Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
TD my drunk asssss

Can see that

You're wife is smokin' Volatil and it's good to see that the liqour is flowing with you tonight.

If we get the Outback Bowl bid lets get a bunch of people together to crash your in laws place. I'll provode all the insanity you can handle :)

With Missouri's loss, they miss out on a bowl for the first time since 2004, they went 5-6. This is USCe worst season since Holtz first season in 1999 (0-11,0-8). Starting to feel like old times.

All 7 teams in the west will go to a bowl and only 3 in the east (maybe 4 if KY beats Louisville). The SEC may not be able to fill all 10 bowl spots if bammer goes to the playoffs.

My dad went to UT in the late 70s and has ALWAYS pronounced Neyland as "Nayland" he whenever I tell him he's wrong, he says "when I was there everyone said it like that"

Wtf

My dad went to UT in the late 70s and has ALWAYS pronounced Neyland as "Nayland" he whenever I tell him he's wrong, he says "when I was there everyone said it like that"

Wtf

IIRC, that's how it's actually supposed to be pronounced. I could be completely wrong but I seem to recall Neyland's daughter addressing her last name's pronunciation in an interview and how it kind of irked her and the family that everyone said it wrong.

IIRC, that's how it's actually supposed to be pronounced. I could be completely wrong but I seem to recall Neyland's daughter addressing her last name's pronunciation in an interview and how it kind of irked her and the family that everyone said it wrong.

Always heard it Nayland growing up (I'm 51), but I tought it was his wife in an interview that tapped her knee and said Neyland.

Reactions: 1 person
I smoked a 25lbs yesterday which was pretty dang good if I may day so. Love my egg.

Maybe one of the best purchases I ever made. Used Christmas money last year and bought it, as we needed a new grill desperately. This year, I think I will use Christmas money to buy all of the accessories that I want. :)

I think she actually said the opposite, that's its supposed to be KNEE-land. IIRC.

Reactions: 3 people
I heard a John Ward interview one time and he said his first game he said "Nay-land" and was immediately corrected by co-workers and told the family pronounced it "knee-land".

My dad is in his late 50's and he grew up saying Nay-land as well. Don't really hear too many people use that pronunciation anymore.

74 appears to enjoy stirring the board up every couple of weeks, and then disappears for a while.

I saw where NEOCON stated that he made a call and it was untrue. What's his stats? I normally shrug off comments like this, but Vol74 has been pretty accurate with everything he/she posts.

Maybe one of the best purchases I ever made. Used Christmas money last year and bought it, as we needed a new grill desperately. This year, I think I will use Christmas money to buy all of the accessories that I want. :)

Sounds great. I'm looking at the remote temp monitor for my stocking this year.

On the knee-lun..nay-lun topic...some of that has to do with how people hear those of us that have a more pronounced twang I think,and John Ward always said Knee-lun. That is good enough for me.

It's definitely supposed to be Knee-Land. My dad who also graduated from UT in the 70's also says Nay-Land most of the time. I always say it as Knee but sometimes read it in my head as Nay. Who knows..

On the knee-lun..nay-lun topic...some of that has to do with how people hear those of us that have a more pronounced twang I think,and John Ward always said Knee-lun. That is good enough for me.

Somebody called this a.m and mentioned knowing Gen. “NAY-land” while they both served in Calcutta in the 1940s. No one corrected him, but we’ll try to set the record straight.
That gives us pause to mention that the name is actually Gen. “KNEE-land.” So is the name of the four-lane boulevard behind the south end of Neyland Stadium.
How do we know that?
It’s easy. The name is thusly pronounced according to two family “experts,” Mrs. Neyland, Ada Fitch Neyland formally, but Peggy to her closest friends, and son, Bob, as he’s shared with any number of people across the years.
To emphasize her point to UT’s Charles Brakebill, the development guru who worked with her on the Neyland Scholarship program back in the early 1960s, Mrs. Neyland heard him say the family name as “NAY-land” and let him in on a little secret.
She stood on one leg, patted her knee, and said it’s “KNEE-land,” “like my knee.” That apparently settled that, at least for Brakebill.
Young Bob Neyland also had an opinion expressed in a letter to the Tennessean, Nashville’s morning newspaper. It won a “three-star” designation from the newspaper’s editorial board.
“Our family has always pronounced our name ‘Neyland,’” he wrote. “My father was a very private person, despite a very public position. He had a fairly small circle of close friends, who knew the correct pronunciation. Newspaper and radio journalists called him ‘Nay-land.’”
John Ward, ever mindful of these things, said it more succinctly: “Neyland told me it was ‘KNEE-land.’”
Whichever person you might believe, it is still “KNEE-land.”
And don’t you forget it.

Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back