who's predicting a double digit win over UF

Not sure where you're getting the edges you gave to UF on OL, WR, LB.

FL is returning 46 starts from their worst OL in recent memory (46 sks, 127 rypg) so surely improved but obviously a year behind our OL development. UT edge.

WR is a wash, UT obviously has the more talent (albeit less production - tied into the QB) while UF has 1 very good WR, then some guys.

At LB UT has a potential 2nd round pick in JRM, Kirkland is even more talented, solid reserves, and high upside underclassmen. For UF, Davis is a preseason 1st team All American, there's a seemingly talented Anzalone but has played 22 tot. games as a SR (with 16 tckls), then a whole lot of unknown. UT edge.

At TE UT returns about 1000 tot yds from last 2Y, UF returns 200. UT edge.

DL, UT essentially loses no one, while UF loses their top 2 linemen. UT has also added a high profile guy in Kongbo, and gets Kyle Phillips back from injury. Loss of Shy hurts, but very well may be back for UF game. UT edge.

UF's only advantage is DB's, and the difference may not be that great.

This

I hate to break it to you but that was the Josh Dobbs show last year. He was a total stud, breaking tackles and making scramble plays. The o-line was extremely average. Hurd had a 21 yard run which actually padded his stats, without that he's like 2.8 ypc. Kamara was invisible.

Kamara got 6 touches...

Two rushers(Dobbs and Hurd) over 100 yds equals O-line being extremely above average...breaking it to ya..

Not sure where you're getting the edges you gave to UF on OL, WR, LB.

FL is returning 46 starts from their worst OL in recent memory (46 sks, 127 rypg) so surely improved but obviously a year behind our OL development. UT edge.

WR is a wash, UT obviously has the more talent (albeit less production - tied into the QB) while UF has 1 very good WR, then some guys.

At LB UT has a potential 2nd round pick in JRM, Kirkland is even more talented, solid reserves, and high upside underclassmen. For UF, Davis is a preseason 1st team All American, there's a seemingly talented Anzalone but has played 22 tot. games as a SR (with 16 tckls), then a whole lot of unknown. UT edge.

At TE UT returns about 1000 tot yds from last 2Y, UF returns 200. UT edge.

DL, UT essentially loses no one, while UF loses their top 2 linemen. UT has also added a high profile guy in Kongbo, and gets Kyle Phillips back from injury. Loss of Shy hurts, but very well may be back for UF game. UT edge.

UF's only advantage is DB's, and the difference may not be that great.

This by a ton. Florida has no quality depth on defense, QB, WR, TE or OL. Their first string is okay but a few injuries could put them back at 5-6 wins.

Huh? Not following you. Tons of experience amongst these guys: Cox, Jefferson, Brantley, Sherit, Ivie, Bryan, over multiple seasons. That's 6 guys. Less experience, but plenty of reps in SEC play for Clark and Davis. That's 8. If you're looking for huge stats from Clark, you wont see it. He's about 6'2" 330lbs. He's a run-stuffer type, plugs holes and keeps people off the LB's. Same for Taven Bryan. Then two RS freshmen guys who the coaches think will be killers; Ancrum and Zuniga. Then the 5-star true freshman DE. So, go ahead and think UF's D-line is scrub city. You'll be one of the ones scratching your head from the stands looking like a complete dope in total shock when the game is 20-17 with 2 minutes left.

I think you have a solid first unit and a ton of unproven/unproductive back-ups. I didn't call them a sack of potatoes. Just not anywhere near Florida standard.

This by a ton. Florida has no quality depth on defense, QB, WR, TE or OL. Their first string is okay but a few injuries could put them back at 5-6 wins.

You're setting yourself up to be shocked. Florida is better than last year, by a mile.

I think the winner of UF-UT plays in Atlanta. I think UGA is going to be average at best.

Reactions: 1 person
You're setting yourself up to be shocked. Florida is better than last year, by a mile.

I think the winner of UF-UT plays in Atlanta. I think UGA is going to be average at best.

Offense will be in between 1st half O from LY and 2nd half. Unproven QB, couple of good receiving targets, Taylor gone but Thompson could be a 1000 rusher, & an average OL. Should average around 25 ppg.

Defense will be about at good as last year. If a top LB, DB, or DL goes down with injury, may shake it up. Not a whole lot of depth.

You're setting up to be disappointed. I'll break it down for you this weekend when I have time.

Florida returns all but one starter too, and I think David Sharpe and Martez Ivey are the best two o-linemen on either team. When these teams played head to head last year, minus out the trick play pass to Dobbs and a few long broken play runs by Dobbs, UT did very little. Their best offensive plays had to do with Dobbs' athleticism and a heckuva call on a trick play, not the o-line. Hurd was pedestrian, averaged 3.6 yards per carry, Kamara 3.2. UF's Kelvin Taylor averaged 5.4 yards per carry and remember on the Callaway TD, the UF freshmen on the o-line gave Grier about an hour to make a play.

I stand by my UF pick.

Kelvin Taylor busted the one early run for 47 yards when Tennessee's DC stubbornly started and played a walkon at MLB. Other than that one big play, Taylor did nothing.....18 carries for 55 yards...3.05 ypc.

The reason Grier had time on the last play, the game-winning 4th down conversion to Callaway, is because we dropped back into the equivalent of a prevent defense with a spy so we pretty much rendered 2 of our defensive players useless. The play before, when we applied pressure and were aggressive, Barnett nearly broke Grier in two....your freshmen OL were nowhere to be found on that play. Our scheme significantly aided in helping you guys pull off that play.

As far as you thinking your 2 guys are better than any of ours.....of course you do, you're a Gators fan. At the end of the day it doesn't matter....what matters more is how well and how cohesively the guys play together. Neither of us knows definitively. I'll tell you this though....your OL looked like absolute crap a few weeks later when you played lowly Vandie....it was a jailbreak all day, on your way to 9 big points. Didn't look like they were exactly developing either vs Florida Atlantic late in the season.

Meanwhile, we hung 52 on Vandy and ran for more yards vs Bama than any other team they played last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

There's a reason why Tennessee is considered a top 10 football team this year and Florida is not. We return the most starters in the SEC, and our two deep is littered with future NFL stars. Florida has a decent set of starters, but there's virtually no depth beyond them.

Even nearly all experts expect the Vols to take this one, and it's been a long time since we've been in a position to say that going into a match up with Florida. As a matter of fact, the only folks who have given Florida much of a chance to win are Florida homers such as yourself. Aside from a "mental block" Florida has little to no advantages against Team 120.

OL - UT
QB - UT
RB - UT
WR - Even
DL - UT slight edge
LB - Even
DB - UF

It's time to come to terms with the fact that the streak comes to an end in September. The sooner you can acknowledge that, the better off you'll be when the clock hits 0:00 and The Vols have more points than the Gators. Go Vols!

Huh? Not following you. Tons of experience amongst these guys: Cox, Jefferson, Brantley, Sherit, Ivie, Bryan, over multiple seasons. That's 6 guys. Less experience, but plenty of reps in SEC play for Clark and Davis. That's 8. If you're looking for huge stats from Clark, you wont see it. He's about 6'2" 330lbs. He's a run-stuffer type, plugs holes and keeps people off the LB's. Same for Taven Bryan. Then two RS freshmen guys who the coaches think will be killers; Ancrum and Zuniga. Then the 5-star true freshman DE. So, go ahead and think UF's D-line is scrub city. You'll be one of the ones scratching your head from the stands looking like a complete dope in total shock when the game is 20-17 with 2 minutes left.

The fact remains that Tennessee has more talent on the defensive front than Florida does. There's no way to spin that. Tennessee averages about 4 stars per player. Florida is in the low 3's as far as their average goes. Tennessee also has one of the best D-Line coaches in the country.

Y'all are letting Compagnucci troll you, hard.

DC keeps talking about how it was the Dobbs show last year. Great, Dobbs is back this year. We're better on both sides of the ball, whereas Florida had some key losses. I'm not worried.

The fact remains that Tennessee has more talent on the defensive front than Florida does. There's no way to spin that. Tennessee averages about 4 stars per player. Florida is in the low 3's as far as their average goes. Tennessee also has one of the best D-Line coaches in the country.

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, but this is what makes it fun being a fan. Don't take my word for it, take this; Florida has two DL on preseason All-SEC teams (Cox and Jefferson), UT has one (Barnett). And the surprising thing is, UF folks will tell you Caleb Brantley is the most dominating D-lineman on the team, in the mold of Dominique Easley. Recruiting stars are irrelevant, but we'll go there too since you said something about UF's "3-stars". UF's projected starters, stars according to Rivals:
Jefferson - 5 star
Brantley - 4 star
Ivie - 4 star
Cox Jr - 3 star
Ironically, Cox was the lowest rated but has probably been the most dominant v UT. I know he has 3 or 4 sacks v UT in the games he's played, several hurries, a big fumble recovery last year (nearly returned for a td). UF's depth players were also highly rated: Sherit - 4 star, Clark - 4 star, Clayton - 5 star.

This stuff is easily verifiable, just go look. Feeling great about your team is awesome, but here's what so many fans dont get: many teams have good/great players. Many teams have awesome weight rooms and players who work out like madmen. So for every dude on your team has that looks like a beast, there are about 9 other teams in the league with dudes who look exactly like that.

UT has great players, and definitely has a shot this year. So does Florida.

Y'all are letting Compagnucci troll you, hard.

DC keeps talking about how it was the Dobbs show last year. Great, Dobbs is back this year. We're better on both sides of the ball, whereas Florida had some key losses. I'm not worried.

Dobbs is the truth. Total stud last year, I left that game shaking my head at how unexpectedly good he was. Not once did the o-line wow me, not once. Hurd was impressive too, but a little too lumbering and mechanical. UF didn't lose much of anything on offense, maybe Demarcus Robinson at WR would be considered a loss, but that dude was a no-show in 3 years v UT and a no-show in a lot of big games. Taylor's depature at RB is offset by adding Thompson. Most importantly, they now have multiple QB's in the mix who fit Mac's system. The defense definitely lost some horses, but horses took their place. Lost Morrison at LB but get Anzalone back and Jarrad Davis stayed. Lost Hargreaves at CB but have Wilson and Tabor, both future 1st rounders. Lost Neal at safety but Maye stayed. Lost Bullard on the DL but DL is deep and talented.

Nonetheless, I'm not dissing UT, this is the year where they MUST live up to the hype, and finally a year where I agree the hype is warranted.

You are giving Dobbs wayyyyyy to much credit.

Dobbs = Treon. Load the line and make him throw the ball.

That's just stupid....absolutely stupid, and I guarantee you the other regular Florida posters on here, who are all actually pretty widely respected on VN, would say the same. Dobbs ain't Watson or Kelly throwing the ball to be sure, but he's light years ahead of Harris as an SEC QB.

Treon harris was one of the worst QBs in the SEC in 20 years. Dobbs will likely be first team all-SEC. End of discussion.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back