Biopsy's airline gripe thread

Seeing these complaints, I have to quote Louis CK:

"Oh my god, really? What happened then, did you fly through the air like a bird, incredibly? Did you soar into the clouds, impossibly? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight and then land softly on giant tires that you couldn't even conceive how they ******* put air in them?...You're sitting in a chair in the sky. You're like a Greek myth right now."

Reactions: 6 people
I haven't flown enough to experience these issues. Every time I've flown, I've flown brief southwest flights.

...and if the gate agent says to gate-check bags or your bag is too large, for crying out loud, LISTEN TO THEM!

It sucks how people just don't care. We had a big delay, and the gate agent was asking people to gate check carry-ons if at all possible to expedite boarding and exiting the plane so 15 people could hopefully make connections that were going to be very tight. She was asking for at least 20 people. She got 3. The rest stared at her like she had grown a pecker on her forehead.

Which brings me to another annoyance: people stretching the definition of carry-on. They'll sit there trying to cram a bag into the overhead that's a good 3 or 4 inches past fitting, all while they clog the aisle.

Look, I realize baggage fees are crap. But rather than try to pack for your 10 day stay in a tiny 3 day bag that results in an overstuffed bag that won't fit any damn where, just pay the $25 bucks and go on with your life.

The show MythBusters did an episode where they tested plane boarding scenarios to discover which was quickest and most efficient. Ironically, the free-for-all was the quickest in their test. I'm dubious. I cannot figure out why Airlines do not board back to front, window to aisle after first class seating is finished. It seems like that would be the quickest and most efficient process.

Personally I'd rather be the last person on. I hate waiting for the plane to take off. The less time in the plane the better iyam.

Reactions: 3 people
Seeing these complaints, I have to quote Louis CK:

"Oh my god, really? What happened then, did you fly through the air like a bird, incredibly? Did you soar into the clouds, impossibly? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight and then land softly on giant tires that you couldn't even conceive how they ******* put air in them?...You're sitting in a chair in the sky. You're like a Greek myth right now."

Yeah, but this thread is less about airplanes and airline services and more about ******* customers.

Reactions: 1 person
A couple of years ago I was waiting to board a plane. It appeared to be a full flight and I noticed a woman with a screaming baby and thought to myself, I pity the person that has to sit next to her.

Guess what? Woman and crying baby sat down right next to me. I was dreading the next 2 hours. Turned out the baby calmed down and the woman was the spouse of a Navy fighter pilot going to his first deployment and she was traveling to meet him.

We had a good talk on the flight and I enjoyed sitting with her.

So it's not always bad. Mostly, just not always.

Things I love about flying... Looking out at the world below...Two thousand mile, 2-3 day driving trips taking 5-6 hours. Yeah I think griping about flying is stupid, but then I don't get to deal with it enough to take it for granted.

Things I love about flying... Looking out at the world below...Two thousand mile, 2-3 day driving trips taking 5-6 hours. Yeah I think griping about flying is stupid, but then I don't get to deal with it enough to take it for granted.

It's definitely a matter of perspective. The worst experience flying usually still beats driving 500 miles.

It's definitely a matter of perspective. The worst experience flying usually still beats driving 500 miles.

Yep..we are taking a trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone next year for 6 days. Sucks we have to waste 4 days driving, but we have to take too much stuff to fly. You basically have to pack for winter and summer conditions in early June. I love the drive once you get to west Nebraska. But the 1200 miles before that is meh. At least I don't have to drive most of the way like last time. The kids and their spouses can handle that while I sleep in the back row of the passenger van :)

Yep..we are taking a trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone next year for 6 days. Sucks we have to waste 4 days driving, but we have to take too much stuff to fly. You basically have to pack for winter and summer conditions in early June. I love the drive once you get to west Nebraska. But the 1200 miles before that is meh. At least I don't have to drive most of the way like last time. The kids and their spouses can handle that while I sleep in the back row of the passenger van :)

We are going for 10 days altogether. Six days on site and four days driving. Just wanted to clarify that. There us no way in hell I'd drive that far just to spend two days there.

we went out there 2 years ago and just shipped our gear UPS to the hotel so we didn't have to bother with it at the airport. Worked like a charm.

we went out there 2 years ago and just shipped our gear UPS to the hotel so we didn't have to bother with it at the airport. Worked like a charm.

I've thought about doing that, but the kids want to drive. Also I'm extremely paranoid about shipping my things like that. My luck it would end up in Jackson Mississippi, instead of Jackson Wyoming. That would be a disaster. We are also on a tight budget, we po. :)

I tried to do that once with our bags going to Europe but couldnt. We were going to Germany with a stop over in London before we got there. I had the bright idea to send them Fed Ex/UPS/DHL etc... Problem was that when I priced it out it was going to be about $1500. Not worth it for a two day layover.

I like the old guy heading to the can with a magazine tucked under him arm during turbulence

Depending on what kind of magazine it is, the turbulence may be an asset.

VN Store

Back