Rick Barnes thread (merged) (expected to be named TN coach 3/30 4:00pm)

Would a Rick Barnes hire make you happy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What would our future look like with Barnes at the helm and Summitt as an assistant and heir to the program? I believe it could be dynastic!

Reactions: 1 person
Hire Barnes just to piss everyone off because when we hired Butch Jones no one believed in him either.

@newyscruggs: If I'm Rick Barnes I run to #Tennessee. He's got more @NCAA tournament appearances as a head coach (22) than the #Vols do as a program. (20)

Wow, that says it all. Barnes has more NCAA tourney appearances than our ENTIRE program and a lot of our fans say he's not good enough. Geez.

Wow, that says it all. Barnes has more NCAA tourney appearances than our ENTIRE program and a lot of our fans say he's not good enough. Geez.

In 28 years of coaching, he's made it past the first weekend a grand total of 5 times, which means, if there's a big game to win, he never does.

I think he would level it out and bring in talent. I'm not over the top for him but I honestly am a little numb to the situation. I am ready for football, basketballs bringing me down.

22 NCAA tourney appearances would indicate yes.

Making the tournament is the basketball equivalent of the Mendoza line. A "winner" is one who actually wins in the tournament. Barnes doesn't. Tom Izzo is a winner. Bruce Pearl is a winner. If you are in the NCAA tournament coaching opposite Rick Barnes, you are going to be the winner.

Of course, if you like being 4th in the conference each year and losing to the 7 seed each year, then, by all means, he's your guy.

Nope, I don't think were UK. Yeah, he's done awesome things at Texas, but he's been slipping. He's a good coach, but not a long time solution for us. There is a good reason why every one wants him out of Texas. It would take a lot of passion to come here and put in all the effort to build relationships so he could land those top recruits and get us to the dance every year. I'm not sure he has enough left in the tank for all of that.

I'm not asking for approval or for people to agree with me. I stand by what I said, and that's that. People don't have to like it.

People in Austin want him gone because he was good early on and has slipped. His "slipping seasons" is something we would kill for those records now.

Who? Besides Smart, Mack, Miller, Marshall and Prohm? Because the only one of those who is reasonable is prohm and he signed an extension. Also they can't be successful for just one year

It's a short list, and Prohm's not even on it. Like I said, we won't hire them, but if were gonna pay that type of money for Barnes, you mise well try. We will hire a Prohm type of coach. It may not be him, but that extension isn't a deal breaker. It's all about the buy out.

Since Bruce left we have barely scratched the AP poll. As in no "other teams receiving votes."

Barnes, otoh, has had teams seemingly forever in the polls. Number 1 even. And more trips to the Dance than any UT coach ever BY FAR.

If we somehow are fortunate enough...with all that has befallen us of late...to to get the chance to hire this guy...oh hell yeah you grab it.

Reactions: 2 people
He's a great recruiter...mediocre coach. Plainly put, his teams are poorly coached. They have all this talent and it looks like they just roll the ball out and say go play. I agree he could get us to the tourney, but thats mainly due to his recruiting prowess. Just one example: he had a team with arguably the most talented college player ever (Durant) along with tons of other high level talent and they lost 10 games and got upset in the second round. But this happens often with him. So, I guess I would be ok with Barnes since he would get us some talent and a decent number of wins, but I'd prefer a better "coach".

Making the tournament is the basketball equivalent of the Mendoza line. A "winner" is one who actually wins in the tournament. Barnes doesn't. Tom Izzo is a winner. Bruce Pearl is a winner. If you are in the NCAA tournament coaching opposite Rick Barnes, you are going to be the winner.

Of course, if you like being 4th in the conference each year and losing to the 7 seed each year, then, by all means, he's your guy.

You do understand big 12 basketball from top to bottom is light years above the sec and has been for some time. When tournament time has come he may not have one the big game but all bets are out the window come tournament time. I would gladly take a guy whose coached 700 games and has a 69-70% winning percentage. Yes, I will take anything that can keep us stable for awhile. It's not like overnight we will be competing for national championships no matter who you hire. This is our 3rd coach in 4 years. I don't know if you have ever ran a business but if you got burned 3 times now would you be really wanting to take another "risk"? Simply no, I want a guy who has shown consistency in winning because once again, we are already set back years due to all of the turmoil here. Sorry buddy, go root for the cats if you realistically think we will be competing for national championships in a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
It's a short list, and Prohm's not even on it. Like I said, we won't hire them, but if were gonna pay that type of money for Barnes, you mise well try. We will hire a Prohm type of coach. It may not be him, but that extension isn't a deal breaker. It's all about the buy out.

And that person will be better than what Rick Barnes can offer?

You do understand big 12 basketball from top to bottom is light years above the sec and has been for some time. When tournament time has come he may not have one the big game but all bets are out the window come tournament time. I would gladly take a guy whose coached 700 games and has a 69-70% winning percentage. Yes, I will take anything that can keep us stable for awhile. It's not like overnight we will be competing for national championships no matter who you hire. This is our 3rd coach in 4 years. I don't know if you ever ran a business but if you got burned 3 times now would you be really wanting to take another "risk"? Simply no, I want a guy who has shown consistency in winning because once again, we are already set back years due to all of the turmoil here. Sorry buddy, go root for the cats if you realistically think we wI'll be competing for national championships in a few years.

Don't pull the "go root for the ________" crap because I have higher standards and expectations than you do for the program. Apparently, I care more than you about the state of the program because you are ***** footing around in fear of the "turmoil" without realizing that a good coach can change everything, as demonstrated at UT and elsewhere time and time again.

Yes, we know exactly what you will get with Barnes, mediocrity. "Stability" is the biggest cop out, weasel, candy ass, limp wristed justification for hiring the "safe" choice.

Reactions: 1 person
And that person will be better than what Rick Barnes can offer?

A Marshall, Smart, Few, Mack would be better than what Barnes could offer. What we will hire won't be better than what Barnes can offer though. Somewhere you have missed my point even though I've said it numerous times. I'll say it once more.

At the cost it would take to get Barnes, we could get a quality, proven mid-major guy with a lot more upside. He would have more years left in coaching, more passion, and so on. He won't have a lengthy resume like Barnes, but still a impressive one. It probably wouldn't be a Marshall or Smart for the price we could get Barnes, but above a Prohm, Hurley, Hunter, etc.

Chris Mack salary: $860k. You don't think we could get him for the 2.5 million Barnes makes?

Article is a little outdated, but still puts things in perspective as far as coaches salaries.

Cronin 28th, Mack 39th in coaches' salary rankings

Last edited:
Tom Panders before Barnes was just as good as Barnes, who didn't have to build much of anything at Texas. Being able to compete with everyone on our schedule is such a low, low bar.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong here? What happened to people with expectations, a vision of success? Pearl came here and said "we are going to win". What the hell happened to that attitude?

Dammit people, come on! Could we have a little modicum of pride in saying that we need to find someone to be successful and not just reach the bare minimum each year?

I have no idea what point you're trying to make. You say going after a guy like Barnes is "bare minimum", but you're pushing for to go after unproven mid major hires which is exactly what we usually do.

You're not making much sense.

Reactions: 2 people
A Marshall, Smart, Few, Mack would be better than what Barnes could offer. What we will hire won't be better than what Barnes can offer though. Somewhere you have missed my point even though I've said it numerous times. I'll say it once more.

At the cost it would take to get Barnes, we could get a quality, proven mid-major guy. Probably not a Marshall or Smart, but above a Prohm.

And who is that?

I have no idea what point you're trying to make. You say going after a guy like Barnes is "bare minimum", but you're pushing for to go after unproven mid major hires which is exactly what we usually do.

You're not making much sense.

No, I'm saying that getting to the tournament is the bare minimum and, if we're going with a guy like Barnes who's proven that this is ceiling, then we are wasting our time with someone who will keep us at a mediocre level. We need to aim for a higher ceiling.

VN Store

Back