Another reason Clemson sucks

What is sad is the missed opportunity for a tremendous story about a kid overcoming a big obstacle. This is pretty crappy.

Football is a business. I'm sure a lot of laid off factory workers have kids that they lie awake at night wondering how to support.

Doesn't make it right. Just how it is.

This is pitiful. Never liked Tommy or any of the Bowden's for that matter. I know it is a business but now and then the schools might want to act human. Just to shake things up a bit and prove they aren't total jerks.

Like the article pointed out, one scholarship is not going to make or break a program. Yeah they might not have three or four players in depth at another position but now they have lost the feel good story of the year. I do hope this kid gets a chance somewhere else. You wouldn't just be helping to improve one life but two. Way to go Bowden.

I see what you mean OWH but this just seems different. He pulled his brother out of a bad situation and tried to help him make something of himself. He did a very honorable thing, one that most his age would not have done, and is now left out in the cold.

I hope all the good press Clemson got from this story in the beginning is turned around on them. Don't think it won't be talked about come recruiting time.

Football is a business. I'm sure a lot of laid off factory workers have kids that they lie awake at night wondering how to support.

Doesn't make it right. Just how it is.

He plays college football. He is getting an education at a University. The classroom extends far from the walls, and all that young man was taught was, people are crappy. Great life lesson, sad sircumstance.

I see what you mean OWH but this just seems different. He pulled his brother out of a bad situation and tried to help him make something of himself. He did a very honorable thing, one that most his age would not have done, and is now left out in the cold.

I hope all the good press Clemson got from this story in the beginning is turned around on them. Don't think it won't be talked about come recruiting time.
Look at it another way maybe PJ...

It's not like Clemson won't provide every resource(loans, grants) for this guy to finish his degree and have a chance in the rest of his life. Plus, the trust set up to help the kid is not going away, and will continue to provide a line of support for a couple of very deserving people.

It could be worse is all I'm saying. And in millions of cases, it is.

He plays college football. He is getting an education at a University. The classroom extends far from the walls, and all that young man was taught was, people are crappy. Great life lesson, sad sircumstance.

While I agree that it does lose some of those good feelings to know that it didn't work out exactly like the kid would have wanted it to, but if I'm not mistaken he has already graduated and been offered a GA position with the team. Not exactly the "left out in the cold" impression that the story gives.

While I agree that it does lose some of those good feelings to know that it didn't work out exactly like the kid would have wanted it to, but if I'm not mistaken he has already graduated and been offered a GA position with the team. Not exactly the "left out in the cold" impression that the story gives.
I didn't know that...

I hadn't even thought about Clemson since the early 1980s until they started shutting off the valve on the Vols' SC pipeline the past few years. Let's see how fast other BCS conference schools fall over themselves to offer this kid a scholarship.

I didn't know that...

Slight correction, will graduate this summer but has been offered GA after that.

From The Post and Courier:

CLEMSON — Ray Ray McElrath*bey won’t be on football scholar*ship at Clemson after August, but he will have an opportunity to help pay for graduate school by work*ing in the school’s athletic depart*ment.

According to sports informa*t ion director Tim Bourret, athletic director Terry Don Phil*lips has present*ed McElrathbey with an option to be a graduate assistant after his planned graduation this sum*mer. In exchange for his work, McElrathbey would receive money for tuition and books.

Look at it another way maybe PJ...

It's not like Clemson won't provide every resource(loans, grants) for this guy to finish his degree and have a chance in the rest of his life. Plus, the trust set up to help the kid is not going away, and will continue to provide a line of support for a couple of very deserving people.

It could be worse is all I'm saying. And in millions of cases, it is.

True and it said he's no longer on the team so anyone can pay his tuition now. :)

I have no doubt a young man like that will land on his feet.

Slight correction, will graduate this summer but has been offered GA after that.

CLEMSON — Ray Ray McElrath*bey won’t be on football scholar*ship at Clemson after August, but he will have an opportunity to help pay for graduate school by work*ing in the school’s athletic depart*ment.

According to sports informa*t ion director Tim Bourret, athletic director Terry Don Phil*lips has present*ed McElrathbey with an option to be a graduate assistant after his planned graduation this sum*mer. In exchange for his work, McElrathbey would receive money for tuition and books.

That does change my opinion. They are trying to do right by the kid. Anyone who is doing what he has done deserves it.

So it sounds like the whole thing was blown out of proportion and Clemson is actually doing right by this guy.

Well, I suppose I should have done a little more research before posting...err. Still think Clemson sucks though.

Still think Clemson sucks though.

Don't get me wrong, no argument from me there, but I heard this story a couple of days ago and initially reacted the same way most people here did. I soon heard the rest of the story and didn't feel as strongly. Really the only thing that is upsetting to the kid is that he doesn't get to play on the team anymore. I don't think his financial situation is going to be altered much at all.

VN Store

Back