Game Thread Lady Vols vs Syracuse

hmmm. Production and performance, starting five...

Reynolds
Cooper
Jones
Graves
Russell

Hmmm, Reynolds and Jones are inconsistent and each has extremely low basketball IQ. I'd go with DeShields (the rust will melt away and hopefully her health will improve) and Dunbar. Both can be weapons. Reynolds plays out of control too often, and she can't even hit a layup. My heart drops every time Jones dribbles into the paint. Neither deserves to start and really should only spell a few minutes each half unless they develop more consistency and bb intelligence.

Reactions: 1 person
Except, there are reasonable explanations for these games being close. Did you ever stop to consider the fact that the Lady Vols have played three games in less than a week? Sometimes there are going to be close games. That's what makes the game exciting. If your team wins, be grateful and move on.

This problem is bigger than tonight and three games. This is a 3-4 year problem.

Actually after seeing both Penn State and Syracuse play, they both will win more games than they lose and both should make the tournament.

I would be willing to mortgage the house that Penn State doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year. You do realize that they won all of 6 games last year. They would have to win at least 20 this year to advance to the NCAA's out of the Big Ten. Maryland, Iowa, Ohio St, Northwestern,
Rutgers, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan all won 20 or more games last year. The BigTen got 7 bids last year. Which 2 teams is Penn State beating out ?

Hmmm, Reynolds and Jones are inconsistent and each has extremely low basketball IQ. I'd go with DeShields (the rust will melt away and hopefully her health will improve) and Dunbar. Both can be weapons. Reynolds plays out of control too often, and she can't even hit a layup. My heart drops every time Jones dribbles into the paint. Neither deserves to start and really should only spell a few minutes each half unless they develop more consistency and bb intelligence.

Glad your not the coach, 3 games into the season, here you stay the same, players have to play, through the good and bad, especially when the good outweighs the bad, especially if they are your competitors...

Jasmine had two turnovers, two blocks...12 points 5-9 shooting, in 17 minutes, that says more minutes.

Reynolds, needs to move more without the ball, she's learning how to play basketball, without the ball being in her hand most of the time, our team has the potential to be.... so excited...

I didn't say very good, I said good, solid! We can get so much better, wow three games into the season and fire the coach, the team sucks... and we're 3-0, with a Freshman point guard. Go Lady Vols.

You are right. You did say solid. Ivy said very good. But I did not say the team sucks or fire the coach. I said I hope CHW proves me wrong, but so far she has not gotten the most out of the talent she has.

I would be willing to mortgage the house that Penn State doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year. You do realize that they won all of 6 games last year. They would have to win at least 20 this year to advance to the NCAA's out of the Big Ten. Maryland, Iowa, Ohio St, Northwestern,
Rutgers, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan all won 20 or more games last year. The BigTen got 7 bids last year. Which 2 teams is Penn State beating out ?

The Lady Vols are 3-0 and 1-0 versus a ranked opponent. Penn State and Cuse played us tough, **** they might win another game, but we are and/or still be everyone's Big Game. And we have another big game coming up.

Russell is playing like one of the top five centers in the game, and Graves is playing like one the top five PF and that makes me smile.... Can so mo ladies please step, up?

Cooper is our best guard as a Freshman, come on Reynolds, Diamond, Carter, Meme, Jones, ...

Same song, second verse. If either game had been played on the road, they lose.

The LV cast of characters is strong from a talent and conditioning standpoint. The system stinks. They stand around for 15-20 seconds with a double post that doesn't switch or set picks or screens. They don't make 3's so nobody will come out to contend the ball, so they can double down on Mercedes. She doesn't want then running a transition offense, yet, that is the style most of her roster wants to play. Have no idea what Holly is doing and thinking - but she has a mess on her hands with the offense. There is no continuity on offense at all. Then you add in they are awful at shooting the ball from anywhere on the court. They are also getting out hustled to the ball and rebounds frequently. Time to rethink this IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
If this was such a "big" problem, Holly wouldn't have one of the best win-loss records in all of women's basketball.

Take a look at what was handed her. I know she served as an assistant for Pat.
I have never said fire her, but this year with this talent is make or break. If it does not improve recruiting and attendance will suffer.

TN Lady Vol BB is not about squeaking out wins again 40-100 ranked teams.

Same song, second verse. If either game had been played on the road, they lose.

The LV cast of characters is strong from a talent and conditioning standpoint. The system stinks. They stand around for 15-20 seconds with a double post that doesn't switch or set picks or screens. They don't make 3's so nobody will come out to contend the ball, so they can double down on Mercedes. She doesn't want then running a transition offense, yet, that is the style most of her roster wants to play. Have no idea what Holly is doing and thinking - but she has a mess on her hands with the offense. There is no continuity on offense at all. Then you add in they are awful at shooting the ball from anywhere on the court. They are also getting out hustled to the ball and rebounds frequently. Time to rethink this IMO.

Strong analysis

She don't want to get it out of them this early in the season, its still a long season, we just need to see our team get better each game, our gurls couldn't shoot the rock tonite, but they still played defense and got turnovers when it mattered, and found a way to win.

They dont have to be Championship ready now, but we do want to see consistency in the things we do, and based on two games Russell and Graves, have been our most productive and efficient players.

I have never said fire her, but this year with this talent is make or break.

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that you are in charge of something here.

TN Lady Vol BB is not about squeaking out wins again 40-100 ranked teams.

Except that Lady Vol basketball is still basketball, and sometimes basketball is about squeaking out wins against lesser teams.

Nobody here is unhappy about being 3-0. It's how they got there and who it was against that is the problem. These last two teams shouldn't have been within 15-20 points of the Lady Vols at home. That's the problem but you are correct, 3-0 is better than the alternative.

Am I the only person that's happy we are 3 and 0?

I'm an engineering and mathematics guy from way back (I mean way back). I was taught to focus on the process. If you have a good process the end result will take care of itself. If all you focus on is the end result, you'll eventually have poor results.

Sure, I'm glad the team is 3-0. But I'm curious what Holly's process is. What do her practices look like? What does she focus on?

Glad your not the coach, 3 games into the season, here you stay the same, players have to play, through the good and bad, especially when the good outweighs the bad, especially if they are your competitors...

Jasmine had two turnovers, two blocks...12 points 5-9 shooting, in 17 minutes, that says more minutes.

Reynolds, needs to move more without the ball, she's learning how to play basketball, without the ball being in her hand most of the time, our team has the potential to be.... so excited...

I'll gladly take back my sentiments if Jones can put together a few consistent games and Reynolds can hit a few layups and, oh my, maybe a three-pointer once a month!

Please name one elite team that substitutes as much as Holly has during her HC stint? You can't. Holly coaches as if she's in Vegas rolling dice.

Do you honestly think playing 11 players with countless different lineups can build continuity and cohesion? Personally, I don't.

One thing in which I do agree: thank goodness I'm not the coach. Many parents would hate me because if their girls didn't produce consistently, they'd ride the pine.

She don't want to get it out of them this early in the season, its still a long season, we just need to see our team get better each game, our gurls couldn't shoot the rock tonite, but they still played defense and got turnovers when it mattered, and found a way to win.

They dont have to be Championship ready now, but we do want to see consistency in the things we do, and based on two games Russell and Graves, have been our most productive and efficient players.

The problem is much bigger than poor shooting. She has thoroughbreds and she will not let them run.

Our team is being tested early, if we see that defense again, I bet we would be better. The season is a progression, we got better tonite, some players got better tonite. We played solid defense.

they all ain't gone be pretty and fancy games, like the first game. ijs

Bring on Chatty, let's go Jasmine, Russell, and Graves...Coop i'll add the (er) when u play under control. :)

The problem is much bigger than poor shooting. She has thoroughbreds and she will not let them run.

Nope, she's teaching her thoroughbreds how to run, how to run, get in shape, rebound, play both ends of the floor hard, and still have your legs to knock down shots when they matter, cos all the final teams do....it just don't happen for 40 minutes for each team, its a process, finding the five players that all play hard, then try to make the players recognize each other strengths, and each year that process starts over and she's been to the final four 18 times, so she knows what that looks like... ijs Knowhaimean,

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that you are in charge of something here.

Except that Lady Vol basketball is still basketball, and sometimes basketball is about squeaking out wins against lesser teams.

I am not delusional at all. I am in charge. I am a fan. I get to vote with my pocketbook. I will be in Ktown next week and usually my family of five would attend a game or two, but we did not last year and will not this year. Something will have to change before CHW gets my vote. I do hope she can prove me wrong, but the longer this goes the more doubts I have.

Ivy, I respect your views--we probably agree on more than it may seem. I don't agree that PSU and Syracuse are good teams. Im guessing middle of the pack Big Ten and ACC respectively. I think there are a lot of valid concerns being voiced where the origin of those concerns go back years due to the repetitive nature of the issues--it's not just based on three games. Certainly not worthy of s short bus comment but I digress.

At some point we will reach an inflection point in the Holky Warlick tenure. I think this year is it. She won't be fired for sure. But the results this year will determine whether she's here 3 more years or 10 more. The fans are watching. The recruits definitely are watching. Given the roster we have if not now when?

Last edited:
I'll gladly take back my sentiments if Jones can put together a few consistent games and Reynolds can hit a few layups and, oh my, maybe a three-pointer once a month!

Please name one elite team that substitutes as much as Holly has during her HC stint? You can't. Holly coaches as if she's in Vegas rolling dice.

Do you honestly think playing 11 players with countless different lineups can build continuity and cohesion? Personally, I don't.

One thing in which I do agree: thank goodness I'm not the coach. Many parents would hate me because if their girls didn't produce consistently, they'd ride the pine.

Sounds like an awesome recruiter...lol at least she has that option, ijs, barring injury, cohesion will happen, especially when you play more games...and they way the games are being called. Thank you Holly.

Rotations always works itself out when playing time is based on performance and production. What have you done for me lately? Not what you have done or is going to do?

So, our team has a lot of room for improvements, and that gets me excited... the only team that looked polished is Uconn, keep getting better ladies..

VN Store

Back