better commentators on ESPN/SECN

I have to say that I agree. Does a really nice job IMO. I think Vol homerism makes a few dislike him.

And as far as him pre-sesson stmt @ our OL. He is spot on. It was my #1 concern coming into the year, if we were going to make a title run. It has proven itself the weakest spot 7 games in. We needed at least "avg SEC" quality. Appy State answered that question week 1.

GM did his homework.

Pretty spot on IMO. PreSeason, Vol fans locked in so heavily to the 4 game gauntlet, that the idea became "we should roll through the last 5 games".

Well, we'll prob be favored in all 5. But with our decimated roster, I can see us easily dropping 1 of the SEC games. Two is even a slight possibility.

We've played down to every single weaker team this season. One bad play and a game like that becomes an L.

just remember these guys are just entertainers....if he could he would be in the NFL, apparently he can't!! Loser

Without the injuries we are 6-1 with a 21(at most) point loss to bama. The only reason 10-2 might suck is knowing that we had a chance to go to the playoffs, but b/c we were well below full strength we couldn't make it. If anything the defense has been more of the problem by the way. We are giving up a ton of yards. The defense just doesn't always claps in the clutch anymore so Shoop gets credit.

The defense has kept the team in games while the offense has slept walked through the first half of every game. And they are doing that with half the starters or more wiped out by injuries.

The other thing that's going to make McElroy's argument stronger will be as the season progresses...the losses that will begin to mount up for Va Tech, Florida, Georgia, etc.

I think it is possible that by the end of regular season, Tennessee will not have beaten a ranked team.

Florida and Georgia were both ranked when the vols beat them

Just like McElroy is hyping Auburn now (because they need still have to play Bama) he will again start hyping Tennessee in a few weeks after Florida loses because it will be apparent that Tennessee will be playing Bama in the SEC championship.

They always hype the teams Bama still has to play on their schedule. They sell the games.

Of course he does.

That said, he does have a point. You can't get blown out at home the way we did last weekend and expect to have respect. I think all the pieces (minus our injuries now) are there to field a darn good team. However, the product we have shown is inconsistent at best.

Alabama logic...Hey, why do Alabama graduates carry their degrees in their car...So they can park in the handicapped spaces!!!!

Auburn didn't get their teeth kicked in by either of those teams like we did on Saturday.

Is it worse to lose to two more talented teams, once of which is a blow out -OR- to lose close games to two lessor talented teams?

That's the difference between UT and Auburn, in order.

I would say it is far worse to get beat, closely, by teams that you should beat, than to lose by a larger margin against teams that you should lose to. But, that's just me.

Tennessee has consistently under jones gotten at least 2 games won under it's belt. There will be doubters' such as McElroy. He is a joke and shall always remain a joke. Regardless.. Tennessee, when we do win out can look back on a 10-2 reg season record. Whether we win the seccg or not 10-2 is still good. I yearn for more however.. With this offensive staff kinda hard to not be predictable. Only 5 basic plays as it seems... Can't wins championships with a half cocked OC.

Nor a Coach who allows his OC to be half cocked!!!

VN Store

Back