Sweeping Sexual Assault Suit Filed Against UT

no poll

• Total voters
Is this a question or statement? I read it like three times, in three different voices.

You have issues with seeing question marks at the end of sentences? I was wondering if anyone knew what the normal protocol is for a police department when something like this happens. I would assume that the very first thing a police department would do in a case like this, would be to investigate the scene where the alleged crime took place.

You have issues with seeing question marks at the end of sentences? I was wondering if anyone knew what the normal protocol is for a police department when something like this happens. I would assume that the very first thing a police department would do in a case like this, would be to investigate the scene where the alleged crime took place.

In general, the sentence should have started with "Is it" instead of "It is".

While your "It is" does work. It is unknown that it works until you reach the end of the sentence and actually see the question mark. Using "Is it" from the beginning shows the reader that it in fact it is a question from the very beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

And that's just what they did. It takes more than a minute to get a search warrant written and signed.

Reactions: 1 person
Was listening to 92.9 the game in Atlanta and they brought this up and were convinced that Butch Jones is going to get fired, and went on about how this could shake things up in the east. What asses.

Those guys are absolutely clueless, especially the afternoon guys. During the whole Butch-Jones-Jim-Harbaugh, they were yukking it up and going on and on about how great Harbaugh is. They suckle at the teet of UGA and fawn over their beat writers, and whenever they invite those writers on the air, the little time they devote to Tennessee is to degrade them and assure themselves that they can't possibly win the East this year.

They're excellent for discussion about the Hawks, though.

In general, the sentence should have started with "Is it" instead of "It is".

While your "It is" does work. It is unknown that it works until you reach the end of the sentence and actually see the question mark. Using "Is it" from the beginning shows the reader that it in fact a question from the very beginning.

Derp.....I just reread what I posted.......should have read "Is it"

Here is a good piece from ex-Tennessean David Climer

The Nashville Ledger

Very good article. Thanks!

"In the court of public opinion, you don’t settle unless you did something wrong. If UT settles, many would assume the university actually did create a culture of rape – even if the terms of the settlement included no admission of guilt."

"For starters, that is the nature of such lawsuits. The allegations of wrongdoing provide the first wave of coverage in the media. On top of that, there is a cozy relationship between the plaintiffs’ attorneys and some in the media, which has affected the nature of the reporting, some of which has been far, far over the top."

"Paying an out-of-court settlement will not make those perceptions go away. The only way to do it is to confront the charges in a courtroom, not in the court of public opinion."

Reactions: 8 people
And that's just what they did. It takes more than a minute to get a search warrant written and signed.

But contact the head coach before they investigate? Just sounds a little odd to do. If someone files a charge against me, do they give my boss a call and let them know they are about to get a search warrant and investigate?

Reactions: 2 people
But contact the head coach before they investigate? Just sounds a little odd to do. If someone files a charge against me, do they give my boss a call and let them know they are about to get a search warrant and investigate?

I get what you are saying. But DeBusk just said that has been their standard practice to alert the coach of an accusation, so the coach wouldn't hear about it from the media first. I doubt he would have said they were getting a warrant or given him any specifics. Just a heads-up. Probably shouldn't be the practice anymore this day-and-age, I agree. Every public figure is under the microscope, while the media vultures are just waiting for a slip-up.

Reactions: 3 people
Does anybody think there was ever a hint of a cover up in the AJ-Williams case?
Heck No. Immediate suspension which ended careers of both players. Near immediate search warrant issued.
Very thorough investigation. Felony charges brought. Jury trial to be held.
Incident took place at an off campus apartment complex.
What else could have been done?

Reactions: 5 people
Very good article. Thanks!

"In the court of public opinion, you don’t settle unless you did something wrong. If UT settles, many would assume the university actually did create a culture of rape – even if the terms of the settlement included no admission of guilt."

"For starters, that is the nature of such lawsuits. The allegations of wrongdoing provide the first wave of coverage in the media. On top of that, there is a cozy relationship between the plaintiffs’ attorneys and some in the media, which has affected the nature of the reporting, some of which has been far, far over the top."

"Paying an out-of-court settlement will not make those perceptions go away. The only way to do it is to confront the charges in a courtroom, not in the court of public opinion."

This is not true with the proper nondisclosure provisions and incentives. You can make lawsuits go away without the public knowing much. I'm not saying that is what UT should have or shouldn't have done. I'm just saying Clymer is wrong as usual.

The odd part to me is that law enforcement called Butch "hours before" they searched the apartment (according to the article). If you're a defense attorney, you're gonna be all over that.

If you are suggesting that it was to give Butch time to send a "cleaning crew", either he didn't or they really need to find better help because the defendants didn't manage to "lose" the electronic devices like the accusers did. Who knows - the cops just might have sprinkled some of that magic police tape across the doors when they made the arrests, so that the place could be investigated properly later by the real investigating crew. You could just as well argue that a supposed failure to secure the place could have allowed someone to plant incriminating evidence, too.

First, Butch has a pretty good relationship with the KPD, I believe. Being a former cop's son, Butch has reached out to them pretty early in his tenure here.

Second, I would suspect the chief of the Baton Rouge police would contact Miles immediately if **** went down at their captain's apt. Same for Gainesville, South Bend, Columbus, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Mich. Id bet it would happen in Nashville with metro police and Vandy....

So far nothing has come out that should even remotely place CBJ in jeopardy. Im sick of this political correctness bull ****....

Agree on getting a new cleaning crew...I recall that the police found a used condom. Hell, you'd think Johnson himself would have flushed it immediately afterwards...yuck

Last edited:
Those guys are absolutely clueless, especially the afternoon guys. During the whole Butch-Jones-Jim-Harbaugh, they were yukking it up and going on and on about how great Harbaugh is. They suckle at the teet of UGA and fawn over their beat writers, and whenever they invite those writers on the air, the little time they devote to Tennessee is to degrade them and assure themselves that they can't possibly win the East this year.

They're excellent for discussion about the Hawks, though.

Yeah they are awful at anything non related to professional sports, but they are great with the Hawks, mainly because they actually cover the Hawks and talk about them.

I think the most interesting thing about the article is this...

William “Bill” Ramsey, who is representing UT, is a partner at the firm. Ramsey was hired by the university on June 18, 2015.

Here is a good piece from ex-Tennessean David Climer

The Nashville Ledger

Thanks. Climer never seemed to write favorable articles regarding the Vols while he worked for the Tennessean; however, his tone in this article sounds like even he disagrees with the way the Tennessean has reported on the case - in particular, the comment regarding the "cozy relationship between the plaintiffs’ attorneys and some in the media."

Reactions: 4 people
There's a thread on Volquest claiming posts from their message board are being used in lawsuit filings by the plaintiffs. Does anyone have access to the filings? I would like to see if any thing from Volnation was in there.

I think its probably to show that Knoxville was too biased.
However, I wonder how much of their overall case was based on message board fodder. How thin is their case?
If they used any of my posts, they have no case at all.

Reactions: 3 people
There's a thread on Volquest claiming posts from their message board are being used in lawsuit filings by the plaintiffs. Does anyone have access to the filings? I would like to see if any thing from Volnation was in there.

I think its probably to show that Knoxville was too biased.
However, I wonder how much of their overall case was based on message board fodder. How thin is their case?
If they used any of my posts, they have no case at all.

That makes sense. Because all our fans are in Knoxville and none in Nashville. They have no case and are trying to make an illusion of fire with lots of smoke.

Reactions: 6 people
Thanks. Climer never seemed to write favorable articles regarding the Vols while he worked for the Tennessean; however, his tone in this article sounds like even he disagrees with the way the Tennessean has reported on the case - in particular, the comment regarding the "cozy relationship between the plaintiffs’ attorneys and some in the media."

Yes, he's been controversial for sure, but I think you are right about him calling them out for that.

That makes sense. Because all our fans are in Knoxville and none in Nashville. They have no case and are trying to make an illusion of fire with lots of smoke.

I'm just curious why the message board posts were in there. Are they being used as evidence of something? What could they possibly prove? Does someone have a link to the actual documents?

Also, someone tell me what the thread on Volquest says. I don't have a subscription.

VN Store

Back